Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images

Techniques for unstressing no-see-um?

1 What do you do to keep a tie out point from tearing out no-see-um netting? I just relocated a clip point from the netting to a netting-ripstop seam and feel only slightly more confident that the no-see-um won't tear out at the seam. This is a flat area with broad expanses of net above and ripstop below. Maybe sew the tie out to a round patch of fabric then sew that to the no-see-um?

2 What about corners? After sewing in the tie out, I plan to gather the fabric below the tie out with a small zip tie (hoping to spread out the tension). Would strips of grosgrain sewn to the netting edges before stitching the corner prevent tear outs??

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Is there any way of taking the strain off the noseeum entirely, maybe by sewing a grosgrain loop with a D ring on it?

If nothing else can be done about relocating the tie-outs then definitely adding a patch on both sides of the noseuum will help.

The other thing you can do is to put a loop of shock cord inline in the guy-out so that it takes the strain before the noseuum does.

If you've got pics of what it looks like now, maybe there's another suggestion. I'm having a hard time visualling

Images
    Like Old Boot said, I put a patch on both sides of the noseeum.

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    Is there any way of taking the strain off the noseeum entirely, maybe by sewing a grosgrain loop with a D ring on it?

If nothing else can be done about relocating the tie-outs then definitely adding a patch on both sides of the noseuum will help.

The other thing you can do is to put a loop of shock cord inline in the guy-out so that it takes the strain before the noseuum does.

If you've got pics of what it looks like now, maybe there's another suggestion. I'm having a hard time visualling
    I usually like to include a picture or drawing. I dropped the ball. Picture below.
    DSC00899.jpg

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I think the only things you can do is to put a really strong patch (I'd use cordura IIWM) on both sides so that you're stitching strong material to strong material and then make sure to use shock cord on the tie out.

Was this your own design or is it a commercial hammock?

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    I think the only things you can do is to put a really strong patch (I'd use cordura IIWM) on both sides so that you're stitching strong material to strong material and then make sure to use shock cord on the tie out.

Was this your own design or is it a commercial hammock?
    Neither own design or commercial. It's a double layer cousin of that introduced by HikingDad (an inch wider and longer, and different route to the end cap ). The bug net design, I cobbled from what I wanted: light, easy to attach/remove, head to toe headroom of 12" above the spreader bars, no zipper, attaches to a ridgeline between the suspensions rather than attached to the hang point (nee WarBonnet Ridgerunner), capable of an internal ridgeline for hanging gear (light, keys, beer can, bazooka). Not that I don't like to install zippers (I do)--I don't like to install zipper weight.

The single center release buckle seems to do a fine job right at the mid point of the hammock. It holds the no-see-um to the hammock edge. I'll have to watch and see if the current method doesn't induce another rent such as that patched on the top part of the picture above.

Below, a pic of the hammock. The bug net has a "skirt" that can either hang inside or outside the hammock,
    DSC00900.jpg

And the corner where the net attaches to the hammock:
    DSC00902.jpg

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Ahhh, now I see!! The second set of pics give us a clear idea of how it works.

I'd definitely get some very light shock cord in all the suspension points.

With it tucked inside the hammock, you're probably kinda laying on it as you move around sometime through the night and putting tension on it. I don't know if it would work better or worse for mosquito protection but I'd be tempted to only have it hanging outside of the body of the hammock so that you can't put tension on it while you're sleeping.

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    Ahhh, now I see!! The second set of pics give us a clear idea of how it works.

I'd definitely get some very light shock cord in all the suspension points.

With it tucked inside the hammock, you're probably kinda laying on it as you move around sometime through the night and putting tension on it. I don't know if it would work better or worse for mosquito protection but I'd be tempted to only have it hanging outside of the body of the hammock so that you can't put tension on it while you're sleeping.
    Got it. Thanks.

I have considered hanging it outside the body of the hammock and placing shock cord on all the bottom edges, then joining the corners below with the mitten hooks, such that it begins to behave like a Fronkey bug net. I'd likely replace the "skirts" at the ends with ripstop for the durability regardless. The sides have skirts of ripstop already, as one might guess from the first picture in comment #4.

And the corner loops will likely tear out the bug net as I have it here. I shouldn't have been assuming (like a doofus) that no-see-um can handle stress.

Maybe I knew what I had to do. If I knew, I haven't done it enough to do it.

Again, thank you very much for your input. You inspire confidence.

• + New Posts