Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps

Is tarp suspension with bridge different from gathered end? WWRR lovers understand

In a few days I'm going to review setting up a bridge hammock for my housemate to use on a Kayak trip. I love my bridge hammock but mostly use a gathered end because I seem to have more flexibility with the trees (distance apart) I can use. But she loves her RR and plans to use it. The apex of the WWRR's two suspension cords, when hung, is about 13 ft. end to end. So I started thinking about that.

I'm very familiar with a continuous ridge line and the usual 11 ft tarp. And how the loop around the tree creates a "gap" the single line from the gathered end hammock goes through so when it swings a bit it doesn't bother the tarp - all is good there. But then I started thinking about the ridge runner and that 13 foot span... . First, that puts the double lines (that come together at the apex "buckle") outside the coverage area of the tarp - so I'm wondering about drip issues in the rain. If the rain just ran down the line to where it connects to the spreader bar, that would be a drip stop. But if the RR is in a sock, those lines go through grommet holes in the sock so the "drip", if it follow the line through those holes, will end up inside on the bottom of the sock.

Also, it seems if the tarp is to be strung low, its suspension has to go between the two lines coming from the spreader bars. It seems like the two lines at the hammock ends would be too wide to go through the "loop" of the continuous ridge line because that loop narrows at the tarp end.

So RR lovers out there - how do you handle that wide distance between the apex points being outside the coverage of the tarp? I'll check youtube again too.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    The RR comes with a length of cord meant to be cut into four pieces and tied to each of the suspension triangle's dog bones as drip lines.

Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps
    My RR came with an extra piece of shock cord. If there was an extra length of some other cord in the package I didn't see it.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    I ordered a tarp with a 13' ridgeline.
    Added drip strings to RR suspension everywhere needed.
    The tree strap wraps around tree, then fastens to itself with a dutch clip so only one piece of webbing extends to the RR triangles.
    Tarp suspension depends on each unique hang site... sometimes the RR webbing is between the two sides of the tarp suspension. ..othertimes the tarp suspension is fastened near the tree and a single length of it goes either left or right of the RR webbing.
    RR hang angle is between 20° and 25° and my tarp is always hung high enough to stay above the RR triangles
    Hope that helps
    HYOH!
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Thank you for the posts. If that extra cord is supposed to be a drip line, I wouldn't imagine it would be shock cord. Note that I mentioned my RR is inside a sock. I love the RR but it is a pain to have to take the doggones off the apex hardware in order to remove the sock. For those who don't know, the connectors on the spreader bars - a natural drip point - are INSIDE the sock. The suspension lines go through metal grommets. That said, I left the setup outside yesterday while away kayaking and a rain storm flashed through town - pretty heavy. Though the sock isn't waterproof, the only water that go it was because I left the sock unzipped a little on both sides. So there was a very small puddle inside the hammock. and even though the hammock material isn't "waterproof", the weave was so tight the water just sat on top of the hammock and didn't make it's way down to the UQ.

I was worried that rain would make its way down the suspension lines - because it seems the lines would be out side the tarp where they come to the apex (natural drip point). So water would go down those lines, through the grommet, and continue to the natural drip point at the spreader bars, which are inside the sock.

It's not the webbing (or whoopie sling) part of the suspension I was concerned with, it was the "triangle" part of the suspension. I can see how hanging the tarp high would avoid that, but then it can be subject to blowing rain, especially if the direction changes so it comes in through the ends. In my case, I use the sock and that would be enough. My housemate "thinks" she might be claustrophobic but she felt that about the bug net until she realized that she was more bug-a-phobic. Now she likes the net. Maybe one night in the rain and she will find the sock - which I had customized so it has doors on both sides - not so bad.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    The drip line cord that comes with the Ridgerunner is basically just thin black strings. I think mine came in a small clear plastic baggie thing. Didn't know what it was at first -- its easy to lose. But any string will do.

If you replace the two triangular apex buckles with Dutch biners, you can more easily remove / replace the Spindrift sock. This won't necessarily help with the rain dripping in, but makes it easier to unhook your (mostly dry) RR (+sock) from the wet suspension.

Warbonnet sells an undercover poncho thing to fix the blowing rain issue.

Hope this helps...

They are orange, so quite visible, but the fake sham-wow towels from DollarTree, when cut into narrow strips, make dynamite drip lines. They literally grab water and direct it downward. I use them on my RR and have had no problem. As Loki said, put them where they are needed, they're cheap and easy to use.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

• + New Posts