SLD TR, BIAS HL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ, AHE
    Suspension
    DW Whoopies/Straps

TQ down and UQ synthetic

I guess this question could go in either quilt section but here it is. Does anyone use a synthetic UQ such as a AHE Jarbidge and a down TQ such as a HG Burrow 40 in their kit? I just got to thinking and you know what that leads to. Im pretty sure I will go with the HG TQ. But just thought I'd see what you guys use and maybe why. Thanks!!

Hammock
    Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies
    I don't do that setup but it sounds like a good plan though.
    I was kind of scared about getting my down UQ wet before I purchased it and thought about the underquilt protector from 2qzq.
    Still haven't purchased the protector or gotten my quilt wet despite hanging in the rain a few times.
    But having the Synthetic UQ would eliminate much of the worry and save a few bucks...still wouldn't want to get it wet, but you get what I mean.
    cant really go wrong IMO.
    my 2 cents.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvertip47203 View Post
    I guess this question could go in either quilt section but here it is. Does anyone use a synthetic UQ such as a AHE Jarbidge and a down TQ such as a HG Burrow 40 in their kit? I just got to thinking and you know what that leads to. Im pretty sure I will go with the HG TQ. But just thought I'd see what you guys use and maybe why. Thanks!!
    SilverTip:

I have a 0* Burrow and 0* Incubator which I use all 4 seasons here in New England. I also have a 25* New River UQ from AHE and a 25* Owyhee TQ, both of which are synthetic. I got the second set of quilts as spare's and in hopes that my wife will go hanging with me this summer. You can't go wrong with the synthetic gear. It will keep you warm even when wet. The same can't be said for wet down.

I have used my Hammock Gear quilts in all 4 seasons and I do use a UQP form 2QZQ as well as a sock from WB sometimes. My down has never gotten soaked, just soggy a few times.

I don't think you can go wrong with the combo that you described. You also couldn't go wrong going all down or all synthetic so long as, (if you go the down route), you pay particular attention to keeping your gear as dry as possible.

I know this doesn't help, but it does let you know you can't go wrong either way. Maybe that's worth something.

All the best.
    G
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    SLD TR, BIAS HL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ, AHE
    Suspension
    DW Whoopies/Straps
    Thanks adkrella, thats what I was thinking. Dont 'want' to get it wet but...I'd also like everything to pack down as small as possible. I'd also like to not purchase more than whats really needed in terms of protectors. If I do go with AHE I think I saw a tyvek DIY protector somewhere I could whip out on the cheap. I'd like to see the difference between the HG Phoenix 40 UQ and the Jarbidge UQ in their stuff sacks. Oh decisions. Bak to the websites.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark XL.
    Insulation
    Z-Liner UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    I just did the same thing today. Ordered the synthetic Clark Z liner under quilt and UGQ 20 degree down Flight Jacket top quilts for this exact reason. I figure there is a real possibility of the under quilt getting wet and I would hate to ruin a beautiful piece of expensive equipment, or ruin a great trip to the woods. Time will tell but I agree, in theory, it seems like a sensible decision. I'll let you know how it works out when I have a chance to test the stuff out.

Hammock
    SLD TR, BIAS HL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ, AHE
    Suspension
    DW Whoopies/Straps
    Thanks SemperFiGuy, that does help. But Im not buying a spare set of quilts no matter how hard you try and talk me into it. Ha! Well at least not now anyway. I guess its win-win across the board. Would really like to compare the two compressed.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Lot's of the "dry down" being used now as well.

Hammock
    SLD TR, BIAS HL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ, AHE
    Suspension
    DW Whoopies/Straps
    rocketguy47, please do let us know. I dont think I can wait much longer to order.

Hammock
    SLD TR, BIAS HL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ, AHE
    Suspension
    DW Whoopies/Straps
    Is that the down that has been treated with a water repellant of some sort?

Hammock
    Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvertip47203 View Post
    Thanks adkrella, thats what I was thinking. Dont 'want' to get it wet but...I'd also like everything to pack down as small as possible. I'd also like to not purchase more than whats really needed in terms of protectors. If I do go with AHE I think I saw a tyvek DIY protector somewhere I could whip out on the cheap. I'd like to see the difference between the HG Phoenix 40 UQ and the Jarbidge UQ in their stuff sacks. Oh decisions. Bak to the websites.
    No prob man.
    like I said it's just my opinion though....lots of those around.
    It is a bit bigger...(theres a few photos floating around of the comparison.)
    The price difference alone makes me wonder about my decision sometimes...but HG stuff is really awesome.
    I read of folks not using the compression sack technique for their quilts and just stuffing the quilts in a trash compactor back directly into their backpacks and just packing in top of them and it makes up for the larger size....
    i do this with my down quilts and it works well.
    A compression sack makes empty "gaps" in your pack.
    I don't really need to do that as I have a pretty huge pack I need to upgrade ....just wanted to try it out.

Then again if you have the extra space in your pack......it wouldn't matter anyway.

edit.: here's a thread with a photo on page two....not the one I was thinking of but....
    Last edited by ADKrella; 07-21-2014 at 21:30.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast