Tarp
    WB SuperFly/Ogee
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

UQ- 'Down' from duvet sufficient?

Hi everyone,

I have tried to search the forums for an answer and I have had no luck, I am sorry if it is there somewhere and I have missed it.

I have seen a king sized 'down' duvet advertised on eBay and it states the fill is 80% down and 20% feather, would this be sufficient for a winter underquilt down to around 20 degrees (F)? I don't know how easy it would be to separate the down and feathers, and I am not sure if having feathers in an underquilt is a bad idea. I also can't find any information on the fill rating. What do y'all think?

Being in the UK sourcing down is a little tricky and the only source I have found charges £25 per 100g, which is a little steep for what I can afford currently.

All inputs welcomed
    Cheers,
    Tom

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Tom-
    Building a quilt 'from scratch' after 'harvesting' down from a duvet is quite a bit of work (and expense if you are using new fabric for the shell). For me it would make sense to buy high quality down for a project like that, or start with an older good-quality 100% down sleeping bag.
    I don't think you'll be able to separate down & feathers easily - think fractional distillation column, but with moving air instead of hot vapour....
    Have you tried contacting Feather Industries in Toronto?

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Harvesting down can be done, I've done it from pillows myself. But I would try to find something that is 100% down and preferably has a fill rating. If you used 80/20 it would probably be so heavy and bulky that it would not be practical to back pack with and would need some heavy duty shock cord for suspension. A synthetic insulation may be easier for you to source over there.

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    I've done it and like others have said it was hard work. The biggest issue is finding a good quality down filled duvet in the EU that costs less than 25 quid per 100g: really tricky. But all negatives aside I've made some really nice quilts for a pittance

90% down is the lowest I've gone while still getting a good result

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I have removed down from one item and put it in another off and on for many years. When my kids were little I made their winter coats, I removed down from outgrown coats into new jackets. Way back when, it was very difficult to find prepackaged down. Frost Line Kits had it but you needed to buy the kit before you could buy the down.

There are a lot of different grades of down, so you need to have a fair idea of what you are getting. Twenty percent feathers is pretty high, in my opinion.

Also be aware that working with down, it tends to explode when given the chance. It can and frequently makes a major mess, it will clog the motor to your vacuum if you are not careful. I started having breathing problems around my last down exchange (last night), I guess I will wear a mask to finish the task.

I would scrounge for a high quality sleeping bag or jackets, quilts. I like goose down the best but that is just me, plus I live where it is reasonably priced.

Hammock
    DIY 10' Hexon gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    I don't see how it would be possible to separate out feathers. I made a summer UQ out of down from a comforter. The tag said it was a minimum of 75% down. It worked out great and in all honesty, I couldn't tell a huge difference in that down and the expensive 800 fill down that I used for another project. I don't think 20% feathers will add that much weight either, so if you're on a budget (and who isn't?) then I would give it a try. It's a little tricky transferring down from a comforter to a quilt. Scotty Von Porkchop told me before to just move very slowly, and that was the ticket. Like, seriously.....ssssslllllooooowwwww mmmmoooottttiiiioooonnnn. You will make a mess. So, that's just my two cents. I'm sure these guys who have already posted have more experience than me, but it worked out ok for me. Here's a pic of the down and the quilt.

Hammock
    11ft DIY, Gathered End with bug net
    Tarp
    3mx3m with doors
    Insulation
    diy down uq and tq
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    ive made an UQ from an IKEA duvet that was 60% down 40% feathers.
    i can say that the feathers in it were so small as to not make that much difference.
    took an age to make but worked very very well in the end.
    i did the slooooooowwww motion thing for a while until i got bored and just started stuffing it normally.
    yes a lot of mess but then just scoop that up and stuff it in the next channel
    that was my 2nd diy UQ and it is super.

my 1st diy UQ was made with about 80% feather 20% down, used the wrong ripstop too and stuffed in too much feathers.
    its HUGE. but **** it was warm and comfy during last winters hangs. it leaked feathers like a busted pipe due to the wrong material but it worked. and it was heavy.

about to do my 3rd one now that i have my technique sorted and actually have a better clue as to whats going on.
    usually takes me about 10 hours to make one, stuffing by hand too

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    So has anyone tried the vacuum cleaner method of recovering and stuffing down? It seems like it should work really well...

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL Summer/ Winter
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by The_hanging_dog View Post
    ive made an UQ from an IKEA duvet that was 60% down 40% feathers.
    i can say that the feathers in it were so small as to not make that much difference.
    Just today I found a Ikea duvet at Salvation Army for @10.01 and decided that a UQ would be my next project. While the fill is 85/15 i dont mind the extra weight as I dont do much backpacking but more canoe camping and occasionally go below freezing. I calculated the fill at 51oz based on fill weight of 1470 grams per Ikeas website. What plans did you use?
    Last edited by Big Sweets; 07-28-2014 at 21:38.
    Formerly McBlaster
    The Tent is a Lie

Hammock
    DIY 10' Hexon gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    My summer UQ is a rectangle with sewn through channels and for my winter one I used CatSplats DIY differential cut UQ calculator.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast