Cotton Vs. Nylon for first time hanger converting to full time bed!?

Hello!! My name is Anthony and I've finally convinced myself to get a hammock to sleep in full time after a bunch of research! I just have a few questions about which hammock or types of hammocks I've seen around. From what I gather Brazilian hammocks seem to be the preferred route when it comes to replacing a bed, But I've come across this seeming cool (by a ton of reviews) hammock that is made of nylon.

http://www.amazon.com/Trek-Light-Gea...double+hammock

and this one which TONS more positive reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Eagles-Nest-Ou...=AAAHQWPDRAVP0

It seems a lot of people stray away from nylon due to the cold, but I live in San Diego, so the hot/cold isn't really much of an issue for me and I'm more concerned about long term comfort. I know the nylon wont last as long a a cotton one would, but the price of the above hammocks are pretty darn low and I'm currently on quite the budget so that's why I was looking into them as a possibly for in the meantime as well as to try it out without spending too much.

My other issue with cotton vs nylon is the cotton ones seem longer, and my bedroom is only 10ft x 10ft and a lot of the cotton ones seem to be quite long for that while these nylon ones fit the bill perfectly being 9 ft long and since I'll be bolting it into studs in the wall.

I would greatly appreciate any help, advice, or comments! I'm sure there are things I haven't considered so anything is welcome! Thank you all in advance!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I think cotton feels better on the skin. The trek lite and ENO hammocks are very popular for outdoor/camping use. But for me they can leave me feeling clammy indoors. I used a DIY nylon jobber for my indoor hammock while I was sleeping in it full time and that was my biggest complaint. If I couldn't find a cotton hammock to my liking I would probably build my own. It's easy enough to do. The biggest issue would be getting a suffcient width as cotton is usually made in 42-44" widths. But adding panels to the side is not that hard to do.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I think cotton feels better on the skin. The trek lite and ENO hammocks are very popular for outdoor/camping use. But for me they can leave me feeling clammy indoors. I used a DIY nylon jobber for my indoor hammock while I was sleeping in it full time and that was my biggest complaint. If I couldn't find a cotton hammock to my liking I would probably build my own. It's easy enough to do. The biggest issue would be getting a suffcient width as cotton is usually made in 42-44" widths. But adding panels to the side is not that hard to do.
    Hmm, I was actually reading that the nylon hammock (specifically the Trek) was extremely breathable and I had read some reviews on it being used as a full time bed and hadn't seen a single complaint about it being too warm or sweaty which is why I was considering it over cotton (since my house stays pretty warm all night). Is the nylon that uncomfortable on the skin in comparison to cotton? If it's more breathable it would be a worthwhile trade possible, for me at least.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thesurfingbuddie View Post
    Hmm, I was actually reading that the nylon hammock (specifically the Trek) was extremely breathable and I had read some reviews on it being used as a full time bed and hadn't seen a single complaint about it being too warm or sweaty which is why I was considering it over cotton (since my house stays pretty warm all night). Is the nylon that uncomfortable on the skin in comparison to cotton? If it's more breathable it would be a worthwhile trade possible, for me at least.
    Breathable is a different issue than what I am referring to. I'm talking about texture and absorbancy. Nylon is fine and I had no real problems with it. But I think there is a reason they don't make sheets out of nylon. Breathable means you are not going to end up in a puddle from condensation. But I found it leaving me somewhat clammy. Not wet per se, just clammy. not sure how else to put it. Given a choice.... _I_ would go for the cotton. But that's me. YMMV
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Breathable is a different issue than what I am referring to. I'm talking about texture and absorbancy. Nylon is fine and I had no real problems with it. But I think there is a reason they don't make sheets out of nylon. Breathable means you are not going to end up in a puddle from condensation. But I found it leaving me somewhat clammy. Not wet per se, just clammy. not sure how else to put it. Given a choice.... _I_ would go for the cotton. But that's me. YMMV
    Ah'ha! I see what you mean, sorry for having misunderstood. Well I'll look into some cotton ones if I can find any around the same price range that arnt too long. Any recommendations? Making my own isnt an option at the moment since I don't have a sewing machine and my gf's is busted haha

Hammock
    Brazilian Organic Merlot Family
    @Thesurfingbuddie...Your post probably would have been more appropriate in the General Hammock Talk forum.

Since your home is warm, I would recommend a Mayan hammock and for durability, the Mayan Tommy Hamaca hammock. For more info, checkout www.seasidehammocks.com. This would be a good starting point to learn about the comfort levels of different hammocks.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Some ideas to consider, Hammock every night

Starting off with a simple nylon hammock is a good idea, these are very versatile and most people want one long term regardless, so no money is actually wasted on one.

I have slept in Cotton Brazilian style hammocks for almost 50 years, both inside and outside. One of the biggest advantages is low stretch which results in more comfort while this thicker fabric still breaths. I often slept with a fan blowing from below on hot humid nights in the Amazon jungle as a kid decades ago. I also first used a nylon jungle hammock over 30 years ago, not bad but a little hotter, my parents had used those a decade or two before I was born, in Mexico, Peru, Ecuador, and Brazil. Blah, Blah.

One idea you could try that is fairly simple: buy relatively thick tablecloth fabric and whip the ends and make your own hammock, with instructions from HF DIY forum.
    http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/Tu..._60126_wht.htm

The regular thickness tablecloths in a better selection of colors may be just fine as well, and you could always use a double layer to see if that adds comfort, i.e. less stretch. Very easy to remove the whipping or knot at each end an re-do this DIY style of hammock.

Other more long term option for more $$ is to buy a cotton Brazilian style hammock from a local shop near you, I recommend stopping by this place and trying out the comfort level of some long and wide gathered end hammocks there:

http://www.swingsandthingssd.com/cus...rvice/map.html

If my math is correct, then your 10'x10' room has a diagonal of about 14'. Because a Brazilian style hammock is designed to hang at a steeper angle than a typical camping hammock you should theoretically be able to hang the longest hammock available in your room. But if I am wrong, just take the ends and tie a large knot in the cords all together and this will shorten it up some, or run it thru a large ring handing from the wall down to eyebolt below near base board. Take it from someone who has hung for almost 5 decades there is ALWAYS a solution to hang virtually anywhere. Where there is a will there is a way. Blah, Blah, if you have any specific questions just ask, there are dozens of folks here at HF who use various hammock styles to sleep almost every night of the year, and some do it for very little money, MUCH less than a typical mattress anyway.

Edit: links added below. NOTE: No Sewing machine needed to make your own hammock, whoever told you this was someone to avoid, they are not very knowledgeable.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...e-way-I-do-it)

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...mmock-whipping

Use continuous loop at each end to hang from after whipping with whatever cord type you prefer, Amsteel for CL from local sail boat supply store, West Marine or online vendors here at HF etc.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Loop-pictoral

http://www.westmarine.com/samson-rop...02_071_002_502
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 07-11-2014 at 14:27. Reason: links added

• + New Posts