Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Why dilute it other then to save money? Why not use it at full strength?

[QUOTE=Hammonkey;1293101]pfff... stupid privileges to view.[/

Ha! Took the words right out of my mouth.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Excess is rarely a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by stalker42 View Post
    Interesting question. Soak hammock and clothes in a 20 - 37% solution rather than a 0.5 - 2% solution? Well even after it drys in the fabric it still is somewhat water soluble, despite what some people claim. My guess is that your sweat and the humidity will leech more of it out into your skin and the environment. Like salt and many other things your body can handle a reasonable amount of low level toxins but if you over load it or are not super healthy to begin with, bad things can happen. Also this excess is bad for the environment. It is a little bit like the guy who fertilized his lawn every week all year long. Sure his grass was very green for a while but most of the fertilizer just washed off into the creeks and lakes caused excessive algae bloom and killed off the aquatic life, fish etc. Excessive life styles are not necessarily an American birth right promised in the constitution.

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    In thinking that's a bit of a exaggeration. I highly doubt my hammock will become a superfund site. No matter how much premethrin it's soaked in. Though I will agree that soaking my underwear in that much chemical probably won't be a grand idea.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    It may be safe for human use, but it's still a neurotoxin. Use your head.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by stalker42 View Post
    I'll admit I'm not a scientist or a pesticide expert - so I can't answer your question fully. But I'd think it's a matter of concentrated toxicity. 500mg of ibuprofen is fine for your body, and will help with pain and inflammation. 10,000mg will undoubtedly be toxic. That's the ratio we're talking - 20 to 1 (diluting 10% permethrin down to .5% permethrin).

Same thing with bleach. You mix a capful or two of bleach with a gallon of water, and you can use it to sanitize. If you get it on your hands, it's not gonna do too much harm unless you're sensitive. But you really don't want to wash your hands with undiluted bleach - it will not make your skin happy. Or most things you pour it on.

I could probably think of dozens of similar examples (caffeine, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid in acme medication, etc.) but I think you probably get what I'm suggesting. More is not always better, methinks.

Banned
    Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Federal Law for your safety, follow labeled directions please

Mostly it is just common sense BUT technically you are in violation of Federal Law every time you use a pesticide (insecticide, fungicide etc) not according to the labeled directions i.e. dilute it improperly. So if your kid or someone gets ill and you take them to an ER or whatever there is no possibility of successful legal action against the insecticide company.

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/regula...uct-labels.htm

Wikipedia puts it in a more simple english in case the legal language of the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) and all its amendments over the last 6 decades has you confused:

"Labeling of Pesticides
    A pesticide can only be used legally according to the directions on the label that is included at the time of the sale of the pesticide. The language that is used on the label must be approved by the EPA before it can be sold or distributed in the United States. The purpose of the label is to “provide clear directions for effective product performance while minimizing risk to human health and the environment.” A label is a legally binding document that mandates how the pesticide can and must be used and failure to follow the label as written when using the pesticide is a federal offense."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pestici..._United_States

But once again, this is just COMMON SENSE, not BIG BAD GOVERNMENT trying to deprive you of your freedoms, they are just trying to help all of us "pursue happiness" despite some of us and our own foolishness. I spent hundreds of hours on a County Horticulture Agent Help desk email/phone line volunteering. If we Master Gardeners put a dime in a jar for every time we said "follow the labeled directions" cancer would be cured. LOL some people just need to be rescued from themselves. This only sounds condescending if you are extremely foolish, a wise persons heeds wisdom.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    But once again, this is just COMMON SENSE, not BIG BAD GOVERNMENT trying to deprive you of your freedoms, they are just trying to help all of us "pursue happiness" despite some of us and our own foolishness. I spent hundreds of hours on a County Horticulture Agent Help desk email/phone line volunteering. If we Master Gardeners put a dime in a jar for every time we said "follow the labeled directions" cancer would be cured. LOL some people just need to be rescued from themselves. This only sounds condescending if you are extremely foolish, a wise persons heeds wisdom.
    With all due respect, it sounds condescending because your last paragraph is written in a condescending tone. Even your disclaimer about not being condescending is condescending.

That paragraph aside, your point is well taken.

Cheers.

Banned
    Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

"safe for human use" if used as directed by the label

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    It may be safe for human use, but it's still a neurotoxin. Use your head.
    Safe when used according to labeled directions. Take a manufacture to court over a sick or dead pet, livestock or child and they will have the case dismissed very quickly for this reason. I have friends in the ranching and nursery trade that will testify to that. I may not be a licensed attorney but I have worked very closely with several. Once again COMMON SENSE, no law or science degree required.

Hammock
    MIYANC CUSTOM
    Tarp
    YUKON DIAMOND
    Insulation
    SWEET BABY LOVIN
    Suspension
    MIYANC DIY CUSTOM
    Simply put, .5% is effective at atlmost instantly killing bugs. So the question would be why use a stronger formula? it wont kill them any quicker. The chemical, when adhered to the material, isnt going to last longer. It would be a simple waste to use more than .5%.

If you want to adjust the effectiveness, it is based on saturation, not sollution strength, in THIS instance, because of how the chemical works. Deet and other chemicals work in a different way and are not bonding to material in the same way that a perm bath will.

If you want to get the most out of this, its will soley be based on how much you adhere to the fabric..ie, srapying it on vs soaking it. I soak.

My biggest concern with using a strong, less dilluted solution would be all the other things in the bottle besides perm... In this case, the pertrolium distolates. They smell terrible (to me) and the undilluted sollution would take a very long time to not smell so bad. With the .5% i cant smell anything after 2 days of outside air drying. Bags, and other places may need to be turned inside out after 1 day to help with airing out the smell...OR Martins does make a 10% that has no distolates. (they have to put these on the lable, so if it doesnt clearly say they have them, it doesnt.) Please post if you find another brand with no PD's that is compairable in price.

Cheers.
    Last edited by SirLips; 07-22-2014 at 10:13.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast