WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow20
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch system

Top Cover Question

I’m wondering if a vent/window could be sewn into a top cover that doesn’t have one. Anyone tried this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    buckles and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel88 View Post
    I’m wondering if a vent/window could be sewn into a top cover that doesn’t have one. Anyone tried this?

I too have a bb xlc with coffin style winter cover. I tried using it on a 22 degree night and ended up soaked from condensation.

I contacted wb about retrofitting it with screen but they declined and said they could make me a new one for regular cost plus 10.00 for custom work.

I didnt wish to go that route and came up with an alternate solution .

See my thread on this board "garter clips as panel pulls"

I intend to use sheet straps to attach my poncho over the screen cover to make an improvised winter cover whenever I want.

The sheet straps are 2.50 for four of them.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBRR or Clark North American
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Reaper
    Suspension
    Cinch/Helios/Atlas
    I think I'd put a crescent shaped bit of bug mesh in with a zipper positioned near the ridgeline above your face. I'm no hammock engineer, just my thoughts.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Soon to be DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thinking about how heat rises I do believe you would need a mesh opening at the head and foot of the top cover for convection...having just one hole will cause it to "stop up" and the hot/cold air will just be trying to fight each other to occupy the same space...think of it like a roof with a ridge vent...there is usually a section on one end with venting material and an exhaust fan on the other end to "pull" the air thru the attic...in this small of a space natural convection should win out with heat rising through one and cooler air coming in through the other...my 2 cents...

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    The easiest and workable solution is to come away from the zipper by 2 inches and with a square or round whole and then sew in your mesh. Also, sew in you screen first with pre-rolled edge and cut the cloth away after. Then roll the cloth edge and run a stitch around to hold the rolled edge of the cloth.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    buckles and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggere View Post
    Thinking about how heat rises I do believe you would need a mesh opening at the head and foot of the top cover for convection...having just one hole will cause it to "stop up" and the hot/cold air will just be trying to fight each other to occupy the same space...think of it like a roof with a ridge vent...there is usually a section on one end with venting material and an exhaust fan on the other end to "pull" the air thru the attic...in this small of a space natural convection should win out with heat rising through one and cooler air coming in through the other...my 2 cents...

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've experimented with top covers, and it doesn't seem to matter how much you vent - the entire top cover gets soaked in condensation. I have a Chameleon top cover that gets soaked in condensation from end to end. While the vent may allow some moisture from your breath to escape the hammock, it doesn't do much.

The main problem is that a top cover creates a temperature differential between inside the hammock and outside the hammock - and that's always going to cause condensation inside the hammock - vent or no vent.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 12-14-2017 at 14:14.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix /Bur 30
    Images
    This was the answer I got from Branden on 12/17/17..... In regards to altering my top cover with vents...

We could harvest the zipper of an old XLC top and make a new vented top with your old zipper, we'd charge 110$ to do that. Another option is that the new top and UQP combine and you can use an old XLC inside it without the hammock needing to be compatible, you have XLC and old net top in warm weather and XLC body hanging inside new XLC sock for cold weather.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Soon to be DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    l absolutely love future responses...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow20
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch system

Top Cover Question

Thanks for all of the input. I was just trying to come up with a solution, rather than selling my XLC and getting a new one. The main reason I’d want the vent/window would be to be able to see out. Of course, if the vents helped with condensation, that’d be a plus. I just don’t really feel like selling my XLC at a loss, then paying full price for a new one......then adding an UQ protector at a $110, that I could get one of those at 2QZQ for under half the cost.
    I love my XLC. But, after much thought, it just doesn’t make financial sense for me to sell and replace.
    I’ll post back if/when I get my new sewing machine going....and maybe attempt this project.

Last edited by Weasel88; 12-15-2017 at 09:27.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast