Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SirLips View Post
    Do you guys think i will need to use some sort of water sealant on the Tarps? We got the woot deal Rain tarps and they seem good, but i dont want to get to the BWCA and find out i have 7 days of sleeping under a tarp that doesnt keep water out. I used the garden house on them and it was fine...but thought it may be good to spray them with a tent sealer...What do you think? I was also thinking about spraying the nylon on the bottom side of the sleepingbag underquilts, to help protect them and keep them waterproof. Thoughts?
    Pitch it in the yard and spray it with a hose. Better to find the leaks in the yard.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Just checking in to see if there are any updates.
    I have had a stomach bug, or what I like to call " I will never eat at taco bell again". I have one completely done and in the stuff sack. I have most of the other bug net to do but I am tired and going to bed. I will ship the 2 hammocks ( one complete and the other just missing the bugnet) tomorrow. I will finish the other bug net and see if I can ship it out sat or monday. I will finish up my videos tomorrow when I set it up before I ship. Mainly because I dont have trees. I hung it between 2 doors tonight to check it out. I will try and explain the details that I didnt get to video while I constructed it. My goal is to figure out how to mix the videos together and be ready to post it once you get them.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Hi Miyanc and others, i have come up with a few questions, while watching videos, reading MANY articles/threads/post and thinking about how this will all work for this trip. I suppose this really isnt on topic, for what i meant this thread to be, but since so many have kept up on this thread, i hope to get some advice.

I think we have the hammock, fly, bugnet all worked out. Im confident in being able to get it hung correctly and how to adjust it and "fit it".

My concern/questions now are about our UQ/PAD/UQP..etc.

The situation again is we will be canoeing into BWCA (Far North MN) for 8 days. The weather looks to be Perfect for a trip like this. 75F Highs and lows in the low 50f's. The humidity in MN durring this time of year can swing dramatically. Some days its perfect, other days you can swim through the air its so humid. The morning now are wet...the grass, vehicles are all covered in dew in the mornings. It looks to be clear, with 2-3 days calling for the possibility of rain. (its still 8 days from now...so the weather isnt to clear yet)

We have several things we can bring (already have) to use for warmth. We will be each using a sleeping bag to sleep in. Mine is a North Face 40 degree bag and Mikes is another 40Degree bag...both oversized mummy bags. We have 2 closed cell foam pads, 2 pads that are egg shell material on one side and have a closed cell backing on the other. (the CCF is much thinner on these 2 pads, than on the regular pads) and we have shorter pad that is not CCF...i believe it was used by the GF for working out/yoga.. Its 4-5 feet long. We also picked up 2 sleeping bags that we intended on using for under quilts. They are are both older sythetic bags. I also have a couple very thin polar fleece "throws" or small blankets that could be used to wrap over the pads.

I am worried that we will run into condensation issues. Is the under quilt AND a sleeping pad going to be too much? Should we just use the pads? Just the UQ? Do we need to waorry about An UQP? Is the dew going to be an issue, anything we can do to help with it?

I'm planning and am able to bring everything and mess around...which is probably the best way to see what works for us, but at the same time if everyone said "dont worry about the UQ if you have pads, or visa versa...then we wont waste the extra hassle of bringing everything. likewise if there is no need to cover the pads with the thin fleece blankets, then we wont waste the space to bring them.

Thanks everyone for the input.
    This is the way I see it. A pad will definitely work, but its not as comfortable and even if you dont get condensation you will probably get sweat build up between you and the pad. You may have the issue with your shoulders. These hammocks are wide enough you could fit 2 pads to cover the shoulders.

If you had a made for hammocks uq it would be a no brainer. So the question will be how well you can cinch the diy uq. I am hoping you will get these asap and you will have time to adjust the uq.

In terms of condensation, if its bad it will be everywhere. Yes an uqp may help but if your to hot you will have the same issue you would with the pad... sweat.

I would set up, test what you got and go with that. Pads weight nothing. I usually carry an us army pad with me. Its so light and durable I can use it as a pad, or something to lay on. If I am car camping or like u bringing the farm I usually bring an extra sleeping bag for either me or emerson. If I get cold I can add it or like I told you I have modified a cheap rectangular bag as a pea pod.

Hammock
    MIYANC CUSTOM
    Tarp
    YUKON DIAMOND
    Insulation
    SWEET BABY LOVIN
    Suspension
    MIYANC DIY CUSTOM
    Thanks for the update. I will keep an eye on the mail. If you PM me a tracking number i will go on and give them delivery directions so if im not home they have a place to drop it.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Hammocks are off. Pm sent witn tracking number. Hope all arrives safely on monday. I made the worst rushed video in the parking lot of the po. Used a flag pole and my truck to hang the completed one. I havent watched yet but I bet its wonderful. I am hoping to finish the other bugnet and ship tomorrow.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    The second bugnet is complete. I will bag it up and ship it out monday. I also forgot to put the locks on the shock cord for the bugnet, I will be shipping those out with the other one. I folded the none looped end of the tree straps. Making a smaller loop to splice a small continuous loop to attach the toggles. My drill bit broke slipping off. So I sent the zing it, toggles and straps off. Sirlips you can assemble when you get it. Hopefully you have a better drill set up. A vise would have been great. I told sirlips I he could get a quick lesson on splicing or just put an over hand knot in the end. Either way it will help to not loose the toggle.
    The usps tracking shows last updated in charlotte on 8-8 hopefully its on a truck getting ready to be scqnned in mn. I have formally disputed my purchase with magna. I hate for it because it is by far the cheapest option. I fully appreciate that you get what you pay for. It only goes to show how lucky we have it with our supply venders like dutch, ripstop and diy. I have not used owfinc, but have heard good things. Maybe I should place all an order for magna over the phone and not need it.

Hammock
    MIYANC CUSTOM
    Tarp
    YUKON DIAMOND
    Insulation
    SWEET BABY LOVIN
    Suspension
    MIYANC DIY CUSTOM
    I'll keep an eye out for the items Monday and hopefully wed for the net. Will be nice to have the week to get them set up and sorted out.

Thanks again miyanc!

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Reading through this thread makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Look forward to seeing the pics and videos.

All you guys are awesome.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    The first package shows delivered. Second is in the mail.

Hammock
    MIYANC CUSTOM
    Tarp
    YUKON DIAMOND
    Insulation
    SWEET BABY LOVIN
    Suspension
    MIYANC DIY CUSTOM
    DELIVERED! Im done with work in 10 minutes...ill speed home, running over any slow elderly people or fat children that get in my way and be ripping the boxes open in less than 1/2 an hour.

After going "what, this goes where, whats this for?" i will slow down, figure it out and then be sure to post a few pictures and a post on what i think of them. Ill be back soon...

..Ah, its close enough...time to lock up!

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast