Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by egrant5329 View Post
    It weighs in at ~23 oz and works great. I don't think you can get a full hammock setup with bug net and decent coverage tarp for less weight or less bulk.
    A DH Darien UL and a cuben fiber tarp will easily get you under that weight.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    Unless it's below freezing I use a hammock quilt when I hike. I could also spend a small fortune and get a CF lunar solo or make it.
    Ed

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Going light in a large comfortable hammock, oxymoron?

Excellent analysis by DanglingModifier and SwinginIt and others. I would agree that it does not reflect well on the "hammock camping community" (whatever that is) when someone states that hammock gear is lighter than tent gear. This is generally not true.
    If a person is well under 200 lbs, fairly young (i.e. not overly comfort oriented), camping in moderate temperatures, can afford top dollar gear from "cottage vendors", it IS possible to go ultra light. But this is not exactly "typical".
    I like the hammock gear you selected it sounds very well suited for your needs except for the fact that it is a little heavy. I own some very similar gear, it is super comfortable.
    However, a 6 oz UL super thin, short hammock would probably not suit you well. Sewing in your own super light weight no-see-um bugnet is NOT recommended. Using a minimal summer weight goose down UQ and TQ with multiple layers of clothes and a hot water bottle in your crotch also not advisable. What you have is better, just some minor adjustments like what DanglingModifier mentioned. I think he said it but the insulation of the sleeping bag crushed below a person is mostly wasted, thus a UQ hanging below is more efficient, at least in theory, hence the principle of the separate TQ, a bit of weight savings there. I am not slamming sleeping bags, they can be very useful. I own a 0*F TNF synthetic Sleep Bag which I occasionally use for car camping and canoe camping, but it is extremely bulky, not well suited for backpacking, works OK in a hammock or on the ground.

Probably some better articles but here is one, Derek writes great stuff:
    http://theultimatehang.com/2013/02/l...mmock-camping/

Edit: From over 2 yrs ago weight of tent versus hammock (Grand Trunk Nano 7 oz would be better comparison if for relatively light people, also very thin dyneema cord, and very minimal webbing)
    But then if you compare super hi-tech bivy, or cuben tarp (ECHO from Hyperlite Mountain Gear) and 3/4 Klymit pad, I was not impressed with this article, this is a very dynamic topic.
    http://theultimatehang.com/2012/04/t...er-than-tents/
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 07-22-2014 at 20:29. Reason: edit tent vs hammock light?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    UQ- Winter Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Straps & Dutchware

Lightweight ground dweller moving over to hammocks...

If I may put this out there, I am currently at 7 lbs, 6oz's for my pack weight. This excludes water and food. I went on an overnight on the Fiery Gizzard in Tennessee last night and weighed in at 9.6 lbs with food and water.
    I carried a WBBB hammock and UQ (0*), HG tarp and TQ(30*), Sawyer Mini, pillow ( from Academy Sports), Lite Trail stove, Black Diamond headlamp, first aid kit, and small misc items, which I carry in a ZPack backpack. One can be ultralight, or even super ultralight if they do their gear correctly.
    Last edited by Storytellertn; 08-15-2014 at 23:01. Reason: added pics
    StoryTellerTN

Life is always better when your "hanging" out with friends.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Something else not mentioned is the quality of sleep. I am also a big guy 6ft2 and 275 ( was close to 300 when I got my BB four years ago). Since changing over to hammocks the wife and I have slept in a tent once. We both agreed the hammocks were far more comfortable. Yes my set up may weigh a bit more than a super light tent but sleeping in the hammock is a lot more comfortable.

My set up on the AT in 2012.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    Just curious, but what UQ and TQ are you using?

I have spent a night in a DL 1.1 WBBB, which is my favorite of any non-bridge that I have tried and I have only tried a few. I was cold, but only because I hadn't figured out the UQ adjustment. The UQ was a jarbridge and was way bulkier than I would want. Fortunately the setup wasn't mine. The grand trunk UL was the absolute worst I have been in. Being a stomach sleeper as my preferred position, the last bridge that I made is the best I have slept in, but the spreader bars make it too bulky for section hiking. I stay in shelters if they are available and only carry a tent/hammock setup incase they are full.

With a total weight of 9.6 lbs, you can't be carrying much food, water or anything else since a liter of water weighs 2.2 lbs and your base wt was 7.6 lbs. Unless there is a bunch of water around, I don't hike much of anywhere without at least 2 liters. I use a sawyer mini, but I much prefer a setup that I cobbled together that allows me to grab 4 liters of water, hang it from a tree and it uses a sawyer filter. Most of the water sources aren't necessarily close to the shelters on the trail and I can grab once, refill my bottles, cook dinner, clean me and the dishes up, etc... Lot's of ways to skin a cat!
    Ed
    Ed

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    UQ- Winter Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Straps & Dutchware
    Just curious, but what UQ and TQ are you using?

I have spent a night in a DL 1.1 WBBB, which is my favorite of any non-bridge that I have tried and I have only tried a few. I was cold, but only because I hadn't figured out the UQ adjustment. The UQ was a jarbridge and was way bulkier than I would want. Fortunately the setup wasn't mine. The grand trunk UL was the absolute worst I have been in. Being a stomach sleeper as my preferred position, the last bridge that I made is the best I have slept in, but the spreader bars make it too bulky for section hiking. I stay in shelters if they are available and only carry a tent/hammock setup incase they are full.

With a total weight of 9.6 lbs, you can't be carrying much food, water or anything else since a liter of water weighs 2.2 lbs and your base wt was 7.6 lbs. Unless there is a bunch of water around, I don't hike much of anywhere without at least 2 liters. I use a sawyer mini, but I much prefer a setup that I cobbled together that allows me to grab 4 liters of water, hang it from a tree and it uses a sawyer filter. Most of the water sources aren't necessarily close to the shelters on the trail and I can grab once, refill my bottles, cook dinner, clean me and the dishes up, etc... Lot's of ways to skin a cat!
    Ed
    I have a Hammock Gear 30* top quilt, and a 0* Warbonnet Yeti under quilt short. I carried 16 oz water bottle only because I new the water sources. I normally carry a 32 oz smart water bottle. I dehydrate my own food, which keeps me light. I use oatmeal for breakfast, and things like tuna for dinner. My camp stove is only 5 oz with esbit tabs. I usually take approximately 1 lb of food for each day. I found this worked well for me. So far, I have only spent 5 days out at a time. I would plan for more food if I were doing longer hikes.
    Pm me an email and I will gladly send you my gear list.
    StoryTellerTN

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    UQ- Winter Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Straps & Dutchware
    Ed, to add a note, I'll be honest, I've spent more money on gear than my wife would care to hear about. Lol
    StoryTellerTN

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    I dehydrate too and have often thought there should be a recipes subgroup.

I have played with a bunch of alcohol stoves and don't much care for Esbit (hard to beat for space though), but always return to isobutane fuel. Fast, easy, on/off and my burner fits in the curve of the bottom of my canister.

Thanks
    Ed
    Ed

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    UQ- Winter Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Straps & Dutchware
    I dehydrate too and have often thought there should be a recipes subgroup.

I have played with a bunch of alcohol stoves and don't much care for Esbit (hard to beat for space though), but always return to isobutane fuel. Fast, easy, on/off and my burner fits in the curve of the bottom of my canister.

Thanks
    Ed
    I admit, I miss the cooking time of my Jetboil Soul, but the weight difference is well worth the Esbits. I use 1 1/2 oz Esbit and a 4 gram Esbit for almost 32 oz of water. When I'm with my boys, I usually go with the weight penalty of the JetBoil.
    StoryTellerTN

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12