Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdk View Post
    I was just poking a bit fun at him. Sorry I didn't inlude a smiley. EDIT: actually, I did! He is (as you already know) a nice guy.

The woot hammocks are fine and work well, but do have their drawbacks. The netted ones are great for kids and you really can't beat the price when you consider the material and labor cost. I have also been experimenting with my own diy hammocks to see what I do and don't like. HYOH
    Jdk you shouldnt worry. I didnt take anything from it. No worries here. Still not sure if we are going to do the uwharrie hang this november. Maybe I will post a poll and see what kind of interest we get. Its not that I wont enjoy it, I was hoping to go on a different trip. We shall see.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    I think you just gave me a reason to be there. Do they also do haunted night tours?
    Sure do!
    http://www.mrps.org/ghost-hunts

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Got the dutch stuff and made a video. Looks like I may be making my first youtube video. I started working on the organizers, bags and did some tapering using some stuff I already had. Before I got to chopping up the dutch goodies I figured I would begin the video.

Just a diy lesson... measure once, then twice and then again before cutting. Or better yet focus on what you are doing even if its only starting with scraps. I somehow made the same mistake twice and then decided to write it up. Well I made a sketch with the measurements and then went to cutting... and still made a mistake. Nothing catastrophic and it was with my own scraps. Which is I guess the way you are suppose to make your mistakes. I also learned why people have those fabric matts. I may need to steal one from my sister inlaw or buy my own.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Kelty noah 12
    Insulation
    diy underquilts
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Check out the Walmart hammocks. Cheap and ready to go. I have seen videos on YouTube of it. I also have a bad back and have yet to wake up in pain after switching to a hammock. A diy hammock is very easy and loads of fun beware it is addictive. I have made 3 hammocks and 3 underquilts within the month. You're definitely going to want some sort of bottom insulation. The ccf pads work good but for me are a bit fussy. I like the underquilt much better. Also don't give up on the hammock. It took me a few tries to get the best hang. I like quite a bit of sag in my hammock. Otherwise it will squeeze my shoulders a lot.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by will_j View Post
    Check out the Walmart hammocks. Cheap and ready to go. I have seen videos on YouTube of it. I also have a bad back and have yet to wake up in pain after switching to a hammock. A diy hammock is very easy and loads of fun beware it is addictive. I have made 3 hammocks and 3 underquilts within the month. You're definitely going to want some sort of bottom insulation. The ccf pads work good but for me are a bit fussy. I like the underquilt much better. Also don't give up on the hammock. It took me a few tries to get the best hang. I like quite a bit of sag in my hammock. Otherwise it will squeeze my shoulders a lot.
    A ridgeline helps me keep the right angle. No shoulder issues. I am not sure if the woot, walmart or any of the other cheaper hammocks use a rl. If I am relaxing in the yard a hammock without a rl is ok, but if I am sleeping in it I want to be able to lay diagnal and reproduce the same results.

Hammock
    GoatBone DIY 1.1
    Tarp
    Sheltowee 8x10
    Insulation
    HG/enLightened
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    This generosity of forum members here amazes me...thanks for restoring my faith in humanity

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    To put a little emphasis on the hanging process, not the diy process, I wanted to say, great job at including an adjustable SRL (structural ridge line) for the hammock. Make sure there are witness marks and a different color mark for the "zero" line.

SirLips will find this to be most helpful in finding his sweet spot. Remember, the 83% is a starting point and that's why miyanc is making it adjustable to be either longer or shorter.

Remember to take pics of your hangs and practice at home to find what works best.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    To put a little emphasis on the hanging process, not the diy process, I wanted to say, great job at including an adjustable SRL (structural ridge line) for the hammock. Make sure there are witness marks and a different color mark for the "zero" line.

SirLips will find this to be most helpful in finding his sweet spot. Remember, the 83% is a starting point and that's why miyanc is making it adjustable to be either longer or shorter.

Remember to take pics of your hangs and practice at home to find what works best.
    That is correct.

Btw whoopies are done and I cut the straps. I am pretty much in a holding pattern until the thread and/or fabric arrives.

Edit: I can cut the bugnets. I will get those done tomorrow befor the mail gets here.
    Last edited by miyanc; 07-24-2014 at 00:43.

Hammock
    MIYANC CUSTOM
    Tarp
    YUKON DIAMOND
    Insulation
    SWEET BABY LOVIN
    Suspension
    MIYANC DIY CUSTOM
    Flo Hanger, (catchy hu?)

Thanks for the info.

THE miyac,

Sounds awesome, love the updates, very excited. I have to admit...I only spent 2 hours yesterday looking at videos and maybe 2 hours reading posts (son had a baseball game) So i have this under control...Im not adicted.... I could stop if i wanted to.... I dont NEED this... Everyone else is doing it.... Its not like its bad for me...

Have a great day bud!

Go VIKINGS

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Thread arrived today. So I ordered magna first, diy second and dutch last. I got dutch first, just got the thread and still no magna. If I dont get it tomorrow I will call larry and see what the hold up is.

So today and tomorrow I am hoping to get to finishing the straps, bags and organizers and nets. That should only leave the hammocks, rl, channel loops. If I get the fabric tomorrow I may be done by monday.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast