Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nitize figure 9

Hammock
    Hennessy Epd deluxe
    Tarp
    Equinox 10 x 12

Nitize figure 9

I have been using a pair of the heavy duty nitize figure 9s for my suspension on my grand trunk and using 550 cord from the tree to the hammock end. Even doubled over the 550 cord has far to much stretch so to get the right height I hang it at eye level almost tight and after the sag I am right @ 1.5 ft of the ground with a pretty flat lay. I know the weight limit on the figure 9 is only 150 and @ a little over 300 myself that pushing my luck. But they work and work well as long as things are locked in place I haven't had a single issue. They are super quick to hang and take down and very easy to adjust. I plan on adding them to my HH that should arrive this week and will report soon. Thoughts or comments folks I will try and take pics asap. Thanks.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Unless you're on a super tight budget (i.e. flat broke) I'd swap out the 550 and the 9s for something more appropriate for the task at hand. It seems like you are pushing your luck with the 9s, and the only consolation is they may not drop you far because of how poorly paracord keeps you up. There are many other sturdier things out there which provide quick connect/disconnect.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    In case you are not aware, at a typical 30° hang angle you are placing 300 lbs on each figure 9...not 1/2 that of 150 lbs....so yes, you are pushing your luck. Flatter than 30° and the forces go up quickly.

Hammock
    DIY hammy
    Tarp
    prezidential suite
    Insulation
    diy underquilt
    Suspension
    straps n buckles
    7/64 Amsteel from west marine. Splice it up.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Figure 9s and paracord are a good example of a faith-based suspension, because using them is more a prayer you won't fall rather than looking at it from a science, math, safety or best practice perspective. Most hammock hangers look for a 5-1 or 10-1 safety ratio (breaking strength of the rope/strap to weight). For example, I weigh 160, I use Amsteel 7/64" so I have roughly a 10-1 ratio (though the splices derate the rope up to 20%).

The Figure 9s have a 150 lb. breaking strength so that's a negative safety ratio. Check out the hammock hang calculator to see some of the forces applied.

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 07-15-2014 at 13:04.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Hennessy Epd deluxe
    Tarp
    Equinox 10 x 12
    Flat broke was correct when I first but this system together. I spend 2 to 3 nights a week in it because of being aways from home for work. I know that I was pushing my luck I wanted to report that even though not the smartest of ideas that it has worked pretty well for me so far I probably have 50 nights maybe more in the setup in all weather conditions too and not a single issue. Not saying it's the right thing to do.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    I'm glad you haven't taken a fall, and that the 9s weight rating seems comfortably conservative. That said, just because they haven't dumped you yet doesn't mean they won't in the future. $10-$12 would take the prayer out of the equation.

Hammock
    Hennessy Epd deluxe
    Tarp
    Equinox 10 x 12
    Yeah I plan on getting some am steel here soon and trying my hand at making whoopies for my old setup as its getting handed down to my wife.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Number one suggestion: get to 50 posts, and hit up the PIF section.. whoopies are pretty common in there, with decender rings and carabiners popping up every now and again too.

When I first started hanging 9 years ago.. I used figure 9's with my Hennessy.. I weighed 160lbs.. my third or forth night hanging, I snapped one of the 9's and hit the deck hard. I can't say if I was in the 30° area or not.

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 40
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The Figure 9s have a 150 lb. breaking strength so that's a negative safety ratio.
    I know what you mean, but it's actually impossible to get a negative safety ratio. The critical point is when it's smaller than 1 and at 1/2 that's definitely the case.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast