DIY
    Tarp
    ENO (for now)
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    woopies

Ridge line idea and question with Dutch gear

I'm thinking about making a tarp ridge line.
    On it I'm thinking about one end a Dutch hook on a prusik knot for tree fastening.
    On the other end I was thinking if a Dutch fly thing for making the ridge line tite.
    On the ridge line would be 2 Prusiks with Dutch hooks for clipping on to my tarp d-rings.

I think this would be a fast set up. What do you guys think?
    Will this work with 1.9 tech line?

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Burrow 20-Phoenix0
    Suspension
    Whoopies-ENO Atlas
    Check out this video for running a continuous ridgeline for a tarp.
    Buckeye Bill

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    On the end with the Dutch hook I don't think you would need a prussic. The hook would tie directly to the end of the line and 'hook' over the ridge line after you wrapped it around the tree.
    Either a 'fly' or 'wasp' would work great at the tensioning end. I just switched to a 'wasp' because it seems easier to move when you need to change its placement on the line.
    Some people find that the prussiks will sometimes slip on the ridge line but with an extra wrap it should not be a problem. The prussic makes it easy to position your tarp along the ridge line. Instead of a prussic I use a 4" UCR at each end of the tarp. Holds great and very tidy looking.
    The Dutch gear all works with 1.75 Zing-it - I would think it would also work with your 1.9 line.
    Some people like to use a separate line at each end of the tarp but my setup looks a lot like what you have planned and it works great for me.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You could just use soft shackle prusiks for attaching the tarp to the ridgeline. Dutch hooks aren't really necessary. As mentioned by Passinthru you don't really need to put the other Dutch hook on a prusik either - just go around the tree and attach it to the line.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    ENO (for now)
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    woopies
    Right now my ENO has line off of both ends and i use a truckers hitch on both trees. Its kind of a pain, and the guy line they use is coming apart pretty quick.

Ive got some spare amsteel i may make a few loops to use with it.
    I dont understand how the tarp connects to the prusiks without hooks though.

I also like the ridgeline under the tarp idea.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    A soft shackle prusik opens up and functions like a fixed carabiner if you want to try your hand at splicing versus buying more hardware. You don't need it to bear much weight so Opie's great DIY post should work. If you want to make something sturdier check out L-36.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyvp View Post
    Depending on your tarp you will need some way to attach to the prussiks. A split ring, small biner, hardware store S-hook, soft shackle (I've never seen or used one but I think that would be an application for one), etc. I am currently using Dutch ridge line biners because I like to be able to completely remove the tarp easily if needed (however, don't see a need)

*!*!*! - this stupid computer always wants to change 'biners' to 'binders' or 'niners' (whatever that is)*!*!*!
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Here is my video on my tarp continuous ridgeline

Any how I make the splices

"Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    ENO (for now)
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    woopies
    Very nice, that's what I was thinking.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyvp View Post

I also like the ridgeline under the tarp idea.
    A soft shackle prusik is, you guessed it, a soft shackle (for connecting the tarp) and a prusik (for attaching to the ridgeline.

softshackleprusik.jpg

So put the soft shackle prusik on the ridgeline, undo the soft shackle, connect it to the ends of the tarp ridgeline and you're done. You can now slide the soft shackle prusiks to center your tarp.

I never have understood ridgeline under the tarp - it's a great way to allow water to run under your tarp and drip on you. With a cat cut ridgeline, it does more harm than good. And if you're thinking of hanging stuff from the tarp ridgeline, you might want to consider tree straps. Most people don't use tree straps for their tarp because the tarp ridgeline is not used for weight bearing applications, but once you start hanging gear off the tarp ridgeline, then it is a weight-bearing application and the Zing-It could damage the tree.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts