Hammock
    DH Thunderbird DL 1.8 Blue/Black
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ (Synth)
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Could we change the sites reserved yes/no to a count of sites? I see there is at least one person who will have 2 sites, and then we could get a running count of how many are reserved as well.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberbeastWaco View Post
    Thank You Mike,
    I have it on the calendar
    With all the Texas folks we might need our own logo, say two longhorns standing face to face holding two swingers??
    Mark
    Glad you'll be with us, Mark. Please add yourself to our planning spreadsheet.

As for a logo, we have one that you can see from one of last year's pics here.

10794355034_2d3d7ec13a_c.jpg

Not sure this Aggie could support a longhorn based logo anyway.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

TX State Park site reservations, and more silly stuff

Quote Originally Posted by lanejustin View Post
    Hey, I don't think I have to pay for your first night since you pay for it when you reserve the campsites anyways. I can check when we get there, or someone else can chime in. If needed, that would not be a problem.
    The Texas State Park's reservations system may appear a little counter intuitive but is actually very efficient. Last time I used it (a few years ago, may have changed since): they did not charge your Debit/CC when you reserve a site, only if you didn't show up and failed to cancel etc. So when you or someone with your reservation number and name shows up they can pay with whatever form of payment they prefer (either just first night or both, not for sure) this then pins down your specific site, be sure they mark it on the chart or wall, a new employ has make a mistake and caused me grief in the past.
    If some totally unexpected thing should happen, like an illness I will tell whoever wants a site (assuming there are not a bunch still available) that I am about to cancel and then cancel as well in advance as I know. My 13 year old has been cooking strange stuff but not washing dishes lately so you never know. Also I would prefer to share my site with other people, I am going to invite some friends but the chance of them actually coming is very low. New baby with health issues and another baby on the way, other folks who don't camp much or are just very busy etc. So HF people are the most likely to share that extra parking spot, and the trees of coarse. OH I strongly prefer to car pool (from N-Dallas/Plano) this saves on parking spots, gas, and makes the drive time more interesting. No live chickens or pigs so no concerns about your upholstery, LOL. If I drive I'll just tie your pig or veal calf to the roof rack. Hey this is Texas it should be "cabrito" the kids can herd a bunch of little goats Friday and Saturday morning and then we can feast on them Saturday night. Delicious! Park Ranger and campground host may not approve :-(

A paddle sports group I have camped with for years has a annual state park campout at South Llano SP that is often on the same weekend as the "Women Gone Wild" event and some other groups. We had to reserver sites up to a year in advance and I as a big proponent of just selecting a different weekend but got out voted repeatedly. Never know when two events/groups plan for the same weekend. Hopefully there will be some "Wild Women" in hammocks at our campout, I will invite my sister but doubt she will come, currently she is hanging somewhere along the Amazon while visiting relatives down there.

Edit
    TX SP forms of payment: from personal experience I would suggest that you do not attempt to pay the people at the front office for your site with "cabrito" or live chickens, even Texas BBQ cabrito wrapped in bacon with a jalapeño will probably not interest them. I was a little shocked and almost accused them of being OU alumni but then decided to be nice. I am only joking, I really like OU, have relatives up there, camp up there etc.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 07-28-2014 at 18:52. Reason: Edit: forms of payment

Hammock
    Lite Owl
    Insulation
    Sleepingbag Cocoon
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    I need to reserve a site. Seems like a lot more are counting in for c this year I wouldn't mind sharing my site but I'm already sharing with roughly 11 people. If any one bails I'll mark it on the spreadsheet.
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    --J. R. R. Tolkien

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberbeastWaco View Post
    Thank You Mike,
    I have it on the calendar
    With all the Texas folks we might need our own logo, say two longhorns standing face to face holding two swingers??
    Mark
    *ahem* You may well be a swinger, but the rest of us are hangers.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    The Texas State Park's reservations system may appear a little counter intuitive but is actually very efficient. Last time I used it (a few years ago, may have changed since): they did not charge your Debit/CC when you reserver a site, only if you didn't show up and failed to cancel etc. So when you or someone with your reservation number and name shows up they can pay with whatever form of payment they prefer (either just first night or both, not for sure) this then pins down your specific site, be sure they mark it on the chart or wall, a new employ has make a mistake and caused me grief in the past.
    Agreed, the system is efficient. There have been some changes though since you used them a few years ago. When a reservation is made, the first night payment is made and CC charged. That way when you arrive, at any time, you can be assured of a site, although sites are selected on a first come first served basis and not reserved by number. The system still is a chart on the wall marked with a dry erase marker to designate which site you are in once you have arrived. There is a cancellation policy ranging from $5.00 to the first night rent depending on when cancellation occurs. That can be found on the link in the first post of this thread.

Also I would prefer to share my site with other people, I am going to invite some friends but the chance of them actually coming is very low. ...HF people are the most likely to share that extra parking spot, and the trees of coarse.
    Sharing a site is a great way to get to know fellow hangers. Most folks do that to share in the cost too. That's why we have a column on our planning spreadsheet to indicate who is sharing. A major purpose of that sheet is to make sure everyone has a place to hang.

OH I strongly prefer to car pool (from N-Dallas/Plano) this saves on parking spots, gas, and makes the drive time more interesting. No live chickens or pigs so no concerns about your upholstery, LOL. If I drive I'll just tie your pig or veal calf to the roof rack. Hey this is Texas it should be "cabrito" the kids can herd a bunch of little goats Friday and Saturday morning and then we can feast on them Saturday night. Delicious! Park Ranger and campground host may not approve :-(
    Car pooling is a great idea. Certainly you save gas and parking spaces. If you have a Parks Pass, the day use fee is waived for everyone in the car so there can be some $$ savings there too.

As for live critters and Park Rangers…

Each year I invite Park Rangers to the pot luck and they seem to look forward to it. (They are usually not around during food preparation time so keep your critters quiet until they're in the pot and you could be good.)
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird DL 1.8 Blue/Black
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ (Synth)
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    *ahem* You may well be a swinger, but the rest of us are hangers.
    That's those TU folks for you, always a little weird (I can say that, I live down the road from them)

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Campsites, and possible fishing activities or just rec boating.

Good looking logo on last year's banner. I like it.

I may bring a canoe or kayak for fishing etc so one of those sites by the water (23, 26 best?, 28, 29) would be good but if not I could always just tie a boat to a shrub down there near the water and be real quiet at 5 am when I go to catch lunch. Warm water, power plant lakes can be good for fishing but it is cyclic from year to year, day to day, hour to hour so not reliable like a supermarket. Squirrels are probably a more reliable bet, may take my blow darts. Joking a bit there, don't want to "Winter's Bone" traumatize anyone. My daughters were not impressed with the science lesson of trout hearts still beating when they were in kindergarten, and all the deer hunting, processing etc perhaps this is why they rarely camp with me. They'll eventually grow out of it. Shame more kids cannot grow up with livestock. My wife said any agricultural operation with livestock is a ranch, so I asked was Old McDonald a rancher or a farmer? Even my daughter laughed at her. funny stuff.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 07-28-2014 at 23:52.

I'm in!! (+1 my wifey)

Hammock
    Dangerbird 11' Cobalt / Burgundy.
    Tarp
    Homemade Mega Ogee
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles
    Just remembered to check for the thread. You know we're always in. Count on two for me and Jacob / Throkda

By the way, since I've gone over the stuff that's out there that time of year, and mostly it doesn't change, do we still want me to think about doing the wild foods talk? I did get to go to a class so I picked up how to patter a little bit better.. I dunno, third time's the charm? Of course I'll still bring goodies for folks to sample. Persimmons and persimmon bread, my chocolate chip cookies, and I'll make nopales (cactus paddles) for the potluck. Always amazes me how quickly that gets eaten.

Jacob can bring his knife sharpening kit and be useful around the fire. I know he's got an assortment of games he could bring (Dominoes, Hive, etc).

Also, Hello Fellow Musicians! Anybody want to bring a guitar or harmonica or two and we can sit up late on Saturday around the campfire? Happy to bring my fiddle. Don't worry about what to play, just play.
    Last edited by Kattelyn; 07-29-2014 at 08:47.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast