Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Question Sewn End Channel Question.

Hello all. I am about to dive into making my own hammocks using a tableclothsfactory.com 60" x 126" tablecloth & a 90" x 132" tablecloth (experimenting with length). In order to preserve as much length as possible I want to sew weight-bearing end channels on them but I'm uncertain what thread I should use and how many rows of stitching I will need to use or even if this method preserves more length than the Knotty/Warbonnet end-gathering method. Any info or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Sewing in an end channel will use more fabric then simply running a cord through the existing hem to gather the end as done in the "Knotty/Warbonnet end-gathering method"

Generally you fold the end over twice making a wide rolled hem and use three rows of stitching for an end channel. Any good quality 100% polyester thread will work. I prefer a slightly stronger thread like Gutermann Mara 70.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    The Warbonnet end uses the least fabric. I prefer that style anyway because it's easier to remove your suspension if you need to.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth
    Suspension
    Amsteel loops
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Runner View Post
    Hello all. I am about to dive into making my own hammocks using a tableclothsfactory.com 60" x 126" tablecloth & a 90" x 132" tablecloth (experimenting with length). In order to preserve as much length as possible I want to sew weight-bearing end channels on them but I'm uncertain what thread I should use and how many rows of stitching I will need to use or even if this method preserves more length than the Knotty/Warbonnet end-gathering method. Any info or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Are you wanting to run your suspension thru the end channel? or just the gather? I've just made 2 using the same sizes you have listed, and the hem is about 1/4". I was able to run a double mason line thru it (using a plastic sewing needle). Works & looks better that some of the other gathering methods.

But, I really don't like the extra material on the 90" wide (x 132"). I'm new at this, but can not tell/feel a difference in the 126" vs. 132", as far as a length factor.

Good Luck, and let us know how it goes...... Grizhicks

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I sew a 1.5" channel with three rows of stitching. I stay away from whipping/gathering because the channels provide a more consistent end result.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I sew three lines and I like to use Gutermanns Mara thread. Here is a picture of a hammock being sewn last year.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    If you really want a weight bearing channel end to preserve the length, then you want a triple stitch (works best for most people).

Here's the trick. DO NOT gather the end with your cord/strap and cinch tight. Instead use a 2 foot loop. You can also use a mini spreader bar with it. This will allow the fabric to be spread wider apart at the suspension, instead of tight, giving the feel of a longer hammock.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop nylon
    Tarp
    DIY sil argon
    Insulation
    DIY syn UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I've used 3 lines with regular polyester thread, been good for 3 years now, no signs of wear.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    You could also minimize the folded fabric by sewing a 6" wide piece of some other strong fabric (e. g. 1.9 ripstop or 2.N supplex) onto the end to make it two layers, and then fold that down 2". I agree with 3 seams for the fold. You should have a seam near the edge of the patched on piece to strengthen the hammock bed. This could be the seam that holds the two pieces together before you fold and sew the channel.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for all the info folks. My tablecloths came today but I pulled a stupid on the amsteel I ordered from Dutch. I had a set of Whoopie Hooks sent to PapaSmurf a couple weeks ago and when I placed my amsteel order I neglected to change my shipping address back to my home address. So I'll be waiting on the amsteel until next week about this time. In the mean time however, I'm going to try the Warbonnet method on the 126" and sewing end channels on the 132". I am going to trim the width on the 132" down to 70" as well. If that still seems too wide I can always make it slimmer.

One question though... tableclothsfactory.com says to hand wash these things... Is that what you folks do or is it okay to wash in a front-load washer?

Thanks
    Last edited by Trail Runner; 07-16-2014 at 13:40.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast