Clark N250, ENO dbln & Rei Traveler
    Tarp
    Silnylon & Cubens
    Insulation
    Tyvek underlayer
    Suspension
    treestraps + ridge

Leave No Trace Living

In my travels, as a hammocker, I find it has been easier to execute a LNT philosophy. My latest success story:

With water carriage at a premium, and NOT wanting to rely on baby wipes, I sought a way out of the conundrum.
    As a woman with longer hair, hygiene is doubly important. Are the two needs (LNT/not smelling like a hyena) DOABLE?

Eureka: this morning I successfully accomplished three feats at once. This is how...

1. I placed a tarp on the ground, as well as my laundry bucket, to prevent uninvited dirt or guests.
    2. with a washcloth I wet down my body a section at a time and soaped up with castile soap and a touch of baking soda mixed in 4 oz water
    3. I mixed an appropriately small amount (1 oz) of biodegradable hair CONDITIONER in 6 oz water and gently worked it into my hair, accomplishing a gentle cleanse and conditioning all at once (it has tea tree so also acts as a mild repellant to creepy crawlies) and let it set.
    4. Using my camp towel, I began rinsing my body of the soap and residue from the day's activities. This took about 20 oz of water with several wring-outs...not on tarp as the castile is safe.(30 oz water total used to this point)
    5. The remainder of the water was used to carefully rinse out the conditioner (catching in to my collapsible laundry bucket) and leave my hair amazingly clean and fresh. After squeezing out all I could, I finished by putting certain items into the bucket with a touch of castile...thus cleaning and acting as a fabric softener...to soak. A brief rinsing was all that was required afterward. (I generally soak things I wore one day on the next and dry them in a net bag or on my ridge line).

I used a little more than needed (could have gotten by with 7 cups) but I wanted th extra water for my final step and already had it portioned out.) So, I cleaned all of my womanly body, washed/conditioned my hair, and did the bulk of washing of my basics with ½ gallon of water!

So much for women hogging the bathroom

YES, I could use wet washcloths in a baggie, and I have done so innumerable times, but this just felt right and SOOO good.

The key is NOT using soap on one's hair as it dries it out too much and requires much more to remove. When outdoors, you do not want to further punish your heavenly locks by ignoring them nor by stripping them.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Nice writeup of an elegant process. Thanks for posting it. It might give some folks a better idea. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Clark N250, ENO dbln & Rei Traveler
    Tarp
    Silnylon & Cubens
    Insulation
    Tyvek underlayer
    Suspension
    treestraps + ridge
    I realize it is more of a girl thing, but thanks for checking it out.

I am at my mountaintop retreat in Northern Virginia for another week. Thanks to intermittent (almost daily) thunderstorms I have quite a water cache now, so I do not need to be AS frugal if I wish to be a bit more lavish (without guilt).

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    There's a lot to be said for a refreshing sponge bath after a day on the trail. Unless camped next to a water source, it can be a challenge. My method is somewhat similar.

I buy "No rinse camp soap" from the usual camping stores. I transfer a bit to a 1 ounce squeeze bottle and place that into a quart size zip-lock bag.

In camp, I add 1-2 cups of water and a squirt of soap to the bag. I use my 2' by 3' tyvek mat (from under my hammock) as a floor. I find a secluded spot so I can strip down and wash my entire body with a small MSR microfiber towel. No rinsing, no drying. Change into a clean shirt, underwear & socks.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I've been using Mike's method and highly recommend it but then what bit of hair I have left is slowly thinning so it's not a problem.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LightHiker View Post
    I realize it is more of a girl thing, but thanks for checking it out.
    It's not just a girl thing to us. There are a lot of us men that love to bring our better halves. My wife will like this solution (pun intended). Thanks for posting it.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    It's not just a girl thing to us. There are a lot of us men that love to bring our better halves. My wife will like this solution (pun intended). Thanks for posting it.
    Yep!

Thanks for the write up, LH.

• + New Posts