Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images

Stop the Bunching

OK so what are the different ways to stop the bunching at the start & stop when working with ultralight fabric such as Argon CS67?

I read about tape in the presser foot thread but I'm thinking this fabric won't take it too well.

Messing with thread tension?
    Seems like the dogs were the issue.

Was sewing up my prototype pillow using synthetic stuffing before switching to down.

uploadfromtaptalk1404781655354.jpg

I'm reasonably happy with the way it turned out.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DIY 10' Hexon gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Good question. I don't have an answer, but I usually stretch out that bunched up part before I cut the extra thread off. Have also heard of masking tape but when I tried it my tape was old and there was sticky residue on top of it so it was holding onto the fabric, and didn't work. But maybe with the right tape it would help.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Try not starting right at the edge of the fabric.

If you're using 1/2 in seam allowance then start the needle 1" in from the end, reverse a 1/2" and then go forward.

Most of the 'bunching' when using fine fabrics is the result of running the feed dogs too close to the end of the seam.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    OK so what are the different ways to stop the bunching at the start & stop when working with ultralight fabric such as Argon CS67?
    If you start your row of stitching about 1/4" from the end and stitch backwards 2 stitches (or however many it takes to just reach the edge), you can usually put your thumb on your starting thread as you begin to stitch forward and prevent any bunching.

Edit - Pretty much the same thing The Old Boot says.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Aaaaaaaaahhhhhh

That makes sense.

Will give it a go tomorrow.
    Thank you.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Not sure if I am understanding correctly, but a technique many quilters use to make smooth transitions is to have a piece of firm scrap that you sew onto at the end of a seam and then sew off and onto your good fabric at the beginning of a seam. You can still do your fixing in place or forward and reverses to lock the thread (I also like a tiny spot of June Tailor fray block for insurance on seams that warrant it -- check on scrap that it doesn't show)

Also some very badly behaved fabrics behave better with either a really good coating of spray starch (several layers) and then hung to dry -- can be washed out later. This can tame shifty slippery fabric and make it a pleasure to sew. Another technique I use is using strips of exam room paper (used on dr's exam benches) between the top of the fabric and the presser foot. I only use this if I'm desperate because even though it tears away nicely most of the time, invariably it leaves the odd bit of crud you have to pick out with a seam ripper.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Excellent suggestions.

I am having three problems, bunching at the start, especially when back stitching, some (albeit less) bunching during the seam run and again some at the end when back stitching.

It had been suggested to me to start with another piece of thicker fabric and sew from that to the argon or maybe use a button stop as a spacer to get started.

For the pillow it doesn't matter so much, but I wanted to do some summer quilts/underquilts and was making a bunch of pillows as a warm up.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    ...I am having three problems, bunching at the start, especially when back stitching, some (albeit less) bunching during the seam run and again some at the end when back stitching....
    Keep in mind that you don't need backstitching if the seam will be crossed by another seam to lock it. That typically eliminates many of the troublesome backstitches.

Are you using a fine enough needle with an appropriate shaped point? I like schmetz. Do you have a fresh needle? A burr on the needle is a pain. Needles are cheap, especially with half off sale stock ups at Joanns. Replace them often. Are you using really heavy duty thread with a lightweight fabric? Are you using a larger seam allowance? You can get away with narrower ones on more stable fabric. I have a setting on my sewing machine that allows me to adjust the presser foot pressure. If your machine has one and you are confident adjusting it (and more importantly confident in putting it back the way it was) you can try adjusting that, possibly lightening the pressure.

If you must fix the thread and you cannot get anything else to work you can always cut the threads and tie it off by hand. You can also pull out a LITTLE thread so there is a LITTLE slack and secure the seam in the seam allowance instead of on the seam line.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast