Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions about single layer vrs double layer.

Ok, here it is.
    I want to make my first hammock. I am 6' about 260lbs. I will be going for an 11' length for comfort. Can I use a 1 piece of 1.9oz for a single layer and be ok for the weight?
    Or, would I be better off with a double layer, say with one layer of 1.1oz and the other layer of 1.9oz? But, would/should I just get 2 layers that are 1.9oz each?
    I am ready to buy all the supplies, I just want to get the correct supplies the first time.

Thank you in advance for any and all information and thoughts.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    It's not just about weight limits but also comfort.

Here is a handy chart that provides some guidance.
    http://www.dream-hammock.com/ComfortRating.html

1.9 will work.

Double 1.1's are super comfy because they give or stretch a bit. Some folks prefer a stiffer fabric with less give to achieve a 'flatter lay'.

The new Argon 1.6 from dutch is great stuff. I love the feel of the fabric and it's plenty strong enough for your weight yet still reasonably light at 1.6oz. But the thing I really love about the Argon 1.6 is the feel, it feels better against the skin as compared to some 1.1's that can feel a little sticky or rubbery when it's humid out. Dutch mentioned something about going for a cotton like feel and the results are excellent imho.

http://dutchwaregear.com/argon-1.6.html
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Personally, i would go with the 1.9 on the outside and the 1.1 on the inside

If you are making your first hammock, what about making a tablecloth one so you can play with things like width and length and construction details in an inexpensive way before using more expensive materials.

Ratdog: That chart is AWESOME. I have been looking for a chart like that. Thank you very much!
    And the Argon cloth look nice too.
    Thanks!

Zilla: Does it matter what one (1.1 / 1.6) is on the inside/outside? Because, if it does not matter, then I can get two different colors, hopefully ones I like.
    Thank you for mentioning that, as I was not sure.

Momtaxi: I had thought thought of that. But I have looked over lots of information (and still looking) as far as size and width. From what I have read, 11 foot will be plenty long for my height, and the width, as all of the fabrics that I have seen, come in either 59 or 60 inch. I figure that I will lose a little bit on sewing the edges but not to much so I was not to worried about the width as much as the length. As far as price, I have been saving to build a hammock for a bit. I will likely be purchasing enough material to make 2 complete ones.
    Thank you for the thought of saving some money. Every bit helps.
    Last edited by Phrek; 07-18-2014 at 14:12.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 0Degree Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I am 6 foot and about 240 lbs. I run a double layer with 1.1 on the inside and 1.9 on the outside quite comfortably. It is stiff enough that it doesn't sag in the night but still has some give to it. I think you will like the 11' hammock. A 10' is the minimum I sleep comfortably in. Good Luck.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    It's not just about weight limits but also comfort.

Here is a handy chart that provides some guidance.
    http://www.dream-hammock.com/ComfortRating.html

1.9 will work.

Double 1.1's are super comfy because they give or stretch a bit. Some folks prefer a stiffer fabric with less give to achieve a 'flatter lay'.

The new Argon 1.6 from dutch is great stuff. I love the feel of the fabric and it's plenty strong enough for your weight yet still reasonably light at 1.6oz. But the thing I really love about the Argon 1.6 is the feel, it feels better against the skin as compared to some 1.1's that can feel a little sticky or rubbery when it's humid out. Dutch mentioned something about going for a cotton like feel and the results are excellent imho.

http://dutchwaregear.com/argon-1.6.html
    I can double this sentiment. The Argon fabric is heavenly.

Im also using it in single layer construction on a bridge. I am 6'4, 250#. Yes it stretches, but it stretches in all the right places. Its like there is full support on every inch of my body without creating pressure points.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I have slept in a Kammok Roo which is SL and my DH Thunderbird which is DL. They both sleep great, but it really comes down to preference. I love my double layer Thunderbird and it has an advantage of being able to put a pad in between the layers if you want to.

My plan was to use the D.I.Y. Gear Supply, Double layer pattern. It does have openings on each side(opposite ends) for using a pad between layers. This leads me to another question. If I plan on using an UQ, should I just sew up the two layers totally together?

Bruiserbaum: Thank you for the size weight and length info. I am now happy that may plans were for an 11 foot length.

Opie: This sounds Great/Even Better now, as far as looking at Argon fabric. Thank you!

ScRedneck: Thank you for the info on your double layer.

Thank you all for the great information!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I prefer a single layer hammock unless I am going to use pads. There's less fiddle factor with a single. But the double is more versatile due to the pad pocket. I have both and only use the double in winter when I think my under quilt may not be warm enough. (I have a zero degree underquilt).

A single layer 1.9, or a double layer 1.1 will support you comfortably, IMO.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast