Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    It seems that what it does is keep the middle of the fabric centered all the way across, which results in a higher tension in middle of the hammock and then as you proceed from the center the fabric get looser. Basically a variable tension system.

Edit: I followed the exact dimensions of the Backpacker. 120" fabric 100" ridge. I sewed tubes at the end of the hammock like HH. I then ran a ridgeline through the tubes. I wasn't confident that the ridgeline would hold just by the whipping and a not at the end, so I decided that a sheet bend was the best option for hanging the hammock.
    Last edited by lvleph; 04-12-2007 at 10:25.

Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    . . .I sewed tubes at the end of the hammock like HH. I then ran a ridgeline through the tubes. I wasn't confident that the ridgeline would hold just by the whipping and a knot at the end, so I decided that a sheet bend was the best option for hanging the hammock.
    Yeah, I'm not convinced about the ridgeline through the tube either. I'm thinking of just putting my ridgeline back on the ring supports.

• Lay the fabric flat
    • Fold the 2 sides into the middle (making each fold about 1" wide)
    • Fold the 2 sides independently just like you would with the standard whipping
    • Fold the 2 sides into 1
    • Pull the edges out a couple inches to take slack out of the sides
    So you don't sew the edges together to make a tube? And consequently you don't fold the fabrics edges to the middle, then start rolling? How do you pull the edges if they are all rolled up?
    Last edited by funbun; 04-12-2007 at 11:00.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    So you don't sew the edges together to make a tube? And consequently you don't fold the fabrics edges to the middle, the start rolling? How do you pull the edges when they are all rolled up?
    Its hard to put into words. But I'll try.

I did not put the ridgeline through the whipping. I wanted the ridgeline further away from my face. I did not sew the ends. I tried that on one, but was not happy with the way the edges where sitting when I finished the whipping.

I layed it out the same way the Headchange talked about. Before I would roll one each side, flip the hammock over and roll again, and repeat this until I got to the center. I think the end result is the same or similar to doing each side all at once. I made each fold only about an inch wide. Before I was trying to do it in 3 or 4 total folds. I also think it was getting a little messed up when I kept flipping the hammock over.

After I was done I folded the 2 together up. Then I was able to reach and pull the edges out about 2". I then hung it from the supports with the normal larkshead knot.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    That seems completely different, but maybe I am not understanding.

Images
    I'll try to get some pics and post them. It may take awhile. I am going to hang it again to double check first. I think it is the love child of the HH and standard folding method.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Quote Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
    These are also useful for temporary/adjustable tieouts:
    http://www.shelter-systems.com/gripclips/index.html
    You can also use the screw cap from a soda bottle in place of these, though having patches of some other material inbetween the cap and your hammock would probably be a good idea. Kind of the way they use a balloon top with the really small grip clips with silnylon and other fine material.

I've also seen someone use a flexible pole, tensioned and bent underneath the hammock as an alternative to tieouts.

Images
    You can still get the clips that were at the end of garter straps in sewing notions departments. They would be perfect for this. Joann Fabrics carries these (4 for $1.85) but links to their site don't work.
    Last edited by Frolicking Dino; 06-04-2007 at 13:23. Reason: fixed link

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    Yeah, I'm not convinced about the ridgeline through the tube either. I'm thinking of just putting my ridgeline back on the ring supports.
    The ridgeline doesn't need to go through the ends of the hammcok. I just did that because of the top covers I made. I wanted the ridge line inside the hammock with me.

I am going to build another hammock like my HH clone only longer. I had been thinking about moving the ridge line back outside the hammock body. If I do that I will sew some mitten hook attachments to the bug netting that I can clip onto the ridge line.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    The ridgeline doesn't need to go through the ends of the hammcok. I just did that because of the top covers I made. I wanted the ridge line inside the hammock with me.

I am going to build another hammock like my HH clone only longer. I had been thinking about moving the ridge line back outside the hammock body. If I do that I will sew some mitten hook attachments to the bug netting that I can clip onto the ridge line.
    How much longer?

From my experience with a 12' HH style, the ridge line ends so high that having the ridge line outside isn't necessary. On my 12' HH style, I can JUST touch the ridge line with my fingertips while prone and that is on my long ridge line. If I use my short ridgeline the sag is so great that I have to really stretch to touch it. I use the long ridge line for my bug netting, simply because it still gives a huge volume inside and to use the short ridge line would require a lot more netting and a seam in the netting. The bug netting works on both, but with the short ridge line, the netting pulls the sides of the hammock too much. I would have to make a netting special for the short ridge line to eliminate that. Will also use the long ridge line for my overcover simply because then the volume trapped inside is much smaller and easier to heat. That is, if I make an overcover - with the Velcro on the hammock edges I may not need one, haven't decided yet.

I did have 3 ridge lines, but finally settled on just 2.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12