Hammock
    Eno Db nest and DIY acu camo hammoc
    Tarp
    Cheap blue tarp :(
    Insulation
    Diy Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I found this forum over the winter and got into hammock camping this summer. Started with a dn eno and now I have a sewing machine and have made my own hammock, underquilt, integrated big net and also have made numerous hammocks for friends. This site is addictive and sleeping in hammocks is also very addictive. Have fun and take alook at the diy section. It will really suck you into the hammock world!!
    CrappyfishRman

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    I choose Kondos Outdoors tarp because it weighs and has the features of other tarps in that price range, but also the shop that makes them is just outside Ely, Minnesota, an hour's drive from where I live. They made changes I wanted, and will repair it any time, if it ever needs repaired.

I have read that ropes can damage the bark on trees, so I will look into getting some straps and quick releases.
    The description of that Kondos Outdoors Tarps sounds good. I went back and looked more closely believe it is 10' along ridge line and hangs down 6' on each side. If this is true should provide more side coverage than the typical hammock specific tarp sold by other vendors. This may be good in heavy precipitation but more of challenge to set up in porch view, no big deal. Weight may be why most tarps are so short on the sides. What is the weight of this Kondos tarp? I have some very heavy tarps used for car camping. So Pattern is rectangular, pull bottom corners together on windward side to reduce rain/snow blowing in. i.e. form a bit of a door. Good you can get it repaired, always a chance branch may fall and rip it.

Some people use modified 1" straps from Harbor Freight which work fine and are very cheap, or buy webbing from a local fabric store and sew a loop in one or both ends but others prefer to buy high quality straps from a vendor that specializes in them. I have used many different straps over the years, major concern is that with exposure to UV/sunlight they deteriorate and will eventually break so something rated at only 200-400 lbs worries me. 500 up to 3000 pound rating is better. I.e. there is not just one right way but common sense can save you time and money. Hang low to ground so if something fails your fall is less than from a typical chair, place boots under or whatever. I am paranoid raccoons will run off with boots so like to have them rub up against me if possible. Camp enough and you will have coons carry of everything imaginable even stuff tied down and very heavy. This is advantage of hammock, I can see them and jump out scare them or just sit there and hiss at them, throw a rock or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    The description of that Kondos Outdoors Tarps sounds good. I went back and looked more closely believe it is 10' along ridge line and hangs down 6' on each side. If this is true should provide more side coverage than the typical hammock specific tarp sold by other vendors. This may be good in heavy precipitation but more of challenge to set up in porch view, no big deal. Weight may be why most tarps are so short on the sides. What is the weight of this Kondos tarp? I have some very heavy tarps used for car camping. So Pattern is rectangular, pull bottom corners together on windward side to reduce rain/snow blowing in. i.e. form a bit of a door. Good you can get it repaired, always a chance branch may fall and rip it.

Some people use modified 1" straps from Harbor Freight which work fine and are very cheap, or buy webbing from a local fabric store and sew a loop in one or both ends but others prefer to buy high quality straps from a vendor that specializes in them. I have used many different straps over the years, major concern is that with exposure to UV/sunlight they deteriorate and will eventually break so something rated at only 200-400 lbs worries me. 500 up to 3000 pound rating is better. I.e. there is not just one right way but common sense can save you time and money. Hang low to ground so if something fails your fall is less than from a typical chair, place boots under or whatever. I am paranoid raccoons will run off with boots so like to have them rub up against me if possible. Camp enough and you will have coons carry of everything imaginable even stuff tied down and very heavy. This is advantage of hammock, I can see them and jump out scare them or just sit there and hiss at them, throw a rock or whatever.
    I had the folk at Kondos weigh my new tarp when I picked it up, and it was near about 2 pounds. I don't remember the exact figure, but about 2 pounds.

Not many raccoons here. I'd wager there are several black bears for every raccoon I'd have visit my camps. I've lived in Northern Minnesota for 20 years and I trap every fall and winter. I've caught one raccoon in all those years.

This is the tarp I bought,,, with the extras mentioned. I've had it out a time or two. It's a nice tarp.

https://www.kondosoutdoors.com/produ...xe-tarp-10-x12

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    A 2 lb. tarp? I assume you're not a backpacker.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    A 2 lb. tarp? I assume you're not a backpacker.
    I canoe mostly. I carry a smaller daypack most times when snowshoeing the bush in winter. In my daypack is a Sea to Summit poncho tarp that weighs 8-ish ounces.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Haggis, my story is similar to yours and many others. 9 nights on the ground in the Grand Canyon put me over the edge, no pun intended. If the SB doesn't fit your needs, don't give up on hammocks before you try something else. I can tell you that on my last 3 river trips, I slept like a baby instead of lying on the ground wishing the sun would hurry up and rise.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    Currently eno single
    Tarp
    Silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle soon;)
    Images
    After a very painful night's sleep, on my last outing, many knowledgeable folk over at BCUSA suggested a hammock might be in my future. So, I've read a bunch, watched some Shug Emery youtube videos, bought a cheap hammock to have a go, (a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro), and now I have a few questions.

- Do actually I need a ridgeline?
    - If yes, is there any simple way to use a ridgeline with this hammock?

- Will I be content with the hanging ropes supplied with the hammock?
    - If no, with what do I replace them?

I'll have other questions about pads, under quilts, over quilts, and my own sanity for starting down this road,,, but later.

I do have a good tarp, a 10'X12' Kondos Outdoors,,,

Thanks in advance,,,
    I am a BCUSA member as well. I am running a much smaller and cheaper setup than you and I love it man. You have a nice little setup.

--John

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytongret View Post
    I am a BCUSA member as well. I am running a much smaller and cheaper setup than you and I love it man. You have a nice little setup.

--John
    Hey John.
    If a fella has what makes him happy, cost has little to with it. I'm still trying to get the lowdown tree straps now. I think everyone has steered me in the right direction on ridge lines, sleeping gear, and such like. I keep inching along. It seems there are a 100 correct solutions to every real or imagined problem, so it may simply come down again to what makes a fella happy.

Maybe I'll catch up with you over on the BCUSA forum? Take care out there,,,

Hammock
    Currently eno single
    Tarp
    Silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle soon;)
    Images
    Hey John.
    If a fella has what makes him happy, cost has little to with it. I'm still trying to get the lowdown tree straps now. I think everyone has steered me in the right direction on ridge lines, sleeping gear, and such like. I keep inching along. It seems there are a 100 correct solutions to every real or imagined problem, so it may simply come down again to what makes a fella happy.

Maybe I'll catch up with you over on the BCUSA forum? Take care out there,,,
    Indeed maybe we will happen apon each other there as well. If you have any questions on ether forum please let me know.

--John

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytongret View Post
    Indeed maybe we will happen apon each other there as well. If you have any questions on ether forum please let me know.

--John
    Thanks John,,, wil do,,,

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast