Newby Hammock convert

So, I just hiked a section of the JMT with my daughter. I had a 24oz SMD Trekker tent and she had a HH classic scout zip. I was thoroughly impressed with her hammock. So; I'm looking for a hammock. I'll use it for hiking/hunting and will use it in colder/wet weather (sometimes). I'm 6' 210 lbs. I'm leaning towards 3 different hammocks at this time. The HH Explorer Ultralite Asym Zip w/Hex Rainfly, the Warbonnet Blackbird And the Ridgerunner with either the Cloudburst or Superfly rf. I am leaning towards a underquilt as I will be hunting in October and it do get cold... 10 degs. However, I'm noting the HH has a 4 season Super shelter and the Radiant Bubble. My questions; is the HH set-up going to be warm enough for 20 degs? All 3 hammocks appear to have a different approach to the actual sleeping surface-Asym, classic and bridge-who has sleep on these? Is the double bottom on the WB and the Lynx a good set-up?

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    No experience with the HH or Ridgerunner but I've slept in a Blackbird and a Blackbird XLC. Both were comfortable but the regular Blackbird was just a little bit tight for this 6' guy. Ended up keeping the XLC & sold the regular for that reason plus the option of having a completely removable bug net & top cover with the XLC. More money but worth it IMO. The Superfly is a great tarp and will work well with either the regular or XLC. With regard to the double-layer... unless you plan on using a pad I would recommend just going with a single-layer.

I would also recommend that you take a look at Dream Hammock before making a final decision. And checking out the offerings of some of the other vendors here wouldn't hurt either.

Welcome to the forums!

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I owned a HH Exp UL, it's not even near UL. Stick with the RR if comfort is more important than weight. The HH w/SS can hit the 30* mark pretty easy, I've used one down to 24* with a 15* sleeping bag and a few clothes. From what I've read here you will find the winter hang better with a good underquilt, yes that's more $$. One thing about the RR UQ's have been reported to be easier to fine tune with the straight forward rectangular attachment points. Try to find a group hang if you have time to before you make your purchase.

I've seen a guy use a RR double layer and a layer of packing micro foam wrap for warmer weather. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Migolito View Post
    So, I just hiked a section of the JMT with my daughter. I had a 24oz SMD Trekker tent and she had a HH classic scout zip. I was thoroughly impressed with her hammock. So; I'm looking for a hammock. I'll use it for hiking/hunting and will use it in colder/wet weather (sometimes). I'm 6' 210 lbs. I'm leaning towards 3 different hammocks at this time. The HH Explorer Ultralite Asym Zip w/Hex Rainfly, the Warbonnet Blackbird And the Ridgerunner with either the Cloudburst or Superfly rf. I am leaning towards a underquilt as I will be hunting in October and it do get cold... 10 degs. However, I'm noting the HH has a 4 season Super shelter and the Radiant Bubble. My questions; is the HH set-up going to be warm enough for 20 degs? All 3 hammocks appear to have a different approach to the actual sleeping surface-Asym, classic and bridge-who has sleep on these? Is the double bottom on the WB and the Lynx a good set-up?
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Migolito View Post
    All 3 hammocks appear to have a different approach to the actual sleeping surface-Asym, classic and bridge-who has sleep on these?
    Both the HH and WBBB are asym sleeping surfaces. You are intended to sleep on the diagonal, allowing a flatter lay. Also, welcome aboard!

• + New Posts