Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images

Peak Bag question

So I want to move my peak bag from my WBBB to my BIAS, but I would like to omit the #1 carabiner I am using to attach it to the prussic > RL. Soft shackle? Would it hold weight if I had a few articles of clothing in there? How would I attach that soft shackle to my RL? My initial thought was to tie the soft shackle as a prussic knot....
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    DP,
    There was a nice pictorial on an actual soft shackle prussik using zing it recently. They are a pain to make but work great for something you might not remove too often. I use them for securing my RL organizers to the RL
    I'll find the link and update the post.

got it--it was actually an opie post from 2010.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...dial-up-beware

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    A soft shackle is plenty strong enough to secure your peak bag.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've found that soft shackle prusiks aren't practical for hanging stuff on the ridgeline, at least not the 1.75 mm Zing-it - it takes too long to undo the constriction. Not a quick connect/disconnect - 7/64 Amsteel might work better.

Soft shackles work fine - any time you would use a carabiner use a soft shackle. I make most of mine out of Amsteel 1/8" so they can be used in weight-bearing applications if necessary (nothing wrong with 7/64 soft shackles - I just have some 1/8" I bought in a remnants sale from Redden and have to use it up).

I hang everything off my 1.75 mm Zing-It hammock ridgeline - everything. Unless it's the Pine Barrens, I leave absolutely nothing on the ground.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    Splicing is not on my "gotta learn to do this" list. But I do like prussics.

I cut a length of that very skinny orange cord (sorry) and joined the ends together and then used orange neon thread to whip the ends in a circle and then stitched in and out and around. Work fine as prussics.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Thank you very much for digging that post up for me! I will take a look right now.

I was thinking having the prussic off ridge line, opening the soft shackle and putting it through the loop of the prussic, and then through the loop of the peak bag....

Or I wonder if I could tie the prussic while the peak bag is larks headed on....hmmm
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by sandykayak View Post
    Splicing is not on my "gotta learn to do this" list. But I do like prussics.

I cut a length of that very skinny orange cord (sorry) and joined the ends together and then used orange neon thread to whip the ends in a circle and then stitched in and out and around. Work fine as prussics.
    Just don't limit your options.... Splicing 7/64 amsteel is easier than tying shoelaces, (or probably aforementioned prussic's for that matter IMHO...)

Maybe you like it, or maybe not....worth trying to find out though....

Hammock
    DH ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Superfly,Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG,INC/UGQ,FLTJ
    Suspension
    Speedos/Ankors
    I just use some shock cord, tie one end to the item to hang leaving a loop, double knot the other end then wrap like a prusik and stuff knot back through the loop. With shock cord you don't need to wrap it too tight, it's stretchy easy to adjust, and stays put well. No hardware and everything stays together.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Deadphans, what are you hanging in your peak bag? Mine is just for the night time necessities. It holds a couple of cough drops to keep from waking others, a 16 oz. soft water bag with just a few sips in it, my head light and a Taurus Public Defender. All less than 2 lbs. in a 6" x 10" or 12" DIY bag. I just used cheap mason line from HD or Lowes to tie it up to the RL. OK just reread and saw that you were just placing "a few items of clothing" in the peak bag. Soft shackles just seem to be overkill. I hang my Single Line Suspension with 2 7/64th soft shackles at the two tree huggers and hang the hammock off the SLS with 2 7/64th SS. If a SS will support this load it will support a peak bag.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts