Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images

Palmetto State Hangers Swamp Butt Hang

First and foremost, let me start this post off with a HUGE thank you to everybody (paying member or otherwise) who's made Palmetto State Hangers what it is today. Without you (yes, you in particular) this experiment wouldn't have been the monumental success it's been in its first year.

Swamp Butt is the Palmetto State Hangers final Event of the year - the last one before the clock resets with our kicking off of the annual camping season with Fall Sprawl at Santee State Park. This year (and hopefully for many years going forward) we were allowed to camp in the youth-only primitive area of Dreher Island State Park in Newberry, SC. Primitive site 5 is surrounded on three sides by Lake Murray and enjoys what seems to be a largely steady breeze coming across the peninsula that keeps temperatures better than tolerable...even comfortable. The site was big enough that literally everybody who wanted it got lakefront property and nobody had to be on top of anybody else to get it.

I got there Friday morning to find that several members had already arrived and picked out their spots. Mine was on the windward side of the area, catching a good bit of the breeze that swept across the site and kept me comfortable all night. The weekend was a blur of plenty of new faces, fun times and GREAT food (thanks to HotLips and Kingsford for cooking). Cards Against Humanity proved to everybody just exactly how depraved some of us (including a 15 year old Boy Scout) can actually be in the face of winning. There was swimming (floating) in the lake, canoe and kayak paddles, lots of BS talked around the fire (and everywhere else), and general fellowship - the heart of what makes Palmetto State Hangers such an amazing organization. I was sorry to see the trip end, but barring an interim hang sometime in August we'll see all of y'all at Fall Sprawl (which is shaping up to be the ABSOLUTE best one yet).

Official business for those members who weren't there and don't check Facebook regularly:

-Nobody was nominated to hold office, therefore REV is still the President, I'm still the Vice-President, and Junebugdawn is still the Treasurer. Thanks for your votes of confidence and we're proud to serve you for another year.

-Hot Lips and Kingsford were awarded a year of membership each for their outstanding service and example of good membership at this hang. We look forward to seeing them with us next year.
    (Note: This will be a thing going forward. We'll award one person/family/camping unit a year's worth of membership each year for being an outstanding member)

-If you paid your dues this year, we've rounded out the year. Membership dues are coming up in September at Fall Sprawl, so don't forget if you'd intended to re-up with us.

That's all, folks! Thanks again for coming (if you were in attendance), thanks for your membership (if you're a member), and we'll see you in September!
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    dangerbird
    Tarp
    Hennesey Hex
    Insulation
    t&bquilts-kangaroo
    Suspension
    straps

Any other news from Swamp Butt?

Just wondering if other news may follow?
    Author of 4 books of SC ghostlore under Tally Johnson- available on amazon- buy 'em all and I will sign them at a hang! I do ghost stories too! PM or Facebook me for rates outside Carolinas!

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I just want to say it was an awesome hang. The breeze all weekend made what I thought would be a very hot hang, a very nice hang. Great folks to hang with, absolutely wonderful food thanks to Hot Lips and Kingsford, the lake felt wonderful, and I made some new friends. I look forward to the Fall Sprawl.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Netty/ Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    gnome dome/mctarp
    Insulation
    Incubator/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    It was a great hang folks. Loved the site,the shade and the breeze. The site has a lot of waterfront and it was huge. No mosquito's, didn't see any wildlife, and had a chorus of crickets and frogs every night. I really hope we do this at this site next year.
    I want to add that the PSH are a wonderful group of people to hang with. I got to see folks I know, and meet new folks. Everyone was helpful (thanks to all who helped unload, do dishes, and cook). Elizabeth even made me coffee, and I'd just met her. It was a wonderful weekend. The icing on the whole thing was the special surprise the PSH gave Kingsford and I in honoring us with a free years membership. So we are happy to be PSH members for a whole nother year. Hope to see you all at future hangs.
    If you don't like my cooking there's always MRE's.***Hotlips

Hammock
    Netty/ Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    gnome dome/mctarp
    Insulation
    Incubator/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    If you don't like my cooking there's always MRE's.***Hotlips

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    Sounds like a great time down there. See you all at the Fall Brawl.
    Straight out of Clayton.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my (_*_) lighter.

• + New Posts