Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewt24 View Post
    Walmart has a backpacking tarp that it 5x7 but if you sew them together you will double the size.
    By sewing the long edges together you would get a tarp that is 10'x7' (nominal) if you hung that such the 10' dimension is your tarp ridge line length then you would get decent coverage for moderate rain. However if you are going to go the DIY route, then just pick up a 12'x10' poly tarp from a hardware store/Walmart, cut off the grommets, do a rolled hem along the perimeter and add tie outs. You could even make it a hex tarp if you were inclined. Or you could find some inexpensive 1.1 ripstop nylon and do the DIY silnylon treatment. Lots of options.

I got the impression from the OP that they were looking to purchase an inexpensive tarp.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Straps
    Images
    When I started out, I used an 8x10 camo poly tarp from Harbor Freight and it works great. It may be heavy to some, but it really isn't that bad. It is bulky though.

I then repurposed a 4-man tent footprint (about $25) and it worked pretty darn good. It kept me bone dry during the worst downpour I ever hiked in. Weight and bulk were not an issue whatsoever. Some may say it is still to heavy, but I don't use tarps made of super expensive space age fabrics either.

Now I'm using a Hennessey Hex I purchased here for about $45. It's heavier and bulkier than the tent footprint, but it is much larger and a little easier to pitch. Plus it has awesome coverage.

My advice is start small and find what is best for your needs and your wallet.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

DIY idea and some $50 ideas that may cost more if they fail on you.

My strongest recommendation is a DIY Tarp with tips from Fronkey but there are some others about $50 + shipping a little above your range, personally I think they may be a waste of your money however, and not be a good long term solution, but have worked OK for some people. I have used a Kelty tarp in very strong wind but it does rip at the tie outs after a while, so not very cost effective either.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...a-Hammock-Tarp

Expedition Rainfly 70D Polyester
    http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/rainflys/

DIAMOND RAIN FLY (3x4m.) May need to add more silicon spray or soak in bath of silicon and mineral spirits after a year or 2, or re-seal seams with Silnet and brush. other brands OK as well.
    http://www.mosquitohammock.com

Generally you get what you pay for, if you have skills and time you can get exactly what you want by making it yourself.
    http://diygearsupply.com/diy-guides/tarps/
    http://ripstopbytheroll.com

Edit: You might want to make a tarp out of Tyvek with a similar design as Fronkey's or the patterns on diygearsupply. This would not require a sewing machine (Thread injector). Tyvek can generally be purchased at your local hardware supply store (Home Depot etc). and tape, Tyvek or duct/gorilla tape or even super glue or flexible fabric glue and other epoxy works fairly well instead of sewn seams. Some good HF article on Tyvek just search for them if you are interested. Also Tyvek is sold in small quantities from online camping suppliers. A silnylon tarp will generally last longer and is more compact but Tyvek is easier to make and probably cheaper, a good first DIY project.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 07-14-2014 at 18:34. Reason: Edit: No sew Tyvek tarp.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Your tarp is one place I don't recommend going cheap on. If you get wet then all is misery. I kinda lucked out in buying two Grand Trunk Funky Forest tarps for $25 a piece - never seen such a deal since. The Guide Gear tarps are an absolute joke (plenty disagree with me but I think they're all fair weather campers).

If I was gonna go cheap the absolute minimum I'd go is the Hennessy Hex - plenty of coverage for a reasonable price.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    diy hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY sil-argon
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    I have used my guide gear tarp in downpours with no issues. Just lucky my joke of a tarp kept me dry I guess.
    +1 on the chinook tarp. That was my original tarp and is now my winter tarp.

While fair weather camping is certainly my preference, one can't always count on a forecast and predict the weather.
    If you have a certain budget you want to get the best you can in your price range.
    The important thing is to get out in the piney woods with an acceptable level of comfort and safety.
    I'd quote a certain book, but that is not allowed.

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/TYVEK-ground...item2c74f3af47
    9 foot wide tyvek sold by the foot. 1.6oz per yard. Comes with pull outs. A 9x9 tarp would run you about $20.

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCherokee View Post
    I have used my guide gear tarp in downpours with no issues. Just lucky my joke of a tarp kept me dry I guess.
    +1 on the chinook tarp. That was my original tarp and is now my winter tarp.

Which size Chinook is that?
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    diy hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY sil-argon
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    I think it is the 9.5x12...
    It's close to those dimensions. My wife added some Velcro on the door ends so I can really seal them up now.
    I'd quote a certain book, but that is not allowed.

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Thanks! Been debating whether I'd get enough coverage with a Chinook 12'x9.5'. Apparently just enough.

Looking for a bqckpacking tarp for all four seasons, blowing rain and other worst case scenarios, hopefully under $100. Chinooks are well under, look both durable and configurable. Just thread inject tie outs where the grommets are, rig some lines and good to go.
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    I'd say keep using the blue tarp and save your pennies.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast