Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Rap Rings

Anyone "nest" a 2nd hammock to hold an UQ or pad?

I've searched the forums and was surprised I didn't come across any references to "nesting" two hammocks together. I've rigged this set up in my basement (and one overnight with my son's Scout troop), but before I make my own modifications to my own design, I was hoping to see what others have done.

I have a HH Explorer Deluxe bottom entry. Under that I hung a cheap Yukon (like the $20 one on Woot.com yesterday) static cord at the head end and using heavy bungie cord at the foot. I put a down comforter in between the two hammocks. I like having the sides of my HH staked out so I used tarp clamps on the edge of the Yukon and tie out points on the HH and used the standard HH tie outs through the HH tarp tie out points and down to the ground.

Drawbacks:
    • The down comforter has a LOT of extra that just got stuffed into the head and foot
    • The comforter I have is heavy as it has a fleece side to it
    • Not water proof (or even resistant)

What I like:
    • The bungie at the foot lets you get in and out of the bottom entry with some finagling
    • Toasty (but I've only been down to about 35*)

Thoughts? Sources for inexpensive down comforter (this item from the Company Store clearance section is tempting: $8 quilt)?

Thanks.

Hammock
    Hennessy Epd deluxe
    Tarp
    Equinox 10 x 12
    That's sounds really interesting do you have pics. I think I might try something like this untill I can she'll out the money for a jrb setup

Hammock
    DIY 10' Hexon gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    I used to do that before I made myself a couple UQs. I used an old down sleeping bag and made a small hammock of sorts that had channels on all 4 sides, which I ran shock cord through, then opened up the sleeping bag and clipped it all the way around the edges. It was slightly cumbersome but did the job.

I have found two down sleeping bags and one down comforter at the salvation army. I cut the comforter up and used the down to make an UQ.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    With something down filled I'd be concerned about compression and hence a decrease in loft and warmth. With a pad I wonder if the second hammock would be tight enought to keep the pad in place. I could be totally wrong but that's what my first thoughts are. A second hammock could be useful as an underquilt protector.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff60523 View Post
    I've searched the forums and was surprised I didn't come across any references to "nesting" two hammocks together. I've rigged this set up in my basement (and one overnight with my son's Scout troop), but before I make my own modifications to my own design, I was hoping to see what others have done.
    I am doing something similar (playing with it). Its based on the "Super Shelter" that Hennesey offers. Instead of making a DIY Double Layer, I made a Single layer with a home made SUpershelter. I clip it to the hammock itself and can use a pad or a quilt for insulation.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff60523 View Post

I have a HH Explorer Deluxe bottom entry. Under that I hung a cheap Yukon (like the $20 one on Woot.com yesterday) static cord at the head end and using heavy bungie cord at the foot. I put a down comforter in between the two hammocks. I like having the sides of my HH staked out so I used tarp clamps on the edge of the Yukon and tie out points on the HH and used the standard HH tie outs through the HH tarp tie out points and down to the ground.

Drawbacks:
    • The down comforter has a LOT of extra that just got stuffed into the head and foot
    • The comforter I have is heavy as it has a fleece side to it
    • Not water proof (or even resistant)

What I like:
    • The bungie at the foot lets you get in and out of the bottom entry with some finagling
    • Toasty (but I've only been down to about 35*)

Thoughts? Sources for inexpensive down comforter (this item from the Company Store clearance section is tempting: $8 quilt)?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    I am doing something similar (playing with it). Its based on the "Super Shelter" that Hennesey offers. Instead of making a DIY Double Layer, I made a Single layer with a home made SUpershelter. I clip it to the hammock itself and can use a pad or a quilt for insulation.
    For sure it has been done. This theory is the basis for variations on the same theme such as a Garlington Insulator and the HH Super Shelter.

Hammock
    ENO DN+Walmart Equip
    Tarp
    DryFly Yukon Noah
    Insulation
    SB pad Jarbridg
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, Woopie
    Images
    Since UQ is big item to be cross out on the wishing list, that's what I've been doing when not in pea pod mode.
    2nd cheapo under can be loaner at day, double as main hammock protector at night, I just stuff a small down blanket and any extra clothes (half inflated pad too if I bring it), the trick is set it loose enough so it won't compress too much.

I'm making some videos of how I do that - it's quick to set up, warm, comfy, cheap, and I use it with a variety of different insulating layers depending upon temperature. The down side is weight/bulk. When used with sleeping bags, there tends to be a lot of extra and unused material, zippers, etc., plus the weight of the second hammock and suspension. For car camping and sleeping in the back yard, it's a great way to use my old tent and bivy sleeping bags. I typically use 2 unzipped mummy bags - one as UQ, and one as top insulation. Set up your main hammock, then add a second hammock directly below it, just a bit lower, so that the sleeping bag UQ doesn't get compressed. With most of my mummy bags, unzipped, the top goes well above my head and completely surrounds my shoulders. The 2 outside edges even wrap around into the main upper hammock - I like using that as a bit of extra comfortable pillow material. The bottom of the UQ bags extends all the way down near my knees. I use a second open bag as over quilt. All the mummy bags I use open only enough to leave a bit of an enclosed foot box which closes right around where the UQ bag ends, so there are no cold spots.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Rap Rings
    I'll look forward to seeing that video!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I use something similar with my fulltimer. The under layer is a tablecloth hammock with a polyester batting layer attached to the tablecloth. It is only used inside and not something I would want to carry on the trail. Works great indoors to keep the backside warm.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts