DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Overnighter in Sisters, Oregon

After visiting family friend's birthday bash out in Prineville, the GF and I decided to do a quick overnight in Sisters, in Deschutes National Forest right off hwy 20/126... since it was getting late, and I apparently had forgotten her hammock....we set up a ground sleep system with the extra blankets I brought, and the USGI Bivy bag I scored a while back, and I asked her which she wanted to use, she replied the ground system with the bivy bag... we watched the Super Moon rise, and enjoyed a night without fear of rain, no tarp shelter, but I made a privacy booth thing for toilet duties. It was also a good test of the Open Cell foam pad system, with the ends cinched and snug, it sealed a pocket of air in the middle. At first I experienced a slight cold butt from the colder air, then after around 30 or so minutes, decided to stick my hand in the area, it was warmer than the outside temps, so that told me that the fabric kept the heat in, and later on I didn't experience any more cold butt syndrome...this is with a wind chill of 10 mph prevailing and nighttime lows of 61 degrees at 3am..... from a high of 97 degrees that day.

Base Camp the morning after; that green thing is my old double layer camo/green reversible poncho I made a long time ago....due to the moon being SO bright the previous night, I simply threw it over and pulled it over my head to block the ambient light out.

The next day, I decided to do a hike around the area; not much to see, but.... beautiful country nonetheless!

The GF woke up feeling sick, probably due to accidentally ingesting bugspray.... so we decided to break camp and head back to home.

I have to say though; the open cell foam pad thing exceeded my expectations and kept me warm after a fashion. No doubt it would've been warmer had we set it up much earlier to take advantage of high temps....

Hammock
    DIY Sinister Ariel Black
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Integrated Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Spyder
    Looks familiar. Heading out for a 4 night pack around the 3 Sisters on Wednesday with my BB. Can't wait!

• + New Posts