Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Does the WB double hold the pad well?

I'm thinking of upgrading from my current ENO double nest to a WB Blackbird. I was going to get the double because I'm 275 and I have a sleeping pad and don't want to spend the $$$$ on an underquilt just yet. My question is will the pad be well centered under you even though you are laying at an angle? Also my pad is a themarest 72x25 4 season pro. Will that fit in the pad pocket? Also can it be left un inflated? One more question. Will the non inflatable accordion style sleeping pads work with this kind of pad pocket? I was thinking I could save some weight by carrying one of these super light indestructible type pads.

Thanks,
    Dom
    Last edited by domromer; 07-20-2009 at 12:54.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    The simple answer to each of your questions...YES

I have not yet seen a pad that wouldn't fit inside my double layer BB.

That being said, the bigger question is will the pad move? Yes and no and that enitely depends on the material the pad is made of...a thermarest shouldn't move much but others have had issues with a Walmart blue ccf.
    I know my gossamer gear ccf pad doesn't slide and my z-rest stays put as well.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Also do you guys use shorter pads in your hammock since you are trying to warm your torso more so than you legs?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    For me, I only use a pad under my legs because I use a Yeti UQ. But, the logic should be the same using a pad under your torso only. I've recently been trying to figure out at what temp do I need something under my legs. So far, I've been to 40F without anything under my legs. Pretty sure I can get a couple more degrees, but after that I'm going to need something under my legs/feet.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by domromer View Post
    Also do you guys use shorter pads in your hammock since you are trying to warm your torso more so than you legs?
    in the summer and winter, I have a 2/3 UQs that I use.
    In the winter, I'll put a pad under my legs. I carry the pad in the summer (as a sit pad) but typically don't need it. I like UQ better than pads.
    That being said, if your legs started getting chilled, you could put your pack or jacket (clothes) under them to help. That has also worked for me in the winter.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I camped a few nights ago in my DN and found that with my thermarest jammed under my torso My legs were warm enough with just the sleeping bag under me since I sleep in a weird position in my hammock and my legs only really touch at the knees...Indian style? Can you still say that?

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    For me, I only use a pad under my legs because I use a Yeti UQ. But, the logic should be the same using a pad under your torso only. I've recently been trying to figure out at what temp do I need something under my legs. So far, I've been to 40F without anything under my legs. Pretty sure I can get a couple more degrees, but after that I'm going to need something under my legs/feet.

I'm confused..you use the pad and the UQ at the same time?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by domromer View Post
    I'm confused..you use the pad and the UQ at the same time?
    I understand your confusion.

The Yeti is a torso length underquilt; goes to about mid thigh on me. That means that my lower legs and feet do not have any insulation under them. I've been using this style of uq for quite some time now and I'm still learning things along the way. Most recently, that the footbox of my topquilt does a better job of insulating below than I would have thought. However, when it gets cold, it's important to have something under your feet/legs. Generally, I just use my pack these days instead of a pad.

Buuuuuut, when it gets really cold, I have been known to unfold a full length pad in addition to the underquilt. It is a pretty big jump in thermal comfort when you supplement a good underquilt with a pad.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

NeoAir pad fits well

I can confirm that a size large NeoAir (77" x 25") fits quite well in my 1.1 double layer. It tends to "straighten" the hammock curve a bit and doesn't move around when I'm in the hammock.

I have to experiment to find out about comfort ranges for temperatures, but right now it's too warm for any UQ or pad. I'm here in Minnesota, though, so that warm summer weather won't last overly long!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    going to play with my medium NeoAir and a Gossamer Gear evazote this weekend (both at the same time). I anticipate that if I do have joints/limbs rolling off the narrower Neo the 41" pad will keep the random body part warm if not comfortable, if temps are nice enough.

The Neo may be heading back to REI if I can't stand it. The goal is to have something that approaches comfortable for sleeping on the ground if that becomes necessary on the JMT.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast