Hammock
    DIY Nuttin Special
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

First post and a question re Whoopie dimensions

Hey y'all, been lurking here a while, gleaning all that I can from the collective knowledge of this resource. I've been camping all my life (although not nearly as often as many of y'all) and fishing all my life as well (as often as I can). Having just moved back to my home state of Georgia, I'm hoping to combine these two activities some.

I started my foray into the hammock world with the Hennesy Expedition, bottom entry, and in like it. There be gnats and skeeters down here - lots of them - and the bottom closure works well. I liked that it was an all in one system, and it seems well made. It has it's drawbacks, though, so I've gotten some ripstop (green, my favorite color) and some bright orange poly thread (I like subtlety), and I'm gonna try me hand at making my own.

Of all the suspension systems I've seen here, the tree hugger/toggle/whoopie sling appeals to me most. I've got the Amsteel ordered, and making them won't be a problem. I've made terminal loops for fly lines for years with braided leader butt using the exact same Chinese finger trap method, so I'm comfortable with that process. My question has to do with the lengths of the various parts of the whoopie. Oh, I should tell you that I intend to make two sets, one for my DIY and the other to replace the effective but heavy and cumbersome stock Hennesy rigging. I like consistency.

Am I right that the overall length is around 6', the closed loop about an inch or two, the fixed bury about 10", and the adjustable end bury around 12-14"? How about the length between the fixed loop and the adjustable? How long is that, and is that measured from the fixed loop itself to where the tag end exits on the adjustable loop or from the end if the fixed bury to the tag exit? (Does that question make sense?)

I believe that on the Hennesy slings, that portion needs to be longer to allow for whipping the end through and around the ends if the hammock. So how long should the non-adjustable section of that set be?

And lastly, how many of you have a bead in the adjustable loop to keep it from closing? Necessary or just personal preference? Same for a locked brummel on the fixed eye?

Okay, those are my questions for now. Don't worry - I'm sure to have more.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Putting a bead in the adjustable loop is a personal preference but I would use one if I were you. Check out these videos by TheBrewGuy for step-by-step instructions.

He's using dynaglide for his whoopie sling but the process is the same for amsteel. I included the continuous loop video because he goes over the amount of lost length the bury causes.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is a really good tutorial on making whoopies. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ing-Suspension
    I try to be careful with my whoopies but the bead is a good idea.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Terminate the stock Hennessy lines in either rappel rings or a bowline knot just past the hood. You will ultimately be happier with that than messing around under the hood. If you go the bowline route the weight difference will only be a few grams. Leave a tail for a water break. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by PadreGA View Post
    ,,,Am I right that the overall length is around 6', the closed loop about an inch or two, the fixed bury about 10", and the adjustable end bury around 12-14"? How about the length between the fixed loop and the adjustable? How long is that, and is that measured from the fixed loop itself to where the tag end exits on the adjustable loop or from the end if the fixed bury to the tag exit? (Does that question make sense?)

I believe that on the Hennesy slings, that portion needs to be longer to allow for whipping the end through and around the ends if the hammock. So how long should the non-adjustable section of that set be?

And lastly, how many of you have a bead in the adjustable loop to keep it from closing? Necessary or just personal preference? Same for a locked brummel on the fixed eye?
    http://www.samsonrope.com/Documents/...UG2012_WEB.pdf

A fid is 21 x the rope diameter.

The fixed eye bury should be about 5" long for 7/64" amsteel. Use the locked brummel. It's fast, easy and fool proof. The space between the fixed and adjustable buries can be whatever you want. Usually only and inch or two and longer for a Hennessy with the one or two hole attachment method (hopefully someone will tell us how long).

Place something in the adjustable loop or sooner or later you will step on the tag end and pull the loop into the bury. Many use beads which can break. I prefer to bury a ~2" piece of amsteel in the adjustable loop next to the constrictor like this...https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...418#post443418

• + New Posts