Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newb that doesn't even own a hammock...

Yet!!!

Here's the nitty gritty. I am 24. I live in southern California and have slowly made my way into the hiking camping lifestyle. Most of my gear is home brewed or inexpensive.

I really want to get a set up for camping/survival. But lack the funds for the better gear out there(or what would appear to be the better gear based on price ).

My specs: 6'1" 275( you'd never guess I was more than 220)

My quandary is this... I leave on Friday for a 3day trip and I have no tent o hammock.

Help... I can't afford much at all and cant make heads or tails of all the terminology.

Looking for some mentors to point me in the right direction.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    If you leave on Friday, your choices are limited - borrow equipment from someone or find what you can locally. A DIY tablecloth hammock is a possibility, perhaps with an inexpensive tarp. Your local options would probably be an ENO, Hennessy, Byers or Grand Trunk hammock, but it depends on your budget.

A bit of advice from experience - putting equipment together quickly may mean you don't have the best weekend if you don't have time to try it out.

Perhaps you can find some hanger locally to help you out?

Quote Originally Posted by donig View Post
    If you leave on Friday, your choices are limited - borrow equipment from someone or find what you can locally. A DIY tablecloth hammock is a possibility, perhaps with an inexpensive tarp. Your local options would probably be an ENO, Hennessy, Byers or Grand Trunk hammock, but it depends on your budget.

A bit of advice from experience - putting equipment together quickly may mean you don't have the best weekend if you don't have time to try it out.

Perhaps you can find some hanger locally to help you out?
    Under 100$ if possible. I have credit through amazon and Walmart and 80 in cash. That's it.

I was looking at the gt ul or similar but kinda Leary of mosquitoes.

I'd offer up a trade on the bst forum but no enough posts yet.

Hammock
    Gathered end single
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Are you going solo on the trip? I suspect buddies would share a tent with you....
    Also things to consider, where are you camping, So what temp ranges are you looking at?

Else check out a local stores for a quick DIY set up?
    Nylon fabric 4 yards(little more than 11 feet), whip the ends.
    Straps from the hardware store(not Nylon, something like they use for ratchet straps)
    Bug net it up with wally world sheer curtains
    Your sleeping bag
    Shiny sun shade for a pad.

Quote Originally Posted by TessdeTerrible View Post
    Are you going solo on the trip? I suspect buddies would share a tent with you....
    Also things to consider, where are you camping, So what temp ranges are you looking at?

Else check out a local stores for a quick DIY set up?
    Nylon fabric 4 yards(little more than 11 feet), whip the ends.
    Straps from the hardware store(not Nylon, something like they use for ratchet straps)
    Bug net it up with wally world sheer curtains
    Your sleeping bag
    Shiny sun shade for a pad.
    I will eventually do a diy. But the only place local selling rip stop is charging 7 a yard.

Long story short I emailed Dominic from infinity outfitters and ended up buying two of their excursion doubles. There 60x132 with 6 foot woopie slings included. 54 shipped two my door by Wednesday. Seemed like a good offer. I have a tarp already. Next I'll b procuring skeeter defeater. Aka netting.

Any suggestions? Has anyone used the infinity outfitter hammocks?

I'll be going with a group. We'll be camping at around 7k feet. Weather supposed to be 85h/55l

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Grand Trunk nano 7 may be worth the extra $ if you like "GT" and need to pick up something locally fast. The S hooks from the GT UL you will end up just throwing out. At least the nano actually IS ultra light and packs small if you are a backpacker.
    Read reviews at outdoor gear lab and many other review sites including Hammock Forums. Most hammocks in my opinion are not a good deal, within a year or two they will just be junk on a self or sold at half price. A quick bugnet is nylon netting "no-sew-um" from local fabric shop soaked or sprayed in Permethrin and thrown over ridgeline and pined below with safety pins and or clothes pins or just pebbles sewn in to weight it down. A Fronkey DIY bugnet if you have more time is obviously better. Google it.

Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    Grand Trunk nano 7 may be worth the extra $ if you like "GT" and need to pick up something locally fast. The S hooks from the GT UL you will end up just throwing out. At least the nano actually IS ultra light and packs small if you are a backpacker.
    Read reviews at outdoor gear lab and many other review sites including Hammock Forums. Most hammocks in my opinion are not a good deal, within a year or two they will just be junk on a self or sold at half price. A quick bugnet is nylon netting "no-sew-um" from local fabric shop soaked or sprayed in Permethrin and thrown over ridgeline and pined below with safety pins and or clothes pins or just pebbles sewn in to weight it down. A Fronkey DIY bugnet if you have more time is obviously better. Google it.
    Hey thanks for the tip. I bought two from infinity outfitters. For a good price. Well made and affordable.

Thought about getting the coghlan bug net an hanging it from a pcord or mason line ridgeline and maybe adding some shock cord like the fronky.

Hammock
    ENO DN+Walmart Equip
    Tarp
    DryFly Yukon Noah
    Insulation
    SB pad Jarbridg
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, Woopie
    Images
    bring both and hang differentiated (bottom one loose), you then stuff small blanket or cloth in between, without underquilt, this is good enough for summer night.

Quote Originally Posted by 99Star View Post
    bring both and hang differentiated (bottom one loose), you then stuff small blanket or cloth in between, without underquilt, this is good enough for summer night.
    Good idea. But the other hammock will be in use. Brother volunteered to give it a try on the camp out.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    An easy test hammock is a bed sheet. Sure they are cotton (or linen) mostly but one shouldn't be getting their hammock wet anyway. Get some poly webbing and a poly tarp from walmart/harbor freight, etc... Some ccf and a sleeping bag (or blanket) and you are good to go. Best thing about hammocks is even the el cheapo solutions are still better than most of the expensive ground solutions.

edit: I see that you have a hammock now. I used a traveler hammock (the precursor to GT) for a few years. Worked great. Sure I have newer stuff now but I would not hesitate to use my old set up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast