LAWSON BLUE RIDGE (and its STABLE!)
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    Therma & Reflectix
    Suspension
    eno ATLAS

Desperately seeking MacCat Deluxe

I have been trying to contact a guy named Brian from outdoor equipment supplies. Apparently the Maccat tarps are very well-liked, much lighter than the other stuff I have looked at and the perfect size and shape for what I want. I am sleeping in a lawson Blue Ridge Hammock so it is a little different then the banana style or hanging hammocks... I think they call this a bridge Hammock. Anyways, the maccat deluxe is 10.8 feet by 8.6 feet..... This is really exactly what I'm looking for.
    The biggest problem is I cannot get a hold of this guy to save my life!
    Every once in a while I run across a vendor like this on the Internet. They sell a great product but no one can ever get a hold of them... A bummer considering I'm trying to give him money.

At this point I'm a little bit frustrated and almost willing to pay full MSRP for a used Maccat deluxe as long as it is in good condition with no rips, holes or patches.
    I would really like to give this guy my business and own a new tarp but don't know if he is still even operating. I actually think that I saw a reply to a thread from him on this forum not more than a week ago but I could be mistaken as I am very new to this forum and viewing from a smart phone.
    If anyone has any direct contact information for him it would be very appreciated. If anyone has a used tarp like this they would want to sell this too would be very appreciated. And finally, if there is a competitor or someone that has a very similar Tarp and similar shape I would be willing to go that route especially if I can get a hold of them.
    Thanks everyone

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    Don't even try. If I wasn't mobile I'd post links to the many complaint threads. There are many other almost identical tarps from other makers, why are you so fixated on the macat?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You better do a little OES research. Customer service and communication issues. OES is the only vendor with a sticky warning you about these issues. Caveat emptor.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...uying-from-OES

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ubles-with-OES

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Done-with-OES!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    A LOT of people have had issues with OES.

All of the manufacturers who are active on the forum make great gear. Saying that I would recommend Underground Quilts. Customer service is top notch, as are their products. They do custom work as well so it may be worth emailing Paul to see if they could make one to your specs.

I have also seen numerous posts with people recommended Simply Light Designs and he seems happy to do custom work too.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    There are many tarps available for your consideration.
    Why would you "desperately want" an M.Dlx from OES if you can't "reach" the vendor?

130"x104" isn't tough to make. Many vendors offer a standard 132" ridgeline length.

For example, WildernessLogics Big Daddy is only 4 1\2" wider on either side and is available in 132" ridgeline length. If you would want it exactly the dimensions spec'd, a phone call to Marty will get it done.

You may want to rethink the size of the tarp given that you are using a bridge hammock, wider is better, even if you are looking out from underneath the bridge.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    There is a sub forum devoted to OES Tarps here on the forums. I would suggest you head over there, and do a little reading.

You'll find that no one refutes the fact that OES makes great gear. The issue is that there is a long history of just what you are reporting - no response, no followup, product never received, etc. Supposedly Brian has gotten things worked out a little better and many people are reporting ordering a tarp and receiving it within a week. Others are still reporting never receiving product, or never getting a response when questions were asked leading up to a purchase.

My advice would be to check out the review threads, and make your own informed decision based on what you see. For every person that had a huge issue, you'll get someone who says they ordered and received it without a hitch. So do your research, weigh the pros and cons for yourself, and then decide based on that.

But don't discount other vendors as well. The Warbonnet Superfly or Mamajamba, the Wilderness Logics Big Daddy or Bullfrog, some of JRB's tarps, the tarps from Underground Quilts - all could be viable options to compare to OES. Warbonnet even makes a tarp designed to be used with a bridge hammock, and so does JacksRBetter, I believe.

Good luck, and if you have questions feel free to post them in the individual vendor sub forum - you're more likely to get the responses you're looking for there.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    Therma & Reflectix
    Suspension
    eno ATLAS
    Out of everything I have looked at it seems to be the biggest and the lightest for the size...
    But I've only looked at the Eno, the Hennessey, the edge from warbonnet.... I don't want the square shape because I feel that with that other shape (like the maccat) I can get a little more vision from inside the Blue Ridge... It also seems to cut down on weight a bit... If there are guys on the forum that make their own I would be interested in purchasing one if they were up to the task... The Cuban fiber stuff is way out of my range pricewise... I think I have 150 at Max to spend but I definitely want to try to get down to 13 ounces or better and be at least 10 1/2 feet long or even 11 and 8 feet wide minimum.

(Edit) this was a reply to the first commentor...
    I am so glad I got onto the forum and talked to you folks. Thank you so much for the replies and I will comment later on the other posters when I get to my computer and look forward to looking up and researching all the information you guys have given me. Thank you again

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBadgerBrigade View Post
    Out of everything I have looked at it seems to be the biggest and the lightest for the size...
    But I've only looked at the Eno, the Hennessey, the edge from warbonnet.... I don't want the square shape because I feel that with that other shape (like the maccat) I can get a little more vision from inside the Blue Ridge... It also seems to cut down on weight a bit... If there are guys on the forum that make their own I would be interested in purchasing one if they were up to the task... The Cuban fiber stuff is way out of my range pricewise... I think I have 150 at Max to spend but I definitely want to try to get down to 13 ounces or better and be at least 10 1/2 feet long or even 11 and 8 feet wide minimum.

(Edit) this was a reply to the first commentor...
    I am so glad I got onto the forum and talked to you folks. Thank you so much for the replies and I will comment later on the other posters when I get to my computer and look forward to looking up and researching all the information you guys have given me. Thank you again
    Check out the Mamajamba - 11' ridge line, 10' wide, $110. It's a Superfly (one of the most widely used 4 season tarps) without doors.

Again - the MacCat Deluxe is a great tarp - if you can get one. But it's for sure not the only option that fits your wish list.

Cheers!

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    The non-square shape is called a hexagonal cat cut or catenary cut.
    You're looking at 13oz for a 130"x104"

As an example the cat cut Big Daddy is 13.9oz at 132"x115" pricing starting at $110.
    http://www.wildernesslogics.com/BIG-DADDY-Big-Daddy.htm
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    Therma & Reflectix
    Suspension
    eno ATLAS
    THIS IS GREAT! I didn't know there were so many people that make this. I only desperately wanted one because I thought it was the only thing around that was as light as it was.... Very happy to know there are so many options
    Last edited by TheBadgerBrigade; 07-18-2014 at 04:52.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast