WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Looking for a little advice in choosing between a WBBB and a WB Traveler

While in my mind set (beginner hanging camper/backpacker,) I'm leaning more towards the traveler w/ bug net. I'd like any suggestions to be had, including single/double layer and material weight. I've done quite a bit of reading on the forums here but from the replies I've found, there seems to be an even number of suggestions for one or the other. Hopefully my needs will tip the balance a little in a way that I am not seeing. Some things to consider:
    1. I'm 75" tall and at 225lbs.
    2. The hammock will be used year around.
    3. A pad will used instead of an UQ for the time being.
    4. Bugs are usually not a problem where I camp most of the year, some years being worse than others. (The net would be purchased with the traveler.)
    5. I will be mostly backpacking, though from what I've read the weight difference is almost negligible between the two.
    6. Finally, I am on a bit of a budget, so the $35-$45 saved on the traveler would go towards a decent tarp, therefore I would need some fairly strong reasoning to go with the WBBB.

As a side note, are the whoopies worth paying the extra $10 for from WB?

Thanks for any help provided.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    If backpacking, distance, and pack weight, weighs heavily in you're decision, you'll probably not want to carry equipment you won't need. That leans the choice toward the Traveler, and w/o the net, there is a weight difference between the two.

That being said, if going that way, there are even lighter options out there, that might suit. WB makes some major great kits. The BB and now RR are already legendary. I find both too heavy for my packlist, if I'm thinking of doing multiple days and/or heavy miles.

With all purchases, you have to ask yourself, what will I be doing with it, and how often. The nice thing with the WB products, if they don't suit for some reason, the resale is very strong, with many being snatched up, within minutes of posting, just to avoid shipping lead times.

If you don't splice, 10 dollar Whoopies are a nice price. Most places you'll pay 2.50 to 5 bucks more per set.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I started with the Traveler. Actually my daughter did and I had to try it.
    I then tried a BB at a group hang, then later bought one for myself.
    Well then my wife needed something so we got and XLC and later a RR.

My preference of all these is the XLC. With the traveler, my feet and sleeping bag would flop out of the hammock sometimes. The BB/XLC footbox solves this, as does the knotty mod on other hammocks.

The XLC is longer than the traveler/BB, and it's a bit lighter than the RR for backpacking. With the RR I had problems sleeping in the fetal position on my side.

You are right that you can find fans of all these. So my recomendation is to go to a Group hang if you can and try some out.

As to the whoopies vs webbing, the webbing is pretty simple.

73" and 190 if that helps

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If you can only afford one hammock in the foreseeable future, and you frequently don't need a bug net, go with the Traveler. It is a nice hammock, but like TallPaul, my feet and sleeping bag went over the edge a lot. Since I pretty much always use the bug net - either to keep things out of my hammock, or to keep a bit of warmth in - the Blackbird is my go-to hammock. Ideally, you'd have a Traveler and a Blackbird to use as needed. This would save you most weight, but of course not money

Go for the double layer if you need to use the pad more than just once or twice.

You also might want to ask Brandon if he could make you an 11' Traveler. I hear this is not a problem, and with your size, a bit more length might be nice.

Whoopies/webbing: I started out with the WB cinch buckle suspension (webbing), exchanged it for whoopies, and switched back to webbing for ease of use and greater flexibility (you can hang in very tight spaces). I thought it is worth the slight weight penalty.

Also have a look at the WB tarps. They are very nice, and you get a package discount if you buy a WB hammock and a WB tarp when ordering together. The Edge is a very nice summer / 3-season tarp; the Mamajamba is a superb all-round 4-season tarp. All WB tarps are very lightweight (for sil), robust and don't need seam-sealing of the ridgeline.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    If bug protection is not an issue, it sound like the Traveler might suit you best.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I believe I am going to go with the traveler. Question for anyone that has both, is there a major difference in how they lay and comfort level?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The Traveler and the Blackbird have an identical body (10' x 60") - therefore the lay should be identical. In reality, though, I find the Blackbird more comfy, because I can lie a lot closer to the edge without my feet falling out. I think, my body ends up in a very different place when I lie in the Blackbird than it does in the Traveler. And it feels better - to me. Other people might think differently.

• + New Posts