Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

I'm New Here, and I've Just Bought a Hammock

After a very painful night's sleep, on my last outing, many knowledgeable folk over at BCUSA suggested a hammock might be in my future. So, I've read a bunch, watched some Shug Emery youtube videos, bought a cheap hammock to have a go, (a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro), and now I have a few questions.

- Do actually I need a ridgeline?
    - If yes, is there any simple way to use a ridgeline with this hammock?

- Will I be content with the hanging ropes supplied with the hammock?
    - If no, with what do I replace them?

I'll have other questions about pads, under quilts, over quilts, and my own sanity for starting down this road,,, but later.

I do have a good tarp, a 10'X12' Kondos Outdoors,,,

Thanks in advance,,,

Hammock
    SLD TR, BIAS HL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ, AHE
    Suspension
    DW Whoopies/Straps
    Welcome Haggis,
    Im new here too. I have been doing a lot of reading on HF so take this for what its worth. I believe the GTSBP is a good hammock. Integrated bugnet so you wont have to look into that yet. You will probably want a SRL to help find a comfortable sag. I believe it 83% of hammock length +/-. So yes I would say in the long run. Most switch out provided suspension with other options, such as whoopie slings, webbing etc. All of your questions can be answered by just reading posts here at HF. This is what has helped me the most, just reading. You will learn a lot on what you are looking for. Be warned though this can get addictive. So Im not liable for any purchases you make. Its best to hide the CC and any available cash and just read for the time being. Search the cottage vendors to look at gear and accessories. Look into the local group hang forum, maybe there is someone close to help you into this. Anyway, welcome again. Shugs vids are great! Im pretty sure hes in MN. Look him up or contact him here through PM. I'd love to hang with Shug.....whatta hoot. Good luck, keep reading and keep posting. Any questions just ask, you will get answers.

Hammock
    SLD TR, BIAS HL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ, AHE
    Suspension
    DW Whoopies/Straps
    Welcome Haggis,
    Im new here too. I have been doing a lot of reading on HF so take this for what its worth. I believe the GTSBP is a good hammock. Integrated bugnet so you wont have to look into that yet. You will probably want a SRL to help find a comfortable sag. I believe it 83% of hammock length +/-. So yes I would say in the long run. Most switch out provided suspension with other options, such as whoopie slings, webbing etc. All of your questions can be answered by just reading posts here at HF. This is what has helped me the most, just reading. You will learn a lot on what you are looking for. Be warned though this can get addictive. So Im not liable for any purchases you make. Its best to hide the CC and any available cash and just read for the time being. Search the cottage vendors to look at gear and accessories. Look into the local group hang forum, maybe there is someone close to help you into this. Anyway, welcome again. Shugs vids are great! Im pretty sure hes in MN. Look him up or contact him here through PM. I'd love to hang with Shug.....whatta hoot. Good luck, keep reading and keep posting. Any questions just ask, you will get answers.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    The answer is YES.

A ridgeline insures that you hang with a consistent sag every time. The sag determines your comfort, so it's very important.

Don't use ropes around a tree, no matter what. Use 1" wide polyester straps. Make sure they are 100% polyester or else they will stretch through the night and you will wake up on the ground.

You will add a top quilt and under quilt as time goes by. At least you are starting in summer. There are many ways to go with quilts from very inexpensive sleeping bag conversions to heavenly soft down.

No, your sanity will not come back, but don't sweat it.

Oh, welcome to the forums!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    I was pretty comfortable for a month in my ENO DN before I even knew what a ridgeline was, though my comfort varied quite a bit from night to night because of lack of a consistent setup. I think you can get a pretty good feel for the comfort of a hang without one. A far-from-perfect hang can still feel better than being on the ground. When I was first trying out a hammock the single biggest thing that impacted the comfort of my night was lack of adequate bottom insulation, or if my head was higher than my feet when I would lay in the hammock. The comfort through consistency provided by a ridgeline came in a distant third to those first two for me personally.

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    I agree with all of the above. The key is hike your own hike and hang your own hang. There are many options and not every option is right for everyone. Try some out. Ask questions. Hang with other locals so you can see what they are doing. Start with some of your ground equipment such as your sleeping bag as a top quilt, use your pad for under insulation. That way you learn for yourself what works and what you like without spending a ton. Oh, and in case you didn't notice yet, you will spend, and spend, and collect, then sell, then buy some more.

But that is part of the fun. Welcome!
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

I have a foam pad, and figured to add a poncho liner of some sort under my sleeping bag. I have read that my feet will need to be slightly lower than my head: too low and I'll slide down, too high and circulation problems. Still, the cold from below is already a fretful prospect,,,

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Most people like their feet slightly higher than their head. The pad works but it will slip and move around. You are correct, CBS cold butt syndrome is a problem that must be dealt with. Anything under around 70 degrees will feel cold underneath. Good luck!
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    A pad is the cheapest way to prevent CBS. Pads work much better with double layered hammocks. Here's a pad tip: Put several spots of silicone on both sides of the pad. Silicone is just a bit sticky and will keep the pad from squirming around between the layers.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    T

No, your sanity will not come back, but don't sweat it.
    Sanity is overrated, comfort is not.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast