DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Hoochie
    Insulation
    DIY Under Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Thread injector choice

Looking at two singers, a 201k and a 15-96 from the Kilbowie factory too.
    but which one?
    have to admit the treadles brings back childhood memories
    opinions wanted

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Treadles can be problematic in that many parts are no longer readily available. They are great machines, but depending on the components, if something goes bad you may have a boat anchor. This is particularly true of the oscillating shuttle machines instead of the rotary bobbin. The shuttles are subject to considerable wear and are almost impossible to get now. I don't know enough about these specific machines to make an assessment, but for longevity in terms of replacement parts, I would pass on a treadle.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    You almost can't go wrong with the 15-96... It's a very capable straight stitch machine and with a minimum of care will last 3 lifetimes. There is also a Large community on-line that can offer advice, parts knowledge and support. I. Have a 15-90 and love it... I would buy a 15-96 in a heartbeat even though I have 3 machines already....
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Parts shouldn't shouldn't be much of a problem with the 15-96 as millions of Singer class 15 machines were made so there are many donor machines out there. It has an oscillating shuttle.

The 201k was one of the best machines Singer ever made.

Assuming it looks like this and is in decent shape...

2011-08-10_290.jpg

...buy it!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    ...This is particularly true of the oscillating shuttle machines instead of the rotary bobbin. The shuttles are subject to considerable wear and are almost impossible to get now....
    RR...are you thinking of the vibrating shuttle machines with the shuttle that looks like a boat?

An oscillating shuttle is like a rotary shuttle but goes back and forth instead of all the way around. They are not really subject to wear.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    You almost can't go wrong with the 15-96... It's a very capable straight stitch machine and with a minimum of care will last 3 lifetimes. There is also a Large community on-line that can offer advice, parts knowledge and support. I. Have a 15-90 and love it... I would buy a 15-96 in a heartbeat even though I have 3 machines already....
    I agree on all points. I have a few of these machines myself, but here's what I use:
    20140706_095203.jpg

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    RR...are you thinking of the vibrating shuttle machines with the shuttle that looks like a boat?

An oscillating shuttle is like a rotary shuttle but goes back and forth instead of all the way around. They are not really subject to wear.
    Thank you for a clarification. Our Domestic treadle (used commercially for years) had a shuttle that went back and forth on a carriage much like a loom shuttle. It looked like a torpedo and used a long narrow spool instead of a round bobbin. We obviously are not talking about the same thing. Eventually the surface of the shuttle got worn out and would have needed to be replaced. We would have had to have one custom machined. I withdraw my concern about available parts.

My only other experience with the down side of treadles is the need to properly tension the belt. But again I suspect this is no longer a problem. Our domestic did not have a tension adjuster on it so the belt had to measured just right and re-cut as the leather stretched out. A simple idler adjustment would have corrected that problem and no doubt those were added as the home market matured.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Hey mate - just get both .

I have a 201 treadle - well I actually bought it for my wife but it is just a great machine and will sew anything.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Treadles are really neat. I just visited a guy yesterday that has dozens of them all over his house, made me want to get a few. With both of the singers you should be able to find parts as there were hundreds of thousands of them made. The odds of you needing any thing other than a good cleaning and oil in all the right places are pretty low. I'm a big fan of both model families. I have a 201 right now and just found a Model 15 made in Wittenberg, Germany that I might have to see if my wife will let into the house.

All things being equal (condition etc) I would choose the 201, no particular reason. I love old singers.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast