Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing Machines

Sewing Machines

Since there have been a posts in other threads about sewing machines, I figure why not start a thread on sewing machines to help new people decide what would be best for them?

I think the perfect sewing machine for homemade gear makers would be one with:

• a straight stitch
    • a zigzag stitch
    • a walking foot
    • reverse obviously
    • perhaps 2 needle capacity

But also one that could handle slippery lightweight fabrics as well as thick Packcloth perhaps lightweight Cordura.

I would love to have an industrial machine. But many industrial machines only do one stitch. Therefore in factory setting you have a different machine for every stitch. I think homemade gear makers need something halfway between an indistrial machine and a home sewing machine. We don't need 83 billion stitches that come on many home machines, but we do need more than one stitch per machine as with industrials.

Here is my Necchi Hot Rod. I like it a lot. I really need a walking foot, but I'm not sure I can find one to fit my machine considering I have a high shank.

Also, I've had good luck with FireFly Ridge Sewing Products. He has good service and will build you good a machine for a good price.

Images
    Good idea for a thread. Nice machine. I got mine from a sewing machine repair place. I tend to think the older ones are better than the newer ones for our needs. They have more metal parts and not the plastic parts of newer ones.

I agree with what you are saying on the machine. Really no need for all the complex stitches. I don't think multi-needle stitching will be that useful for most people. The needles tend to cost more too. I think that unless you are doing a lot of production, the time saving for 2 needle sewing will not be worth the trouble.

Also on walking feet. I am able to sit to the side of my machine and hold the material on each side of the machine. Doing this I am able to control the material going in and out of the machine. I'm sure a walker foot would do a better job, but this works for me.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I'm curious about the walking foot myself. I haven't had issues with the "problem" that the walking foot seems to address, so I wonder if others have experienced a real advantage with it? I could see it being a little quicker for somethings maybe, but how much?
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    The Walking Foot is ideal for quilting and sewing silky fabrics like ripstop, polyester weaves and silnylon. It is also good for napped fabrics such as fleece. This foot has a set of teeth that work together with the sewing machine feed teeth to grip the fabric during the stitch formation to virtually eliminate fabric shifting. It will also provide pucker-free seams when working on large projects that require long seams – like hammocks and tarps.

Images
    I get by without a walking foot, but if it works like they say it works I would love to have one.

My Machine
    Too bad it was not on that kind of sale when I bought it. This machine is great. I love it! Would recommend it to anyone.

EDIT: It says threads never jam or tangle. I did have it jam once, and so did my wife. But that is after a year of using it quite a bit. I think the jam was something I must have done that was stupid.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    I get by without a walking foot, but if it works like they say it works I would love to have one.

My Machine
    Too bad it was not on that kind of sale when I bought it. This machine is great. I love it! Would recommend it to anyone.

EDIT: It says threads never jam or tangle. I did have it jam once, and so did my wife. But that is after a year of using it quite a bit. I think the jam was something I must have done that was stupid.
    Cool machine.

I thought Husqvarna made lawn equipment?
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Cool machine.

I thought Husqvarna made lawn equipment?
    And chainsaws.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Another nice feature would one that uses a full spool for the bobbin rather than having to load the very small bobbin. Though I have not seen or used one.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    Another nice feature would one that uses a full spool for the bobbin rather than having to load the very small bobbin. Though I have not seen or used one.
    That would be nice. I never understood why bobbins were so small.

Images
    You can get a table to fit a sewing machine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast