Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema

FL> Hidden Pond ONF> No Underquilt Hang> 7/18-20

My DIY rig in porch mode.

C+1 sleeping it in. All DIY rig.

Tom in another one of my DIY setups.
    It's been raining hard all week. We did not get a drop all weekend. We were hoping for some rain just to cool things down. Ill post some more later.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Nice pics! Keep 'em coming folks.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    It was very nice to meet everybody at this hang. FL really has some great folks! Special thanks to FLRider and Floridahanger for their help in site selection and setting up my new rig.

Hammock
    12' Dutchware Gathered
    Tarp
    12' Dutch's Bonded
    Insulation
    W Logics UQ 40F
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I hiked in most of the way and crawled the rest from Juniper Springs, boy was that a hot one! Thanks to Floridahanger and Firefly for looking after the old man!! Otherwise the trip had many rewards just to name a couple was meeting up with old friends and several new ones. As well as seeing my largest black bear ever, FH and FF can verify it was BIG!!!
    As usual, looking forward to the next trip.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Holy cow! What is that spider that looks like it should be in the movie Jurassic Park? If you ever want to hear a grown man scream like a 7 year old girl, have one of those things crawling across my bug net.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude918 View Post
    Holy cow! What is that spider that looks like it should be in the movie Jurassic Park? If you ever want to hear a grown man scream like a 7 year old girl, have one of those things crawling across my bug net.
    That is your friendly neighborhood "black and yellow garden spider," inspiration of many pairs of peed pants.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    I got there at one and managed to miss a turn (or add a turn more correctly) and missed the Pond the first time in. after fumbling around for several hours, I came back out and started over. Met Great White on the way out.
    Drove around and bought some (gallons) of water, just to be sure. It was very dry. And saw Ricky driving in as I left. A tree had fallen down completely across the road between my arrival and then. I couldn't pull it aside by hand and so had to drive a long detour.
    Started back in at about 6:30. No phone since the battery went stone dead trying to use the GPS. Got to the pond at last light. LilRicky and Florida Hiker came out to meet me.

Saturday I stayed at the Pond. In the afternoon, Great White spotted an unusual event.

A beetle larva (as big as two joints of a finger) was crawling along minding his own business, when a wasp discovered it and stung it. The wasp then dug a whole and buried the larva, fighting off invading ants as it dove into the sand like it was water. It would stay underground for many minutes at a time. The larva slowly disappeared into the sand. I saw on TV once that those wasps will lay an egg in the larva and the pupa will hatch and feed n the larva until ready to hatch. Thanks to Great White for catching this bit of science and alerting me.

I finished out the day with several soaks in the pond and a few beauty naps. (good luck on that)

It was almost painful to watch LilRIcky leave as I went to bed. I heard him return just before daybreak with Flrider. All nighters are a thing of my past , I'll tell you.

My hammock with no underquilt and a 60 (50??) degree bag as a top quilt made for pleasant sleeping in the heat. I wore nothing to bed but socks. I barely needed a cover until towards morning.
    My Fronkey style bug net worked perfectly, no mosquito problems in the hammock at all.

I gotta say that the Florida hangers are a good group to spend a few days with. It's a pleasure knowing you all.
    Last edited by Grinder; 07-21-2014 at 11:46.
    grinder

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I was laying in my hammock Saturday night with my headlamp on reading my Kindle, and I had a bit of a scare. My hammock was a ways off from everybody else's, and as you can see in the pics somebody (not our group) had arranged a bunch of leaves in a circular, almost ritualistic pattern. I started hearing a bunch of noises, and got freaked out, certain that some cult was coming to sacrifice me to Molech. I repeatedly used my headlamp to look around in all directions, but never saw anything. After getting more and more scared, I finally realized it was the sound of ~1,000,000 bugs attracted by my headlamp, who were flying at full speed into my tarp. It being cuben, it was making some rather unfamiliar noises. Mystery solved and I slept like a baby.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Wow! That burying of the larva is one of the best wildlife stories I've heard!
    And what can you say about lilricky: give that man a medal!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Sounds like fun. Sounds and looks like mother nature was putting on a show this weekend.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast