BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    just wondering what kinda knots you fellas employ on the tarp guylines and the line running from the tarp to the tree
    On the lines that run from my tarp to the tree: I use straps that I've made from mule-tape. These I wrap around the tree above the straps from my hammock (if hammock is hung first) or above where I think the hammock straps will go. On my tarp line going to the tree, I've added the small size of those hitchcraft thingys. Just pull rope through straps, attach to those thingsy and tighten to where I want it. Easy to adjust if needed.

On guylines to stake out tarp: Bowline to tie line to tarp. Clove hitch to add shockcord tensioners to line. And taut-line hitch at the end to adjust length of line and to make a stake out loop. All of these are very easy knots and once you tie them, most don't have to be retied. All knots should be inspected though while you're using them.

Before I started using that hitchcraft thingy, I used a slip bowline to tie the tarp to the tree strap. The thingy thing is just soooo much easier to adjust.
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Winter Dream v.2
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    Images
    1. It sounds like some folks are wrapping the tarp ridgeline around trees without straps. Is that becasue the load is lighter on the tarp and there's less of a chance of damaging the bark?

2. With cat cut tarps, is there a problem with runing a full length ridge line instead of attaching separate "ridge" lines to each D ring? I'm currently using the standard HH tarp that attaches to the suspension via Prussik knots and I like the ease of centering by sliding it back and forth. I plan on upgrading to a separate, larger tarp soon and thought of rigging a similar system with some shock cord tensioners, still possible with two separate lines, except the Prussik know configuration.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billvann View Post
    1. It sounds like some folks are wrapping the tarp ridgeline around trees without straps. Is that because the load is lighter on the tarp and there's less of a chance of damaging the bark?
    That's correct. The only tension on the tarp lines is the tension you apply in hanging the tarp and it is not weighted additionally like the hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by billvann View Post
    2. With cat cut tarps, is there a problem with runing a full length ridge line instead of attaching separate "ridge" lines to each D ring? I'm currently using the standard HH tarp that attaches to the suspension via Prussik knots and I like the ease of centering by sliding it back and forth. I plan on upgrading to a separate, larger tarp soon and thought of rigging a similar system with some shock cord tensioners, still possible with two separate lines, except the Prussik know configuration.
    There's no problem with that. In fact, I think Grizz posted that he does something similar. The only thing to watch for is that you aren't introducing a direct path for rainwater to flow down with the full ridge cord.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    just wondering what kinda knots you fellas employ on the tarp guylines and the line running from the tarp to the tree on the maccats.
    I use tautlines on my guys and when i dont care about weight fig 9s on the ridge.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekul View Post
    I use tautlines on my guys and when i dont care about weight fig 9s on the ridge.
    They only weigh 2 grams each, practically nothin

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Can somebody comment on the knots they are using to tie the string to the dring on the tarp, whether nylon or plastic. I get the fig 9/lock thing but what kinda knot is actually tied to the dring on the maccat?

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    anything that holds the tarp from blowing away.
    your choices are endless..prussik seems popular
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Haven't made my tarp yet, but I'd bet people tie a loop in the line, and pop it through the D-ring and thread the other end through the loop. It's called a Lark's Head knot or if you run the tail end through twice, it's a prussik. Either way will work. Or you could go really simple and just tie a bowline through the D-ring.

Hope that helps,
    Acer

ETA: Heh, Gargoyle beat me to the punch.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I form a small loop with a bowline knot, and then feed the standing end of the line through the D-ring and back through the loop to form a lark's head. That is secure and makes it very easy to remove from the tarp as needed.

I have no idea if that is typical, though. This question hasn't really been asked on the forum much.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by acercanto View Post
    Haven't made my tarp yet, but I'd bet people tie a loop in the line, and pop it through the D-ring and thread the other end through the loop. It's called a Lark's Head knot or if you run the tail end through twice, it's a prussik. Either way will work. Or you could go really simple and just tie a bowline through the D-ring.

Hope that helps,
    Acer

ETA: Heh, Gargoyle beat me to the punch.
    this is how i do it too, makes a nice clean connection that's easy to remove. for the rl lines however, i do the opposite, i attach line to tree in the same manner instead of to the pull tabs

oh, and i make the loop in the end of the line with a simple overhand on a bight or overhand loop whatever you want to call it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast