Hennessy Expedition
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    thermarest and ccf
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessy

Anyone tried a thermarest toughskin?

Seems like the toughskin would work great in a hammock and maybe a great upgrade from my cheap inflatable pad on a blue walmart special. It's basically a normal thermarest pad, but with a layer of ccf built into the bottom. It's got a really high R-value, and I saw it at the store and it rolls surprisingly tight too (much tighter than a normal ccf pad). Anyone have any experience with it? (or any opinions.....since it is fairly new)

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Para 18

I compared the Toughskin Large against the Exped 9 Deluxe because the Toughskin Large is 25 inches wide which is what a lot of people like for their pad width in a hammock. Plus I have the Exped Down Air 9 Deluxe and like it a lot. No experience with the Toughskin.

Toughskin: Large
    R value: 5.2
    Thickness: 1.5 in
    Width: 25
    Length: 77
    Rolled Dimensions: 26 x 6.0 in (66 x 15 cm)
    Wt: 2 lbs. 10 oz
    Price: $127.46 Campsaver

Exped DAM Deluxe 9
    R value 8 - Temperature rated to -40ºF (I get cold below 20 degrees in my hammock)
    Thickness: 3.5 in. (9 cm.)
    Width: 26 inches
    Length: 76 inches
    Rolled dimensions: 11 x 7 in. (28 x 18 cm.)
    Total weight: 2 lbs 12 oz (44 oz. - 1260 g.)
    Price: 180.00 REI

The Exped is 2 oz heavier but the R value is warmer. The Exped is also more expensive but you can often get them at end-of-season sales a lot cheaper. I got mine used on this forum for $80. I've never gotten mine to roll as tight as the listed rolled dimensions.

Nice thing about the Toughskin it looks like you don't have to fool with a pump like you do with the down mats. Many feel that the bag pump on the Expeds is a pain in the butt.

If money is no object, the differential cut underquilts are VERY nice and lighter! JRB, Speer.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    thermarest and ccf
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessy
    Thanks HappyCamper, that is a good comparison, however I'm interested in getting a size small (just for under the torso as separation between torso and legs for pads works well for me in the hennessy), and I dont like very thick bottom insulation as I find that instability and sliding around are caused by being raised up too much from the hammock. Basically what I'm looking for is a small pad for under the torso because I find inflatable pads to be much more comfortable than blue foam ccf for me as a side sleeper. I also dont need it to be thicker than 20 inches, since I sleep on my side. I would just get a prolite 3 small, but then it would either be too cold on it's own (I'm predicting) or too complicated with having it on top of ccf. So maybe ccf and inflatable in one would be very nice and simple. Also, I know that underquilts are probably a better option all around, but would just like info on pads for the time being. Thanks

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Understand. Yes, my DAM does raise me up quite a bit. I feel it more in my HH than in the BB.

If you are getting this mat for its insulating value for colder weather, you may want to save your old Walmart pad and make it into wings to keep your sides warm if you feel the cold coming into your hammock from the sides when using the narrower Toughskin. That helped me at Mt. Rogers when it was really windy and below 32 degrees even with the wider Exped. Putting some CCF along the sides help to cut the wind coming through sides and kept me warmer.

Please keep up posted if you end up getting the Toughskin.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

• + New Posts