Need Advice/Brainstorm on Which New Tarp to Buy

Hey there,

I'm an ENO DoubleNest OneLink owner. I chose the ProFly tarp with my bundle. I'm very happy with my rig but I'm looking for a bigger tarp. I do a lot of car camping, some backpack, but am not a gram weenie. I'm looking for a tarp that won't break the bank that can cover a large area and can be multi-use, whether I hang my hammock under it or use it for shelter in another part of camp. I was thinking about the Kelty Noah's 12 after seeing many glowing recommendations on the boards, but I also saw it's available in 16x16. Is that a good choice, or do you think that will be too large for use over my hammock?

Thanks a bunch

Hammock
    ENO SN or Sub7
    Tarp
    Noah's 9, ProFly
    Insulation
    AHE JB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have a Noah's 9 and even it feels big next to my profly. I really like them both actually. I would guess the 12 would do the trick, though I haven't used it. I also noticed that ENO just released a profly xl that is substantially larger but I haven't used one.

I'm sure some others will chime in with some cottage tarp recommendations too. Happy hunting.

I just used a tape measure to get an idea of how big 16 feet is. DANG. That seems like it might be way too big.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    I will be further assessing this weekend, but I just bought what I think is an amazing bargain on Amazon in the $99 13 foot Aqua Quest tarp. Lighter than my Noah 12, very high quality, and tons of tie-outs. Also, smaller pack size than Noah. One significant weakness: no tie outs for the ridgeline. So we added one on each end.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have three tarps, a MacCat for my Hammock, a Noah 12x12, and a CCS 10x14. The favorite so far is the CCS. Expensive, but at 1lb 8oz for 144 sq feet of tarp is a steal even though it is spendy. Remember that the Noah tarps are catenary, so that needs to be taken into account with what you are looking for. You have more configurations for a non catenary tarp for things like car camping ect.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    You'll get a lot of Warbonnet Superfly recommendation. I use mine all year long. Having doors on a tarp are a definitely plus.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Look at anybody's 10x 12 or 12x12 PU coated polyester tarp. It will be heavier than sil, cheaper than sil. and more rugged than sil. For car camping it's hard to do better.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone straight to the Warbonnet Superfly. It would be the only tarp you would ever need. Go for it! You will not regret it. I have the Kelty 12, 2 -DIY ( which I am actully very happy with as both have doors), Eno Profly, Eno Fastfly, and a Hennessey Hex. These have all left me wanting more..... the Superfly. I personally think that the 16 Kelty would be way too big as even the 12 can seem like it sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I love my Kelty 12 and use it often, but I would think it has a greater risk of failing in time over the Superfly or propably any tarps from our cottage vendors (and I would never take it backpacking). There are some really nice tarps out there for under $100.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

$80-130 tarp ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Sonata#13 View Post
    Hey there,

I'm an ENO DoubleNest OneLink owner. I chose the ProFly tarp with my bundle. I'm very happy with my rig but I'm looking for a bigger tarp. I do a lot of car camping, some backpack, but am not a gram weenie. I'm looking for a tarp that won't break the bank that can cover a large area and can be multi-use, whether I hang my hammock under it or use it for shelter in another part of camp. I was thinking about the Kelty Noah's 12 after seeing many glowing recommendations on the boards, but I also saw it's available in 16x16. Is that a good choice, or do you think that will be too large for use over my hammock?

Thanks a bunch
    Compared to the ENO ProFly the WB Superfly (various models) will be lighter and pack up smaller but provide more rain coverage but cost more. However, gear that you don't like and don't use is probably the most expensive gear you can buy regardless of how good of deal it appears to be on paper, just my personal experience. There are also some tarps that look fairly good from Hennessy Hammock, the polyester versions are cheaper than Silnylon but heavier if that is not an issue for you.

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/rainflys/

I don't own any Hennessy hammock gear, but this is a good company that has been a pioneer in modern hammock camping, with many satisfied customers. I would strongly recommend their tarps over http://www.mosquitohammock.com

I have a 16 foot Kelty Noah's tarp that I occasionally use over my hammock, but mostly for other shelter. The spacing between the trees must be wider and thus the angle of your suspension may not be ideal unless you are good at climbing trees and have a lot of rope. I.e. I would NOT recommend one of these 16' tarps for your hammock's tarp. Shade shelter for cooking and for a group to dine under during a rainstorm perhaps. Kelty and others make tri and quad shelters with poles that are free standing that work well for dinning and cooking, except most people like me throw out the fiberglass poles and replace with aluminum.

Since you are trying not to spend a lot of money and not a gram weenie best not to even consider Cuben Fiber.

Edit: a diamond tarp or a larger one with cat-cut edges and proper hammock friendly ridge line grosgrain and tie outs will work much better than other general purpose tarps. Take it from folks who have weathered storms with high winds. Listening to flapping all night long is not fun.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 07-17-2014 at 17:46.

• + New Posts