Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Underquilt/peapod ideas/suggestions!

Hey guys been planning a bow hunting/camping trip with some guys in Ohio in November and I want to bring the hammock to sleep in however I have no underquilt. I do have a sleeping pad but feel like it would be uncomfortable and don't want to deal with the shifting problems plus I don't think it would keep me warm enough. I have been looking at the prices and they are a bit rich for my blood and came across this peapod style one here http://www.overstock.com/#/6580812/product.html . I was wondering if it were worth the money or if you all had any other suggestions. My friend did the trip last year and said it normally gets down into the 40s at night but he's seen it as low as 28 degrees. Let me know what you all think! Thanks!

Kyle

I just realized there was an underquilt category in the forum. For this mistake I apologize.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Shug has a video on using a bag like this. He found it adequate (warm), but tight. He later found found a zip in piece that made it wider.
    Here's the 1st part: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Minnesota-Eve
    There were follow-on's.

For the those temps/weather (same weather we see here), you might look into spending $100 on a Jarbridge UQ and $35 on a 2QZQ UQP. Use with your sleeping bag and a fleece blanket and you are set. This set-up would be good for spring/fall, summer and early winter.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    Shug has a video on using a bag like this. He found it adequate (warm), but tight. He later found found a zip in piece that made it wider.

For the those temps/weather (same weather we see here), you might look into spending $100 on a Jarbridge UQ and $35 on a 2QZQ UQP. Use with your sleeping bag and a fleece blanket and you are set.
    As far as the Jarbridge are you talking about the 3 season one for $100? And why do you suggest the uqp?

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Yes, the 3 season. The UQP keeps the wind from robing the hear out of the UQ. There are good reviews for both these on HF.
    You can probably do without a UQP if you have a winter tarp with doors to block wind.
    If you do decide on getting an UQP, I recommend getting the bridge option for an extra $3. It gives you 4 sets of small tie-outs that allow you to add string and close the UQP up at the top - making it almost a pod/sock.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    Yes, the 3 season. The UQP keeps the wind from robing the hear out of the UQ. There are good reviews for both these on HF.
    You can probably do without a UQP if you have a winter tarp with doors to block wind.
    If you do decide on getting an UQP, I recommend getting the bridge option for an extra $3. It gives you 4 sets of small tie-outs that allow you to add string and close the UQP up at the top - making it almost a pod/sock.
    Ok, thank you for the help. Any reasons you're against the grand trunk pod style bag? I like that it just slides over the hammock and is easy to setup as opposed to setting up the underquilt and the uqp.

Images
    I've heard only bad things about grand trunks hammock bag. 28* isn't that bad, easy to keep warm in a hammock. You should be fine using whatever bag you've got. Here's a link to Shug's videos to help out....

https://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery/playlists
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...752777861C2AA8

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    if it's easy set-up you're after, its hard to beat one of these with integrated insulation. I'm working on having a rental program too for people to try them out; should be up and running by November... plus, I'm local
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Don't get the Grand Trunk sleeping bag - it does not let you sleep on the diagonal and will be uncomfortable.

For cheap you could get by with a ccf sleeping pad, and a no-sewponcho liner under quilt. That combination would probably get you to at least 20*F. The pad isn't that uncomfortable (some people prefer them), and the shifting issue, unless you move a lot in your sleep, isn't much of a problem. It is more difficult to get into the hammock, and get it positioned, however. This set up would cost you, maybe, $30.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Don't get the Grand Trunk sleeping bag - it does not let you sleep on the diagonal and will be uncomfortable.

For cheap you could get by with a ccf sleeping pad, and a no-sewponcho liner under quilt. That combination would probably get you to at least 20*F. The pad isn't that uncomfortable (some people prefer them), and the shifting issue, unless you move a lot in your sleep, isn't much of a problem. It is more difficult to get into the hammock, and get it positioned, however. This set up would cost you, maybe, $30.
    I have a 1" self inflating pad and I'm in the process of trying to find a SPE for it and if it's a little colder I'll double up and put a thin piece of CCF under the pad. I watched Shugs videos and that setup seems pretty nice. I'm a little confused on the poncho liner UQs... What temps can you take them down to?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast