Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SirLips View Post
    DELIVERED! Im done with work in 10 minutes...ill speed home, running over any slow elderly people or fat children that get in my way and be ripping the boxes open in less than 1/2 an hour.

After going "what, this goes where, whats this for?" i will slow down, figure it out and then be sure to post a few pictures and a post on what i think of them. Ill be back soon...

..Ah, its close enough...time to lock up!
    I hope you have fun. You have less work then you think. Its all together, well except for the other hammock which is missing the net. If you can you can set up both to see how they look. Let me knowmif you have any questions.

Hammock
    MIYANC CUSTOM
    Tarp
    YUKON DIAMOND
    Insulation
    SWEET BABY LOVIN
    Suspension
    MIYANC DIY CUSTOM
    Holy sweet baby Jesus!

Got them. It took alongggg time to set one up. About 25 seconds. Layed down and was ready to fall asleep. Seriously, a blind two year old with one arm and a twitch could have set this up in a minute. I laugh now that I see how simple it was. Why was I worried?

Slid in a pad. Worked perfect. I'm going to run back outside and act like a 5 year old on Christmas morning. I'll get some pictures going here after I put the rain fly up and mess with our DYI idea for the under quilt to see what works better.

Well done, both miyanc and mom over at Hammeck. I appreciated the two hand written notes that were added! Nice touch.

PS... Digital camo.
    Last edited by SirLips; 08-11-2014 at 19:52.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Quasi DIY hammock kit? by hammeck or others?

This has been a very fun and inspiring thread to read so far, hoping to hear a great trip report from the BWCA. I got me thinking on a somewhat tangental or off topic but still "who makes DIY Hammocks" line of thought. For someone like me who can sew but does it very poorly and knows it, but is fine with splicing, suspensions, SRL and learning stuff like that from youtube, if miyanc or meckelangelo (hammeck.com) could use fabric they bought or fabric someone like me mailed to them to sew up a "blank" i.e. just hemmed sides and channels this would help "A LOT". Because bad stitching by someone who rarely sews (me) is just bad news to hang in and a poor use of time (personal experience). So bottom line the shipping back and forth may not save a lot a money over all, but when a person like me (I'm sure there are many others) gets almost exactly what they want, everyone is happily hanging from trees. (in hammocks that is). :-) "Almost" because if I had exactly what I wanted for every type of trip I take I would need a warehouse of 20+ different hammocks, backpacks and personal watercraft and I would be repeatedly divorced and very broke, and not any happier.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    This has been a very fun and inspiring thread to read so far, hoping to hear a great trip report from the BWCA. I got me thinking on a somewhat tangental or off topic but still "who makes DIY Hammocks" line of thought. For someone like me who can sew but does it very poorly and knows it, but is fine with splicing, suspensions, SRL and learning stuff like that from youtube, if miyanc or meckelangelo (hammeck.com) could use fabric they bought or fabric someone like me mailed to them to sew up a "blank" i.e. just hemmed sides and channels this would help "A LOT". Because bad stitching by someone who rarely sews (me) is just bad news to hang in and a poor use of time (personal experience). So bottom line the shipping back and forth may not save a lot a money over all, but when a person like me (I'm sure there are many others) gets almost exactly what they want, everyone is happily hanging from trees. (in hammocks that is). :-) "Almost" because if I had exactly what I wanted for every type of trip I take I would need a warehouse of 20+ different hammocks, backpacks and personal watercraft and I would be repeatedly divorced and very broke, and not any happier.
    I had no idea how to sew, how a machine worked or anything when I started. I went from buying and fixing the machines to sewing hammocks in less then a few months. I we tenacious in learning. First becoming familiar with the machines, and then for my secret santa gift thru hf I got a bunch of fabric scraps. Then I ordered enough materials to make 12 hammocks. I started slow and yes my sewing was wobbly. It still gets a little wonkie. But I feel myself getting better everytime I run thru something.

Another thought. Sewing is much more then fabric, machine and thread. Learning how it all works togeher. How each step prepares you for the next. It really is quite beautiful. I would say take your skills and practice. Go to a store and get the cheapest fabric. Get old sheats. And run the machine. It gets easier.

As long as I have the time I will sew for whomever. I will only take on one project at a time. I already have someone directly sending me the material. This will cut down on cost. I wont begin to speak for others but the vendors like hammeck sell there time. For someome like me I am using all this as experience and most of all keeping thsi community as special as I can.

Hammock
    MIYANC CUSTOM
    Tarp
    YUKON DIAMOND
    Insulation
    SWEET BABY LOVIN
    Suspension
    MIYANC DIY CUSTOM
    here's a few pictures. My 5 year old helping to give perspective. Btw, I exaggerated about a 2 year old setting it up in 1 minute. It took my 5 year old 2 minutes with only helping lift her up to put slings on the trees.

We put a sleeping bag under it to see how an UQ would work. Just used some bungies to hold it on. Worked fine but will be sorting a better and faster system over next two days.

Lets try that again....

D.JPG

B.JPG

A.JPG

C.JPG

H.JPG

G.JPG

F.JPG
    Last edited by SirLips; 08-12-2014 at 16:31.

Hammock
    MIYANC CUSTOM
    Tarp
    YUKON DIAMOND
    Insulation
    SWEET BABY LOVIN
    Suspension
    MIYANC DIY CUSTOM
    Continued:

E.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg F.JPG (155.3 KB, 39 views)
    Last edited by SirLips; 08-12-2014 at 16:32.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Picks not posting.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the advice miyanc. My mother first showed me and my sister how to use a machine when I was about 12 years old many decades ago, but living a busy life I never got real good at it. So as you know ripping out seams weakens a material so a stuff sack is one thing but a quasi UL hammock close to the limit of the fabric for long distance backpacking etc has more demanding requirements etc.

I hope SirLips can figure out how to get those photos uploaded. I have had problems with the batch upload and always had to do it one by one. As they say "If software don't have no bugs it needs more features added to it, and if the customer complains about a SW bug tell'um it's a feature." LOL ;-)

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    Thanks for the advice miyanc. My mother first showed me and my sister how to use a machine when I was about 12 years old many decades ago, but living a busy life I never got real good at it. So as you know ripping out seams weakens a material so a stuff sack is one thing but a quasi UL hammock close to the limit of the fabric for long distance backpacking etc has more demanding requirements etc.

I hope SirLips can figure out how to get those photos uploaded. I have had problems with the batch upload and always had to do it one by one. As they say "If software don't have no bugs it needs more features added to it, and if the customer complains about a SW bug tell'um it's a feature." LOL ;-)
    I always add one at a time as well.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Hey sirlips, do you have a scale? I broke mine at the pinewood derby last year. I would be curious what the total weight with straps toggles and such.

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast