Tarp
    MEC Silicon Guide
    Insulation
    Mostly Fat
    Suspension
    Web/Marlin/Biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by K0m4 View Post
    any recommendations for rental services on the Green River? A quick google revealed several...
    I remember there's a canoe/kayak rental shop along the Lamoille River on the way to the park from the West, on top of my head the name's place is Bill's or somebody else's first name. There are several signs and prices are similar everywhere in the area so whatever you choose should be good.

You can also call the park to reserve your spot and ask for recommendations.

FYI, I will be at Green River Reservoir on Sept. 5-8 at campsite #8. Feel free to come and meet if you are there on the same dates.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for all the info. I ran the canoe idea by the better half, and that was a winner for sure! So now we just need to decide where exactly (and whether to bring or rent fishing gear...). Green River is certainly up there because by the looks of it it seems very accessible yet a bit remote. But it'd be really nice to say "I went canoeing and hammocking in the Adirondacks" too, it has a nice ring to it! And the route suggestions on that website are very useful - as cool as it is to go and figure things out on your own, when you have limited time and knowledge it just makes it that much easier. On that note, I like how well-developed online info is about all these places too. The Vermont state parks site is excellent! Makes everythign that much easier to figure out beforehand.

Thanks for the invite PatT - I'd have loved to, but we'll be there about one or two weeks later unfortunately!

Hammock
    Kiri Para II Double
    Tarp
    MEC Silicon Guide
    Insulation
    Mostly Fat
    Suspension
    Web/Marlin/Biner
    Images
    Enjoy your stay!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Ether choice will be a winner !

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks both! A question: read somewhere that bears are an issue in the adirondacks, and that you're required to carry a canister - one that's approved as opposed to the screw-tops that they apparently have learned to open! I've been meaning to get one anyway, but how's the situation generally there and in Vermont?

Hammock
    Kiri Para II Double
    Tarp
    MEC Silicon Guide
    Insulation
    Mostly Fat
    Suspension
    Web/Marlin/Biner
    Images
    After over 30 years of wild camping here and I yet have to see a bear or receive visit at a camp in New England.

For all I know, there are no laws or requirements concerning bear spray other than recommendations. I personally carry a small pressurized air horn made for birthday parties. I buy them from a local dollar store and mainly carry them as a fog horn when boating. It double duties as a bear deterrent for me.

Bear deterrent spray is great to carry if you are worried, but remember you must be within reach to use it. You would have to be pretty imprudent to end up within reach. I would suggest you rather buy a bear bell and stick to good practices at camp such as hanging all food away from your hang site, wash away thoroughly any fish scent, and cook away from camp.

If you are visiting Green River Reservoir, the main pests to worry about are mice, squirrel and crows.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    I have camped in the suggested area many times, I have never heard that if is required to have a bear canister... Never seen one camping ether.... Not to say that it couldn't.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    AHE 3S New River
    Suspension
    Adj. webbing
    Thanks both! A question: read somewhere that bears are an issue in the adirondacks, and that you're required to carry a canister - one that's approved as opposed to the screw-tops that they apparently have learned to open! I've been meaning to get one anyway, but how's the situation generally there and in Vermont?
    "NYSDEC Regulation Requires The Use of Bear Resistant Canisters by Overnight Users in The Eastern High Peaks Wilderness Between April 1 And November 30. NYSDEC encourages campers to use bear resistant canisters throughout the Adirondack and Catskill backcountry."

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/33889.html

The area the above post mentioned is well outside the required area.

The five or seven carries route is great paddling and can be broken down for short trips. I've only done day trips along it.

Also, check out the Northern Forest Canoe Trail.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKGuy View Post
    "NYSDEC Regulation Requires The Use of Bear Resistant Canisters by Overnight Users in The Eastern High Peaks Wilderness Between April 1 And November 30. NYSDEC encourages campers to use bear resistant canisters throughout the Adirondack and Catskill backcountry."

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/33889.html

The area the above post mentioned is well outside the required area.

The five or seven carries route is great paddling and can be broken down for short trips. I've only done day trips along it.

Also, check out the Northern Forest Canoe Trail.
    Thanks! I Think we have it narrowed down to what the St Regis outfitters have offered:

Long Lake to Tupper Lake; or
    Floodwood outpost to Tupper Lake.

This since we're flying in without any prior knowledge or time to make own arrangements once on site. Trying to make the choice based on where we'll encounter less people and more wilderness feeling (recognising that we won't escape it entirely) - do these options make sense?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    AHE 3S New River
    Suspension
    Adj. webbing
    Thanks! I Think we have it narrowed down to what the St Regis outfitters have offered:

Long Lake to Tupper Lake; or
    Floodwood outpost to Tupper Lake.

This since we're flying in without any prior knowledge or time to make own arrangements once on site. Trying to make the choice based on where we'll encounter less people and more wilderness feeling (recognising that we won't escape it entirely) - do these options make sense?
    The folks at St. Regis are great. The owner puts out THE paddling map of the area. My only concern for you is that the college kids will be back by then, so you may run into a pack of them.

I haven't done those particular routes but you can't really go wrong with any of SRCO's recommendations. If you do the Floodwood option be sure to check out SRCO's outpost. It's a cool little store with a small selection of gear, maps, tshirt, food, etc. They have a propane operated fridge/freezer and sell ice cream bars! Only power is a generator.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast