ENO Doublenest, GT SBP, DIY
    Tarp
    ENO and GT
    Insulation
    ENO Ember/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Atlas, Whoppie

Scoutmaster Question?

I am curious if anyone is out there that attended summer camp this year at Daniel Boone. I know I posted something about going, but after reading some of Derek Hansen posts as a Scout Master and his concerns of Scout Councils banning hangs for improper use, I decided to do a Hammock Hanging class for two different weeks at camp. I had a total of about 70 adults participating. It was a great turnout. I discussed the Leave No Trace component, proper use of tree huggers, safety of hammock hanging (height, and laddering, and proper rope). I also demonstrated various hammocks including a few DIY projects, knots, and types of straps. I talked about tarps, skeeter nets, and even underquilts. We also discussed the proper lie in a hammock to get a good night sleep.

It seemed that everyone that attended enjoyed what was said, had some good questions, and was eager to go home with new ideas and courses of action. I discussed this forum as a great place for help, opinions, and answers (not neccessarily in that order).

I am wondering if any of the people that attended have joined or not. If you were there, please let me know as I am thinking of trying to get it on as a permanent component. As we all know, education is the most important aspect of any edevour. The more we get out there, the better everything is for all. If any of you are also involved in Scouting, please get involved in educating your councils and troops so that stupid mistakes are not made. As we know, BSA is very reactive and will ban something or make it very difficult to do when one person gets hurt for doing something dumb. example: watch Rifle Merit Badge classes now, the scouts do not even load or hold thier rifle, counselors do it all for them. The scout just aims while it rests upon a rack and pulls the trigger.

Hammock
    ENO SN
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    We went to Davy Crocket this year instead and I am sorry I missed your class it would have been informative. I am an ASM with our troop but next in line for Scoutmaster as an FYI.

We tell the guys that they are only allowed to use hammocks to camp after we obtain permission and then we have rules. No hanging over a hard surface like Concrete, No "bunk bedding", Making sure that they are out of the main path and stuff like that.

At CDC this year they had cheap hammocks for $20 that a few first year scouts bought and we had the older scouts help them get them set up and teach the proper use and care of them.

We still have an issue trying to get the guys to use tree huggers when they only have rope to hang from but we are working on that as well.

Hammock
    Currently eno single
    Tarp
    Silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle soon;)
    Images
    I am an ASM and my troop did go to Daniel Boone this year however I wasn't there I am sad I missed that!! My little brother was out there. But her was a JASM.

--John

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by bayview View Post
    I am curious if anyone is out there that attended summer camp this year at Daniel Boone. I know I posted something about going, but after reading some of Derek Hansen posts as a Scout Master and his concerns of Scout Councils banning hangs for improper use, I decided to do a Hammock Hanging class for two different weeks at camp. I had a total of about 70 adults participating. It was a great turnout. I discussed the Leave No Trace component, proper use of tree huggers, safety of hammock hanging (height, and laddering, and proper rope). I also demonstrated various hammocks including a few DIY projects, knots, and types of straps. I talked about tarps, skeeter nets, and even underquilts. We also discussed the proper lie in a hammock to get a good night sleep.
    I'm the SM of our local troop and hammocks have begun to be an issue with us, mainly because I'm a big fan but my primary camping ASM is not, nor is my wife, who happens to be the COR. I've already had to cut two hammocks down because they were incorrectly hung without tree straps and the knots locked up. Some of our boys just ran out to Walmart and strung up the first thing they found. Unfortunately, at the time I really didn't know anything about them, so I was at a loss in how to handle it. Now I know a lot more, but I really wish some of our guys had a chance to see/take your hanging class.

I wanted to hang at summer camp this year, but the camp "discouraged" the use of hammocks (the reasons given were potential tree damage and tripping over lines at night). I was disappointed, but as you say, BSA can be quick to ban something due to one or two bad experiences, so I decided to be a good citizen and stayed ground-bound.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    We went to Davy Crocket this year instead and I am sorry I missed your class it would have been informative. I am an ASM with our troop but next in line for Scoutmaster as an FYI.

We tell the guys that they are only allowed to use hammocks to camp after we obtain permission and then we have rules. No hanging over a hard surface like Concrete, No "bunk bedding", Making sure that they are out of the main path and stuff like that.

At CDC this year they had cheap hammocks for $20 that a few first year scouts bought and we had the older scouts help them get them set up and teach the proper use and care of them.

We still have an issue trying to get the guys to use tree huggers when they only have rope to hang from but we are working on that as well.
    Hey Beetle, would you be willing to share your troop policies on hammocks? I'm trying to put something together for my troop and would love to have something to start with. I've already agreed to buy tree straps for anyone that replaces their ropes since their excuse is "tree straps are too expensive" (seriously -- $5 is too expensive?). But I'd also like to have a complete guide just to get the nay-sayers off my back.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO and GT
    Insulation
    ENO Ember/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Atlas, Whoppie
    Look on Derek Hanson's Ultimate hang up date. He is tying hammock to tree straps using a modified Sheet bend called something like a beetle hitch( might be wrong name) This is basically a Sheet Bend on a bight. Easy release, uses a strap looped through the loop on the hammock. Do not have to buy the expensive straps. Uses knots the kids should already have knowledge of anyway.

Hammock
    ENO SN
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    We are still working on this so if anyone else has good ideas we can incorporate them but here is the list we have so far. NOTE we just started this list 3 months ago.

Hammock camping rules
    1. Before any hammocks are hung we need to check to see if it is allowed by the location.
    2. No hanging hammocks over hard surfaces like concrete/wood deck
    3. No hanging hammocks over water/ravine
    4. Hammocks must be hung out of general walkways
    5. No “Bunk bed” hammocks they must not be hung over each other
    6. If hammock is near walkway/path must put orange tape on guy lines to avoid trip hazards
    7. Only 1 scout in hammock at any time
    8. Tree straps or tree protectors must be used to avoid damage (Leave no trace)
    9. Area around and under hammock must be kept clean and free of trash/clutter
    10. All scouts hammock camping must have a backup plan in case of weather.
    • At summer camp all scouts must be assigned a tent for gear and changing
    • At campouts they can have a backup tent set up or plan on sharing a tent with another scout. Tent is also used to change clothes.
    11. No playing in hammocks IE Swinging your friends/yourself as it damages the trees
    12. Hammocks hung no higher than 4 1/2 feet unloaded (helps prevent falling far)
    13. SPL and Scoutmaster have final say if hammock camping is allowed for any reason.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO and GT
    Insulation
    ENO Ember/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Atlas, Whoppie
    Good stuff on the BSA hammock rules. Bunk bedding can be okay as to share tarps if the highest is no more than the 4 1/2 feet off the ground. Saves money on tarps. I would also specify the actual definition of tree strap with stating that they must be 1" or more.

Sure wish they would actually create the Hammock camping merit badge instead of all this Nerdy stuff they have created in the last year.

Hammock
    ENO SN
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    We don't allow Bunk bedding as it will happen one day where either a strap will break, a scout will fall out of the top hammock, or the guy in the lower one will get stepped on by the one above.

We are just trying to nip problems in the bud

Hammock
    ENO SN
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    We do need to come up with an actual definition of a tree strap for this good thinking

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    This is our troop's second year of working on the (unofficial) Hammock Camping Merit Badge. We slightly modified Miller's list of requirements, did the gear making over Chritsmas (pc= "winter") break, got familiar with the hanging process during the late winter and spring then set up a hammock wheel at camp. It was a total blast for everyone and the camp loved the "camp improvement". This year we had a young ASM weld 2 well casings of about 4" diameter together to make a 10' long post. He then welded 1 foot of chain to the top section at 90 degree intervals, fins on the bottom to prevent rotation (side benefit- it made it look like a rocket) and painted it with troop colors and numerals. That was our center pole this year. If you get a chance at your summer camp to put up a hammock wheel, your troop will love it!
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast