Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to hammock camping

Hello, I have been camping in tents for many years but have never had the pleasure of trying camping in a hammock, but am very excited to do so. I have looked at several brands and have read dozens of reviews and have narrowed it down to two hammocks, Hennessy explorer deluxe and Warbonnet xcl. Both of these Hammocks are large and made for large people, which I'm not. I am about 5'6" and 180 pounds. I could go with a smaller one, but like the idea of having the extra room to maybe put a small bag or something else and it and not be cramped. Any thoughts on that?
    The other thing is that I am having a difficult time choosing between the two. I see that most people recommend the Warbonnet over the Hennessey. I really like what the warbonnets offers, especially the shelf. If I get the XCL and me being 5'6", I don't think that I will really need the foot box all that much, but I know I would get a lot of use out of the shelf. They shelf is the main reason that I am looking at the Warbonnett over the Hennessey. I really love that feature.
    But I really love the features about the Hennessey too. I like how everything is complete inside the stuff sack. I'm not intending on getting a larger tarp, so with the smaller tarp I can pull everything out of one bag, attach it to the trees, pullback the snake skins, and pretty much be done. I love the small, compact, everything together system that Hennessey offers. It looks like a very sleek system.
    I know that the warbonnet's tarps offer very good shelter and protection, and I do realize that it is not that much more time-consuming to put the tarp up over it, but it still seems like you are hanging it twice. With first the hammock system, then over top of it to reach up and secure the Ridgeline for the tarp, then through the tarp over, then securing it in place. Not to mention it seems as though it has to be packed in a separate bag, so you have to things to keep up with. This is one of the big reasons I want to get away from tent camping, to get away from a system that has several different parts to it. Again going back to the Hennessey pull everything out of one small compact bag, attach it and you're done.
    So my big question is, would it be possible to attach the tarp to the warbonnets in such a way that it stuffs in the bag like the Hennessey. Or possibly, order the smaller tarp, snakeskins, and any other accessories from Hennessy to attach it to the Warbonnet to make it pack up like a Hennessey, giving the best of both worlds?
    There is another option that I don't know if it is possible. I know that there are people who have sent their Hennessey off to have modified especially with the zipper for the side entrance. I wonder if it would be possible to have a shelf, like the Warbonnett installed?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The things you see as positive about the Hennessy, I see as negative. In inclement weather, you don't want to pack a wet tarp up with a dry hammock. Attaching the tarp to the hammock suspension is also a negative 'cause when you get in the hammock the tarp sags. Some suggest that adding shock cord to the tarp will alleviate this problem but, frankly, I don't want shock cord on my tarp and prefer a separate tarp suspension. There is nobody making a Hennessy with a shelf. If you want a hammock with a shelf it's gonna be Warbonnet 'cause they're only ones making that patent pending design.

Unless you're primarily a fair weather camper, I would recommend getting a larger tarp. The postage stamp Hennessy tarp is fine in straight-down rain but not well-suited to blowing precipitation. You'll get much better coverage out of the Hennessy Hex (a free upgrade, as I recall) or even better, the Superfly.

The Warbonnet XLC is overkill for someone your size and weight. The regular Blackbird would be fine for you, unless you just want the removeable net.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    HH Exped Classic, Dutch Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Forum Member Made
    Insulation
    JRB HR, Greylock3
    Suspension
    Rings, Whoopies
    Images
    I don't think you could have the shelf installed because I think that's part of the way the hammock body is cut. As far as all in one, you can get bigger snakeskins made or use those lazy slug things. You could get skins big enough to fit a bigger tarp.

I gather you plan to only camp when there is no chance of rain? I used my asym in a rain storm a few weeks ago for the first time. I don't ever see any rain in Texas that would allow that tarp to be sufficient. Even a little wind makes things wet.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    SilvrSurfr speaks the truth. There is something quite nice about setting your tarp up while your hammock is still nice and dry in a pack. Packing them separately definitely works better for me.

I also agree the XLC isn't the right fit for your size. I wouldn't carry that much extra fabric just to have a little more space inside for your stuff. You've got quite a bit of storage space available if you use the hammock ridgeline and the unused space in your gathered ends. You also have plenty of space to put things under you, hang things under you, or hang them off a tarp ridgeline. The Blackbird shelf is just gravy on top.

You aren't really going to get away from a shelter and sleep system that has several different parts to it by moving to a hammock. You've basically got all the same needs that you do with a tent (rain protective layer, bottom insulation, top insulation) minus the ground cloth.

I love my XLC, but if I was six inches shorter I'd definitely have bought the regular Blackbird.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I have the Hennessy Explorer Delux as one of my hammocks. I'm 5'11" & 250lb. Decent room in there for me. I agree with the rest about packing tarp separate. It gets everything wet when packed together.

I had the small tarp but later bought the hex as to raise it higher for more air circulation it was not enough coverage for me. I don't like the tarp down close. I use a separate ridgeline for my tarp so I can set up in rain without getting my hammock wet.

I can tell you from experience the hammock & fly in snake skins doesent fit back in the bag very well. I never could get them to fit well at all. You also have 4 or 6 stakes depending on which tarp you use that go in the bag. I gave my snake skins to my grandson and went to a bishop (or however you spell it) bag. Pack the hex tarp in the bag it came in.

I have tent setups that's lighter & smaller than my hammock system, and much more simple to set up. I'm just to old sleep on the ground any more. It's worth the trouble for a good night's sleep.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Prior to dipping too deep into the wallet. Go over to the DIY and check out a tablecloth hammock. Less than $20.00 bucks and you can find out whether this is right for you. Hang it in the back yard and hang a cheap poly tarp over the rig. You are in Florida and even if it doesn't rain the dew is heavy enough to soak you. You will need a bug net but these can also be thrown together at a reasonable price. Again you are in Florida and we are buggie. Begin your setup as cheaply as you can and then once you get to a few hangs and see and try what is available you will be able to make a more reasoned choice as to your kit.

Oh, welcome aboard. Keep your eye open for trip planning threads beginning in the Fall. We have 3 that come up from south Florida just to be with us and enjoy our company here in the central Florida area. Most of us Florida Hangers do our thing during the Fall, Winter and Spring. Go ahead and reserve the weekend of MLK Jr. for the 5th Annual Florida Hang. We went over 100 bodies last year and are having to relocate to a larger area. Guaranteed to be an amazing experience.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Prior to dipping too deep into the wallet. Go over to the DIY and check out a tablecloth hammock. Less than $20.00 bucks and you can find out whether this is right for you. Hang it in the back yard and hang a cheap poly tarp over the rig. You are in Florida and even if it doesn't rain the dew is heavy enough to soak you. You will need a bug net but these can also be thrown together at a reasonable price. Again you are in Florida and we are buggie. Begin your setup as cheaply as you can and then once you get to a few hangs and see and try what is available you will be able to make a more reasoned choice as to your kit.

Oh, welcome aboard. Keep your eye open for trip planning threads beginning in the Fall. We have 3 that come up from south Florida just to be with us and enjoy our company here in the central Florida area. Most of us Florida Hangers do our thing during the Fall, Winter and Spring. Go ahead and reserve the weekend of MLK Jr. for the 5th Annual Florida Hang. We went over 100 bodies last year and are having to relocate to a larger area. Guaranteed to be an amazing experience.
    ditto, what he said. I'd still have a very low initial investment, if I didn't keep making more of what I've already made (you can't have too many boats, er, hammocks). $30 for the DIY hammock with suspension, $10 for a Sheer curtain bugnet, $3 for a 9x12 plastic painter's tarp, my ground camping sleeping bag, a $50 DIY underquilt. I am also a new ham-backpacker. I hope to reduce the fuss by clipping the bug net and underquilt to the hammock and shoving it all into one stuff sack along with the sleeping bag in the hammock. Can I keep it together? I shall find out soon.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Welcome from the opposite end of Florida.
    I agree that Florida rain isn't for the weak spirited. That stuff comes at you sideways and hard. A larger, separate tarp is going to keep you happier.

As far as a Warbonnet hammock is concerned, I am 6'-1" and have ample room in my regular sized Blackbird. My son at 6'-3" is using it now.

As you will see as you read the forum, the options are seemingly endless from a cinched up tablecloth to a high-tech integrated hammock system.

The first step should be to get a good sized box. Then you will have a place to store all the hammocks you will eventually have!

Send a PM to Duffy & Mighty Mouse up there in Pensacola to get some local guidance.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Welcome Keith! MightyMouse and I are in P-cola, and are currently getting all our gear ready for a section hike of the AT in August. We would be happy to meet somewhere and show you our setups, if you are interestd. We are currently in WBBB's, but used Speer in the past. We also have tablecloth hammocks. Never used a Hennessy, but I am somewhat familiar.
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Why we do it this way

History lesson: during WW II and Vietnam War most of the jungle hammocks were integrated tarp, netting, hammock all in one and set up very fast and packed in one bag or roll but lacked flexibility and had drying problems as mentioned by experienced people above. A 1960's model was what I first camped in back in the 1970's and my Dad used WW II surplus in Mexico long before that.
    Today you have MUCH better options to choose from. Even if it is just morning dew and a light mist when you are setting up. Being able to put up your tarp first then hammock is a great option to have. Either hammock vendor is fine. Hang extra gear in DIY peak bags I.e. ur stuff sacks, also simple ridgeline bags. From line below hammock, from suspension at both ends outside bugnet. Also ask WB if he can semi custom make you a convertible regular blackbird if you backpack and need to reduce weight but for some reason want convertible option or long without that option or whatever. Brandon is somewhat flexible. But the traditional way people do these things is generally the best way, just my personal observation. Hammock technology is sooo much better than when I was a kid.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast