Hammock
    MIYANC CUSTOM
    Tarp
    YUKON DIAMOND
    Insulation
    SWEET BABY LOVIN
    Suspension
    MIYANC DIY CUSTOM

Who makes DIY Hammocks to sell or has suggestion?

Hi everyone, great site here!

I have read, and then read some more, then read some more...My eyes are starting to bleed.

Anyway, i am yet another noob looking for a low cost set up to try hanging. We have a 7 day trip to the BWCA in August (mid) and the boys are tenting it and the dads are going to, if we find them, sleep in hammocks.

Our budget doesnt leave much room for a high end hammock and we are having trouble finding the right one for our need, in our price range. I am 100% OPEN TO A DIY that someone makes for us (as long as its going to hold up and work), or if someone has a lead on a deal or workable hammock online/in-store.

I am 6'4" and 220lbs (40 yrs old)

Other dad is 5' 11" and 255lbs (he looks exactly like a cannon ball, if the cannon ball was 5'11" and fat) (if it helps with finding the hammock, he also smells VERY bad, is a bit slow, drools alot and is my best friend....)

MUST have bug net. (partly because it is the BWCA in August, but mostly because of the aformentioned smell...it attracts bugs..)

And the hard part... We have no more than $60 EACH for a hammock..or we will deal with the weight of an extra tent and mattresses. (we both have back issues and usually bring air mattresses in to the BWCA, which sucks to haul around)

Besides the $60 budget, we also dont want to spend too much money to find out either/neither of us like it or our backs wont work with it.

We can use a cheap rain tarp so we dont have to have that included in the $60. I would be open to making my own, as we dig that sort of project, but having never hung before i think it is best to first use 1 made by someone that knows what they are doing or by a store that thinks they do. We will start the DIY build after the addiction has really set in.

What do you guys/gals think? Can this be done or am I taking a long walk off a short plank on this one?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    $13 - Tablecloth hammock - http://theultimatehang.com/2013/10/m...ock-3-minutes/

$22 - Cinch buckle complete suspension (with Amsteel loops and 15 feet of webbing) - http://dutchwaregear.com/cinch-buckl...uspension.html

$23 - Fronkey Bugnet - (7 yards of no seeum netting from here - http://diygearsupply.com/product/noseeum-netting/)

If you want to get fancy with the bugnetting you can add Omni tape on one side for a few extra bucks -

Last edited by Tendertoe; 07-16-2014 at 09:14.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Don't forget you will need a tarp of some sort to shelter you from the elements (rain, wind, sun, etc). I take it you will already have a sleeping pad and sleeping bag since you are prepared to take a tent if need be.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    MIYANC CUSTOM
    Tarp
    YUKON DIAMOND
    Insulation
    SWEET BABY LOVIN
    Suspension
    MIYANC DIY CUSTOM
    Yes, we have many tarps, Warm/cool Sleeping bags, pads, rope, ties, stakes, etc... We just need the hammocks and bug net for the hammocks.

Would REALLY like to stay away from making our own the first time... We are miles from anyone else in the wilderness for 7 nights, i dont want to find out the hard way that i meade a mistake when i DIY'ed my only place to sleep.

I appreciate the replies...hopefully someone has some more pointers.

Hammock
    GT Double
    Tarp
    DIY Painters 4mil
    Suspension
    Straps Whoopie MSH
    Here's some links to some inexpensive rain tarp ideas. I'm making one now with better tape - but my initial testing using what I had on hand (for zero investment cost) was pretty good. I hang in it last weekend during a VERY HARD downpour for an hour and no problems. That's what made me decide to make a better one that is low cost and easily replaced when it does wear/give out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqaS...st=WL&index=10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2tZ...ndex=2&list=WL

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    After re-reading this I didn't realize you're looking for someone else to make you something not for you to DIY it for yourself.

If you don't get any volunteers to DIY for you, BIAS sells a version of the Fronkey style bugnet for $65 called the Buginator but that's already over your budget just for the net.

If you can make a cup of coffee, you can make a hammock out of a tablecloth using Derek Hansen's video from the link above. That'll at least get you a serviceable hammock for $13 plus $22 for the suspension.

That'll put you at $100 for a hammock you make with suspension and a bugnet purchased from a manufacturer.

Hammock
    MIYANC CUSTOM
    Tarp
    YUKON DIAMOND
    Insulation
    SWEET BABY LOVIN
    Suspension
    MIYANC DIY CUSTOM
    Loving the input. Thank you everyone.

I recieved a message from a HF'er that has said he can do the bugnet/hammock for a good price. he has 1,400 posts and has been here for 2+ years..so im guessing he is worth the try.

He asked about 1.1, 1.7, 1.9, DL, Sl, etc... I told him our sizes here and basically said he has 100% freedom of design to make what he thinks would be best for the 2 of us. Im guessing dl simply meant double...which we would want...and the 1.1 to 1.9 is simply stronger, but heavier...which weight is not a real concern as we dont backpack...we canoe trip.

I'll be sure to post pictures on what we end up with and how they work.

Thank you for the advice and links.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    In your price range I think your only choices are a Yukon Outfitter's Hammock or a Byer Moskito Hammock. You can usually pick a Byer at REI or EMS for $35-40. The Yukon used to be on sale for $30 but they seem to be going for $60 now on EBay.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Go with double layer hammocks if you are going to use pads for your under insulation. The pad goes between the layers to keep it in place.

Also set up at home before your trip to make sure things work for you.

Hammock
    MIYANC CUSTOM
    Tarp
    YUKON DIAMOND
    Insulation
    SWEET BABY LOVIN
    Suspension
    MIYANC DIY CUSTOM
    sounds good. i'm sure the guy building them will see these comments and take them into advisement. I like the double layer idea, but i need to keep it in our price range of $60 each. We will be using pads.

You guys use the regular foam pads that people use for tent camping, correct? the appox. 2-3 foot wide roll up type?

I really apprieciate all the quick replies. Im sure you guys get a ton of posts like this one.

BTW, I came over from BWCA. com this site is well spoken of over there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast