Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Idea about side hemming

Hi, newb here. #1 post, but i've been lurking for awhile. I successfully made my first asym speer style hammock today based off of headchange's HH DIY thread (thank you for that BTW). I got a very nice hammock built out of the info out of the thread. My idea or question is that I sewed guy-out straps 42" from the ends. This "fit" me about right anatomically, but I noticed there are parts of the sides that are droopy and not taught. By taught I just want the slack taken out, not tight. With no shoulder sqeeze I figured this would do. I'm a little confused about the "rolling", but I made a "W" with the ends on each side of center and then whipped. I can't say that I know if doing it differently would create more of a pocket, but it was comfortable. So back to the question. While laying in my hammock I wondered if when you hemmed the edges why not throw a cord all around through it and out the ends, then you could attach a non structural ridgeline to the ends and it would keep the slack out of the sides. Kind of like the "loopy thingy" headchange uses on his design. But also you could reverse roll hem it on the outside and leave little 1" slits every few inches so that you have access to the cord and could side tie the guy-outs off of this. This way you could have different places for adjustment. Do you guys follow me so far? Has anybody tried this yet? Based on todays results i'm probably not going to use my tent very often. I fell asleep for 1.5 hours in my hammock today without even recalling trying to fall asleep It was that comfortable. Thanks for the info. I'll be hanging around for awhile, no pun intented. I'll have pics up on my myspace account in the next hour.

www.myspace.com/dougkinney

Doug

Images
    i like the idea of muntliple tie out points ....sometimes the stock locations just done jive with the terrain...

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    Instead of hemming a line in the edge you could use suspender type clips on the guy line ends to attach to the hammock. You would have infinite adjustment that way.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    speaking of clips, ed speer gave me this clip that he bought from wal-mart as an example of a way to attach a spreader bar to the sides of a hammock w/o any sewing modifications.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P4110148.JPG
    it would work for the tie outs that you're talking about too.
    only thing is, i haven't found a smaller version yet. i looked at some others that i found on the screen using google, but they didn't give much description as in size & weight.
    the one ed gave me weighs a whopping 1 oz.
    i don't think the plastic teeth would damage the hemmed edge of the hammock, but surely someone makes a smaller version.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    These are also useful for temporary/adjustable tieouts:
    http://www.shelter-systems.com/gripclips/index.html

I think the grip clips are a great idea. Does anybody have any suggestions on the best way to fold and whip the ends to make the sides more taught?

Doug

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Take a look at Jeff's whipping directions. You just need to pull the corners of the material out past the rest of the whipping a little. That will tighten the edges more in relation to the body.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
    You could do that with a quarter and line.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostcat78 View Post
    I'm a little confused about the "rolling", but I made a "W" with the ends on each side of center and then whipped.
    It is really just folding in from the side towards the center. Make one fold so that the ends meet in the middle, then flip it over. Fold one end in about 2", fold it again and again until it reaches the middle. You should end up folding it about 5 times. Now do the same thing to the other side of the fabric. Pinch in the side, so that it folds like a taco. Whip!
    Last edited by lvleph; 04-12-2007 at 06:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
    You can also use the screw cap from a soda bottle in place of these, though having patches of some other material inbetween the cap and your hammock would probably be a good idea. Kind of the way they use a balloon top with the really small grip clips with silnylon and other fine material.

I've also seen someone use a flexible pole, tensioned and bent underneath the hammock as an alternative to tieouts.

I've noticed that roll whipping is more comfortable than any other hipping I've tried. Why is that?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast