Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly

New guy. About to order some WB gear and I have a few questions.

Hello,

I've been lurking here for a while and finally decided to post up with a few questions I have. After a couple years of wanting and waiting I'm finally getting ready to order my first hammock and tarp from Brandon. I spoke with him over email and boiled it down to the BBXLc double 1.1 with buckles. I might switch to whoopies later on but I like the simplicity of the buckles to start. Anyways, my questions come on the tarp side of things for the most part. I was originally set on the Mamajamba, but after some reading on here I've been going back and forth with the Superfly also. I've read a couple threads with a similar questions and most seemed to recommend getting the SF. Is this still the consensus? Sell me on one. I would definitely like to get snake skins for which ever tarp I end up with. Any recommendations for those, specifically for those two tarps? I'll also need some guylines and maybe suspension hardware if I decide to go for that route. What is the "best" guyline for tarps? Zing-it? I'm pretty savvy with knots but I do also like the ease and looks of hardware. I was looking at the Dutch Flyz and Wasps. Also the buckles are cool if I decide on whoopies later. Recommendations, comments?

I'm still very new to hammock camping but I've been interested in it for a couple years. I'm happy that I'm finally diving in. Since the "summer season" in Colorado is pretty much started now, and I'll have to wait for the hammock and tarp to get here, I'll probably only get a couple trips in with it before things get too cold. Because of that I'm thinking I'll probably be able to get away with a pad and a fleece or poncho liner for insulation. Is that a safe bet? Recommendations on fleece liners? Next season I'll probably try and pick up a quilt or two.

Other things that a new guy should know?

Thank you.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Superfly is a great tarp. I can offer these videos. Some knots, line, rigging, Wasps etc....
    Whoooo Buddy.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Hey Shug, thank you! I actually just watched those videos earlier today! I started watching your videos when I first got interested in hammocks so I remembered to look you up when I decided that it was time to buy. I'm always entertained by the videos you make. Keep it up! I'll rewatch those tarps videos tomorrow some time. Maybe I'll run across you in MN. I have lots of family that I visit in the Twin Cities area.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Pad will do you just fine......

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantharellus View Post
    I was originally set on the Mamajamba, but after some reading on here I've been going back and forth with the Superfly also. I've read a couple threads with a similar questions and most seemed to recommend getting the SF. Is this still the consensus?
    Consensus; that's funny. I don't think you're gonna find that on tarps. It all depends on your camping style, whether you hike, whether you do 4-season camping, whether you're on a budget, whether you're ultralight, etc.

With that said, if I could own just one tarp, it would be the HG Winter Palace. It's 8.5 oz. of cuben fiber and costs $400. If that was out of my price range, then my second choice would be the Superfly. I like doors and full coverage 'cause I 4-season camp. I camp in crappy weather with blowing precipitation. I like staying dry.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Brandon sells guylines for tarps. I would just buy the 100 foot spool from him since your already paying for shipping. I bought a superfly for my tarp. I wanted the doors for extra protection and privacy.

I don't have any hardware for my tarp set up. The more you set it up the easier and faster it is. It seems overwhelming at first with all the knots and all the things you have to do to set it up. Although I do constantly think about buying Dutch's gear, but I haven't been fed up enough to.

SilvrSurfr Hit it on the head you have to decide what you want in your tarp and what you plan to use it for. The mamajamba and superfly are listed as the same length and width on the site so the only difference is the doors. The price is a 20 dollar difference. The door kit will run you 75 if you did decide you wanted them later.
    Last edited by ArcticFire; 07-19-2014 at 03:45.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Both the Superfly and the Mamajamba are excellent tarps. Which one will suit you better depends on your needs (and wants).

1. Will you be carrying your tarp a lot of miles? Or will you be using it for bike or car camping mostly?
    2. Will you be camping in cold and/or bad weather a lot?
    3. Do you need a lot of privacy?

If weight and volume is no issue (as with car camping), go with the Superfly.
    If you plan on hanging in the winter and/or in really bad weather, go with the Superfly.
    If you need a lot of privacy, the doors of the Superfly will provide it.
    If you carry your tarp a lot, need to save weight and do mostly 3-season camping under "normal" conditions (no hurricanes etc.), go with the Mamajamba.
    If you can only afford one tarp *ever* and want to keep your options open, go with the Superfly.

The only negatives with the Superfly are weight and pack volume.

When I got into hammocks, I thought I *needed* a tarp with doors. Since I couldn't buy one (nobody sold them then), I got the Mamajamba instead. Turns out, it was the perfect choice for me. I don't do winter camping and privacy hasn't been a huge issue up to now (either I stay in public campgrounds and use the wash rooms for changing, or I'm in the backcountry and there's nobody around anyway), but saving a couple of ounces is a big deal as I already have to carry a lot of insulation. The Mamajamba is huge; I got an Edge last year and this has been absolutely sufficient. The MJ is a palace in comparison.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I had a Mambajamba at one time but went to the Superfly for more coverage. Between the two I had a JRB but prefer the Superfly for the pullouts and the doors.
    As for tie outs, I like knots but this system works so well that I use it.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...highlight=loks
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    For tarp sleeves , I like the mesh ones that mountain goat makes. I've not put sleeves on my XLC. But I've got HH sleeves on a WBBB and they work fine
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Both the Superfly and the Mamajamba are excellent tarps.

If weight and volume is no issue (as with car camping), go with the Superfly.
    If you plan on hanging in the winter and/or in really bad weather, go with the Superfly.
    If you need a lot of privacy, the doors of the Superfly will provide it.
    If you carry your tarp a lot, need to save weight and do mostly 3-season camping under "normal" conditions (no hurricanes etc.), go with the Mamajamba.
    If you can only afford one tarp *ever* and want to keep your options open, go with the Superfly.
    Great summary. You are on a role

I have both the SF and MJ.
    The SF goes in the pack more than the MJ.
    The rest of my backpack items are light weight, so the extra weight of the SF tarp doesn't bother me. Plus I like the added coverage from the elements.
    It also means I don't have to worry about site selection as much.
    Now if I have was doing long/hard trails, or if my pack weighed more than I like, I'd go with the lightest option more.

Wilderness Logics also sells snakeskins - that's what I use for both the tarps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast