WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Vermont >?? >mid-September

It looks like I will go State-side for about a week in mid-September, as my gf's friend is getting married. The wedding will take place in Vermont, at a place somewhere near the CA border, on a Saturday (I believe it was the 20th). There's some sort of preparation thing in Burlington too the Wednesday before.

We're considering flying in to either NY or Montreal and rent a car (larger companies seem to allow bringing them across the border), so what I am wondering is what opportunities there are to get a night or three in of hanging (and possibly fishing?). Given that we will have a car, transport should not be a problem, and I'm prepared to drive for a few hours. Any advice from the forum would be most appreciated!

And yes, this is officially gf endorsed! She may even come along! She's already been on two hammock trips with me, for a total of four nights! :-)

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Welcome to the states! I wish I could be there to meet you, but I'm sure you will be able to get a few hangers together. September is a nice time for the weather up there.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    You should be there nearly the perfect time of the year to see the sugar maple trees changing colors. As MAD777 said, the weather should be really nice then. The downside to that is fairly heavy tourist traffic around that time of the year.

Decide if you'd want to be doing some backpacking, or if you'd prefer campground camping with the car. If you prefer the former (you may not have as many choices which include fishing) you could spend a couple days hiking and camping on the famous Long Trail in Vermont, which is the oldest long distance hiking trail in America. If you want more fishing and campground camping, then there are some state parks right on Lake Champlain near Burlington which afford some fishing. Most people fish on the lake with spinning rods for bass, striped perch, bluegill/crappies/sunfish, and northern pike. Stocked trout exist in some places in the lake, but aren't caught as often. More exotic species like bowfin and aligator gar can also be found in some of the shallow reed beds. Lake trout, sturgeon and sea monsters may be found in the deeper water of the lake if you're on a boat. You won't be likely to find anything trout-like that is as large as what you were catching on your recent fishing trip.

Let us know what type of camping you want to do and maybe we can narrow things down a bit more for you.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Sub'Kilo
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Tons of options... The best of which is to fly into Burlington! There are a couple gat state park campgrounds around Stowe (Mt. Mansfield), from where there's greatvdayhiking nearby; the Long Trail is also gorgeous-maybe from Mansfield up to Jay?

Weather ought to be good; bugs absent; and tourists gone.
    Add life to your years!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the pointers! I guess I'm not totally against foregoing bringing my fishing equipment halfway around the world for once, although I've never fished for bass and from what I've read/seen it seems like a pretty fun pastime! A couple of days hiking an especially nice section of a famous trail is certainly a good option, and from a quick search the Long Trail seems to offer beauty in abundance. I guess I have to make my mind up as to what I want (now looking at google maps, I saw some really beautiful pictures of Green River though..).

Ok, let's assume the following for now (suggestions that go outside this framework are still welcome though!):

- a nice section of a trail for e.g. two nights (meaning arriving and hiking a half day; hiking a full day; hiking a half day out and going back) - doubt I could have more time allocated than that;
    - preferably a circle rather than backtracking the same trail out again, if at all possible (just a thing I have..);
    - the less people there are around, the better - meaning it's worth driving an extra hour to get to a less populated/visited (but still nice) place;
    - it would be nice to have a nice campsite at least one of those nights, either from a vantage point or viewing across some water, from which I can have my morning coffee in the hammock just taking it all in.

You're not allowed to just wild camp anywhere, correct? From home I'm used to be able to just string the hammock up most anywhere I please, but I don't want to break any etiquette (or worse any laws)!

And what kind of temperatures could one expect to face around that time (recognising it's fall, so a bit unpredictable)?

Hammock
    Kiri Para II Double
    Tarp
    MEC Silicon Guide
    Insulation
    Mostly Fat
    Suspension
    Web/Marlin/Biner
    Images
    K0m4, here are some things for you to consider:

1. Fly into USA, not into Canada. Although possible, crossing from Canada to USA with a rental car when you are not a Canadian or US citizen is a pain and will cost you time and efforts.

2. Night can quickly get chilly in September, make sure you are prepared for temperatures near freezing overnight.

3. Check out the Vermont State Parks web site, they offer many great camping options. The web site is well made and presents you all the information you need (sites availability, photos, weather, nearby activities such as hiking and fishing). I would personally recommend either Grand Isle or Brighton but Green River Reservoir also meets your criteria if you can afford to rent a canoe.

4. Make sure to buy your Vermont fishing licence here. They have 1 day, 3-day or season permits that are very affordable. The money is well spent and you will save big cash by respecting the law.

5. There are also good fishing opportunities around Burlington: Knight Point, Little River, Lake Carmi and North Hero state parks (bass and pike), Winooski river, Lamoille river, etc.

6. It might be cheaper to buy inexpensive fishing gear locally than trying to bring your own gear. Check Gander Mtn in Plattsburg, NY or Dockside Outdoor Supply in Colchester, VT.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions. I live not too far away and visit the area regularly.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Check out this website http://www.canoeoutfitters.com/, this is all forever wild land in ny, and is free camping, You can rent a canoe from them and see some beautiful country.... Its about 2-3 hours from Burlington. They have different route suggestions, from day trips to week long. You wont regret going.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Canoeing! Hadn't given that a second's tought! Thanks for the websites! These now give me what we in sports is refer to as "pleasant problems" - when you have several players in your squad to choose for any given position! I just got a pic sent from the gf the other day from her over-day kayaking trip where she lives too, so this may be a winning idea.

I've heard a lot about the Adirondacks, so that could be perfect. But just to keep options open, any recommendations for rental services on the Green River? A quick google revealed several, and I'm getting all giddy again in trip planning (-imagination..)!

Thanks also for the practical pointer about the car rental thing. That might change our considerations a bit - we were leaning twd arriving in Montreal.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Fishing from a canoe near Grand Isle is where I encountered most of the fish I described in my post above. I had nearly a five foot long gar and its three foot friend (baby?) swim under my canoe one day in the reed beds in the small bay just south of Sandbar State Park many years ago. I can't vouch for the fishing there now, but it is probably still fun. A canoe is definitely the way to go if you want to fish in Lake Champlain.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    If you end up being interested in the Adirondacks, I really suggest looking at that web sites different rout suggestions, Doesn't cost anything, and there are plenty other places to rent a canoe. Oh and as far as fishing, most of those small ponds have excellent trout fishing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast