WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing

Cuben Fiber Disaster?

Is there anything I should be wary of before embarking on my tarp project?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Be wary of specifics. Try to be as general as possible. Also, check your bank balance.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can poke a hole in it pretty easily.........especially when pitched tightly.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Make sure you have enough double sided tape.....nothing worse than running out of tape
    when your project is almost finished & your all psyched up to take it out on it's first trial !
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Be wary of specifics. Try to be as general as possible.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Be wary of specifics. Try to be as general as possible.
    Could you elaborate? Do you mean that you should try to avoid making it too small, where the "specific" is rain coming in from a less than 2° angle from the direction of the force of gravity?

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Do not forget the hypontenuse!
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Could you elaborate? Do you mean that you should try to avoid making it too small, where the "specific" is rain coming in from a less than 2° angle from the direction of the force of gravity?
    No, and my apologies. Your very general question caught me in a funny mood and mild sarcasm was the result. To make amends I stand ready to answer any questions I know the answers for. Making a cuben tarp is easier than making a silnylon tarp, but it's a different fabrication process than sewing, so you're wise to do some research. One piece of advice I can give at the outset is to find an adequate workspace with enough room to spread out your materials for measuring, cutting, and bonding. Most likely this will be a large floor. If it's indoors, that's good because breezes won't blow your cuben around when you're trying to bond it. However, some bonding methods require using chemicals that require adequate ventilation. Ventilation = breezes. I apply primer outside on the porch with weights holding down the cuben. The primer takes about 5 minutes to dry, and then I bring it inside to finish the bonds with adhesive transfer tape, but I still weight the cuben down to keep it from moving, because opening doors or wagging dog tails can generate breezes. Cuben is very light.

There are other good methods of bonding cuben as well. Let us know which one you're planning to use, and someone familiar with it may have some tips for you.

Tell us about your proposed tarp design and any other pertinent details. By the way, is that a warm summer shower falling at less than 2° from vertical or a cold nor'easter? (I predict success for your project. Anybody who takes the trouble to use a degree symbol in a post has what it takes to make a cuben tarp: attention to detail.)

I have had a couple of tarp construction catastrophes, but they involved silnylon and thread injectors. Cuben is much more forgiving.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I stand ready to answer any questions I know the answers for. Making a cuben tarp is easier than making a silnylon tarp, but it's a different fabrication process than sewing, so you're wise to do some research. One piece of advice I can give at the outset is to find an adequate workspace with enough room to spread out your materials for measuring, cutting, and bonding. Most likely this will be a large floor. If it's indoors, that's good because breezes won't blow your cuben around when you're trying to bond it. However, some bonding methods require using chemicals that require adequate ventilation. Ventilation = breezes. I apply primer outside on the porch with weights holding down the cuben. The primer takes about 5 minutes to dry, and then I bring it inside to finish the bonds with adhesive transfer tape, but I still weight the cuben down to keep it from moving, because opening doors or wagging dog tails can generate breezes. Cuben is very light.

There are other good methods of bonding cuben as well. Let us know which one you're planning to use, and someone familiar with it may have some tips for you.

Tell us about your proposed tarp design and any other pertinent details. By the way, is that a warm summer shower falling at less than 2° from vertical or a cold nor'easter? (I predict success for your project. Anybody who takes the trouble to use a degree symbol in a post has what it takes to make a cuben tarp: attention to detail.)
    Thanks! I was planning on following SGT. Rock's guide using 3M 94 Tape Primer, painted on with either a paintbrush or Popsicle stick, and the cf double sided tape. I wasn't planning on sewing anything, except maybe the tie out points.

I have some other questions:
    Is it possible to glue the tie outs on instead of sewing them?
    How quickly do you need to work before the primer dries?

Images
    your not sewing anything? Will tape and glue really take all that stress? Not degrade and peel off over time?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast