Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line

Movie includes hiking the AT

SouthBounders

streams or available from netflix

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/South...8?trkid=438403

I suspect it's been dissed/discussed on WhiteBlaze.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Yes it has been discussed on WhiteBlaze. This movie is not a real. It is a bunch of actors basically in a make believe story. Knowing this I could not get past the first 20 minutes of it.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Just watched a documentary last night on PBS about George Masa (of Masa Knob, who mapped and with Kephart named Charlie's Bunion). Very interesting show. I learned a lot about him and about his contributions to the AT and the creation of GSMNP. Sorry, a bit OT.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY Speer type
    Tarp
    OES spin deluxe
    Insulation
    Te-wa UQ
    Suspension
    Rings and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Yes it has been discussed on WhiteBlaze. This movie is not a real. It is a bunch of actors basically in a make believe story. Knowing this I could not get past the first 20 minutes of it.
    I was looking forward to seeing it too. I didn't realize it was a bunch of actors. I might still check it out though. The trailer looked interesting to me.

Can you guys recommend any other good AT movies?
    Thanks!
    We live in a fast-paced society. Walking slows us down. ~Robert Sweetgall

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
    I didn't realize it was a bunch of actors.
    Not to pick nits but calling this "just a bunch of actors" is not really accurate. This is an "indie" film meaning it was produced by an independent group of people whose film credits are virtually non-existent. I have not seen it but I've spent a lot of time in the entertainment industry and there may be more to this film than meets the eye. I grant you, it is not a real documentary. Not was it produced to be. It was produced to be a "drama."

While it seems to be available from some on-line streaming sources the highest profile credit I can find is the recording of the musical sound track available on itunes. It is available as an indie DVD release on Amazon for $26? ugh.

Here's my point... I would not be surprised if this was someone's thesis project. It was never intended to document a real southbound AT trek. But given that it may still have some entertainment value if taken in the context of what it intended. Deliverance it ain't I'm sure based on the credits of its cast and crew. But there is a place for indie films or most of us would not be youtubing our vids for display here.

It is what it is. Don't expect too much of it and you may still get some popcorn munching time. Or even better... some chuckles that arise from first hand knowledge.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post

I hiked most of the trail in the 60's and 70's -- cherry picking and taking low hanging fruit. Then did Georgia and Maine in 98.

The first minutes are the worst and Yep it is a movie, fairly boring cuz watching is not doing ... I slid thru the flix and prolly only watched 30 min or so.

However a Thru Hiker rated it 4 out of 5 *'s and others liked it a lot.

I knew Earl Shaffer quite well (the first thru-hiker). After his trip in 48 H'wood offered to do a flick of the trip with s*x, fighting and other bogus stuff tossed in.

LD hiking in my experience is often a kind of zen thing which does not translate well to the BOP-SOCK-ZAP-CRASH-BAM-CRUNCH stuff of most modern flicks.

SOUTHBOUNDERS may be good but I didn't want to go with it last night.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have seen it. My wife said she felt robbed by the ending of the movie. But that's all it is... a movie. Like Rev was saying, 'It was produced to be a "drama." '
    I enjoyed it, but I knew what it was before I watched it.
    I rented it for free for signing up with jaman.com. If they still offer it, it could be a way to go for those of us that don't feel like paying $26 bucks for a movie they may or may not like.

Edit: jaman.com is a movie site that allows for the streaming or download of movies for a fee. They also have many free movies, most of them indie.
    Last edited by LostCause; 07-24-2009 at 16:05.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    my expectation is that you will see precious few real documentaries on the outdoors period let alone the AT. Let's face it... most of long distance hiking is one foot in front of another for hours on end. Super exciting stuff there. Man vs. Wild has rather corrupted the expectations of the public on what to expect from the entertainment industry when it comes to outdoor adventures. Even Wild Kingdom had to resort to staged settings and photographic manipulation to get the attention grabbing images they got. Major studios in association with National Geographic can bring in the wilderness on a commercially viable scale but even then you end up with lots and lots of talking heads backed up by phenomenal photographic imagery.

Yeah we could take turk's vid, splice them in with Shug's vids and add some flavor with Grizz, my blather and 2Q's tutorials and come up with the decent 90 min production but I suspect the commercial success would be less than stellar.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
    I was looking forward to seeing it too. I didn't realize it was a bunch of actors. I might still check it out though. The trailer looked interesting to me.

Can you guys recommend any other good AT movies?
    Thanks!
    Here are some recommendations.
    Appalachian Impressions
    Trek
    Walking With freedom
    2,000 to Maine

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I haven't seen Walking with freedom, but out of those other three Appalachian Impressions is my favorite.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast