AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

Ridge line length?

Ok guys one more nob question. Well one more for tonight. My sons ultralight Grand Trunk should be here tomorow afternoon. Yesterday I stopes at OWF and picked up some no seeum fabbric, 30' webbing, 4 welded tri-rings a zipper and some cord to make an enclosed bugnet ala BB. I am planning to stitch the no seeum on to the edge of the fabric make a slit in the side to add the zipper. The question I have is how long to tie the ridge line at? I have read and searched through lots of posts and have read to use something like 0.83 of the hammock lenght as a starting point. But it seams like I also read somthing about a precentage of the users hight. The hammock is 9'6" long according to Grand Trunks site. Any guidance would help a lot. I am hoping to get most of these mods done by Satuday or so. I am planning to take him up to the Sawtooth's early next week for a few days pack trip.

Thanks
    Paul

Images
    i'd just hang it with different sag amounts until it feels right and then measure the distance. or you could rig an adjustable one, say fixed on one end and then just adjust with a knot on the other

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Ok guys one more nob question. Well one more for tonight. My sons ultralight Grand Trunk should be here tomorow afternoon.
    Hi
    Where did you get it from? It's not listed on their website.
    cheers
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i'd just hang it with different sag amounts until it feels right and then measure the distance. or you could rig an adjustable one, say fixed on one end and then just adjust with a knot on the other
    An adjustable ridgeline is a perfect job for a Whoopie Sling. I agree, though. I wouldn't worry about a particular length or range, but focus on what feels right for the hammock.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    the HH site offers comparisons of their various models. The overall fabic length is listed as well as the ridgeline lingth. That might provide some starting guidance. But again to agree with others... It's what feels good to you that counts.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by gunn parker View Post
    Hi
    Where did you get it from? It's not listed on their website.
    cheers
    Gunn I actualy orged it from Amazon, they have the blue on on sale in stock with 2 day shipping for $17.98 But here is the Link to all the info on the Grand Trunk - Travel hammock website. http://www.thetravelhammock.com/products/ultralight.htm Hope that helps.

Thanks for the responses guys, I guess the next question is will a RL that feels good for me work good for him? At 5 years old and about 60 pounds I do not want him to be uncomfortable for a night or two in the woods. Exspecialy where this will be my first nights in my BB. I want to get that great nights sleep for both of us and not spend half the night listening to winning and complaining about anything. I will definaly hang it up inside on my test hooks to try out the lay of it and make sure he feels good, but critical feedback from a five year old might be a bit lacking on tremendous insight. Secondly my wife is still a fair bit scaptical on the hole hammock thing in the first place, she thinks I am going to screw up his back or something like that. It dose not help that she bought me a Black Diamond First Light tent just a couple years ago that has only seen a couple of trips and now I am replacing it with "new gear"

Thanks all for your help

Paul

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    I'll take that first light tent off your hands. I still go some places that hammocks can't.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by JTCreative View Post
    I'll take that first light tent off your hands.

No Serriusly

I realy like my new BB buuuttt.... I don't think I will ever part with my lighthouse. It is a great tent that I wanted for years befor my wife finaly had the money to supprise me with it for christmas. Plus with my oldest and I hanging now I still need a spot for my younger son, wife and starting late October - early November I will need room to put my little girl. Thanks for the offer though.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I Start with a ridgeline that when tied in place is almost as long as the hammock is. I then shorten it over time to the comfortable sag I like. Remember, the material of the hammock will stretch some, & you may need to re-adjust several times, at least at first. To say: "Oh, the 9' 6' hammock takes a 8' 6" ridgeline" would maybe be comfortable for me, but not work at all for anyone else. My hiking partner has a much shorter (percentage wise) ridgeline than mine, I can sleep in it, but not very well, we adjusted the ridgeline about 7" longer, & I was comfortable, his response was "EWWW, you Like this??"
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    Thought I'd offer. I've spent enough nights above the tree line out here to appreciate a good tent, especially from Black Diamond. Their head quarters is about 10 miles from here. I was just in there the other day looking at some of their newer gear in the showroom. Really if you now you're going to be grounded, they are great gear to carry.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast