Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Noob looking for main gear

ok,

Noob (still) Looking for:

Top-quilt and Under-quilt
    Boots
    Backpack

Got the hammock and tarp taken care of! Thanks a bunch.
    Last edited by durinsbane; 07-17-2014 at 18:18.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    As far as boots and backpack are concerned, you should really consider trying before you buy. Visit a local outfitter and try that stuff out. There is no better way to get discouraged from hiking and quitting after one outing than by having the wrong footwear for it. I wouldn't buy either of those things used without having first hand experience with the exact model and size beforehand, ESPECIALLY for footwear.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You could try making a hammock to try....pretty easy DIY.....http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html
    Really helps to know how the rig works and the process is invaluable.
    Make sure to get a pack that fits you. There are specs to getting a good fit. Back length.
    Ease into it all and enjoy.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Thanks Shug,
    I did get an idea of my measurements for pack by visiting the ula website. Maybe I'll try making a hammock but I'm sure I'm gonna buy anyway and
    chances are slim that what I make would compare with what I could buy.

And Thanks Dangling,
    I am certain that boots are very important (if not the most important) but it's likely that trying them on in a store will not suffice for actually getting a feel for whether they'll work the best or not since you can't really do a day hike inside the store. That's where I'm hoping the people
    on this list will help out by giving some good opinions about what they like best.

Hammock
    DIY: Arial bridge, WBBB XLC clone
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff
    +1 to DanglingModifier's suggestion. My favorite outfitter is a co-op. They guarantee satisfaction on everything they carry. It made my decision to buy a backpack and a T--- a lot less stressful, because I knew that if they didn't work for me, I could return them, no question.
    Go try on some gear. Have someone help you with sizing and fitting. Once you get your 'feet wet' so to say, buying used gear will be less of a gamble, because you will know what criteria you need met.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    You will also get 10 different responses about footwear, from 10 different people. Likely most of your questions. I get my boots from REI, you pay a bit more, but that bulletproof return policy is like gold. I recently went in and explained to them that the $100 boots I bought a year prior were hurting my feet and I need a new pair. I had no intention of returning the old pair...after a year, who would? THEY told me to bring them back. I spent a good chunk money on a new pair of Lowa boots. I had been leaning towards a pair of trail runner type shoes, but stepped back from that idea after talking to somebody about my immediate and future needs. A week later brought in the old ones for a full refund. A year, and over 230 trail miles plus a ton of work miles too. No questions asked.

They also have the tools there to properly size you for a backpack, rather than guessing. I got sized there and took the information with. I ended up contacting Chris at ULA and he took that info, along with some other details and was able to put me into a pack that I've been pretty comfortable with.

All that being said I just completed a purchase from a user here for a Blackbird hammock and I've been happy. Those items: hammock, quilts, tarps, aren't as personal size wise.

But sizing on items like pack and shoes can make all the difference in happy or miserable.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    What type of hammock are you looking for? Gathered end or Bridge.....

I have a couple Bridge Hammocks I made that are just the bodies with suspension (no end caps or bug nets) that I wouldn't mind passing along for the cost of the materials. You would need to add spreader bars at a minimum.

Both are double layer Argon 1.6 with Amsteel Blue suspension.

The black one uses 43" spreaders and is roughly 50" wide at either end with 8" cat cuts. The brown one is 59" wide at either end and uses 47" spreaders with the same 8" cat cut. For the sake of transparency... These bridges are on the large side. I prefer to stretch out when hammocking so I used the full width of the fabric. They are also roughly 80" long.

P1030210.JPG
    P1030209.JPG
    P1030208.JPG
    P1030207.JPG
    Last edited by opie; 07-17-2014 at 14:43.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Jump on some of this.......https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...medical-bills!
    Hurry)))))
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by durinsbane View Post
    I am certain that boots are very important (if not the most important) but it's likely that trying them on in a store will not suffice for actually getting a feel for whether they'll work the best or not since you can't really do a day hike inside the store.
    Amen to that. Something that feels good in the store can still near cripple you on the trail. The difference is that something you haven't tried on in advance almost certainly WILL hurt you on the trail depending on the nature of your hike. Gear selection is an intimate and personal thing, and no piece of it is more varied and personally suited to your requirements than your footwear.

My most recent boot purchase was a really expensive pair of Solomon boots that were reviewed broadly and very favorably. They felt good in the store. I hiked around town with them to break them in (well over 100 miles) in many walks ranging up to and over 10 miles, but with no steep rocky trails or pack on my back. They still felt good. I took them on the trail and within 100 miles my feet were deeply bruised and battered, though I didn't have a single blister (which are common for me). Months later the nail on my left big toe is still hanging on for its life because the toe bed is so bruised (I did another 100 uncomfortable miles after the problems had manifested which probably didn't help things). So you can't really trust how they feel in the store, nor other people's opinions on their comfort, nor how they feel in circumstances dissimilar to how you'd use them on the trail. You won't really know how well they work until you're on the trail for a bit. So with that in mind using a company like REI with a no questions asked return policy starts to make a lot more sense when investing in a new model of footwear, as others have pointed out.

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest
    Insulation
    ThermaRest Z-Lite
    Images
    I've got a few items I'm looking to part with. Going to send a PM with the details

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast